Advice feel like I'm stuck in a rock and a hard place...

Options
lml852014
lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
So for the past 2 and half weeks I've been sick with a cold/congestion. I finally went to the drs on monday morning and he first told me to try a steroid nasal spray and if that wasnt helping by wed to try a z pack which he prescribed me. I told my cousin about this and she has had an ear infection for the last 3 months (she doesnt have health insurance) so she asked if I would be able to still order it if I didnt need it and she could use it for her ear infection. I said that was fine and so I did. I was going to go pick it up after wokr today when this morning my husband woke up and said hes feeling like hes coming down with the same thing I've just had. Now you always feel worse in the mornings but he asked about the z pack and I told him I was giving it to my cousin which he got rly angry about bc he pays for our health insurance and he said he wants it now. So now here I am stuck deciding who to even give this damn medicine to and I shouldnt be!!!

Replies

• lml852014
    Options
    Yeah he is and he doesnt even know if he is sick with the same thing! I am giving it to my cousin and letting him use the nasal spray I've been using for the last couple of days.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Isn't it bad to share prescriptions? Shouldn't they go to the doctors and get their own medications prescribed?
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Contributing to antibiotic resistance
  • lml852014
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Isn't it bad to share prescriptions? Shouldn't they go to the doctors and get their own medications prescribed?

Very true. Its really hard though when someone pretty much begs you and is in so much pain and its your best friend/cousin. I felt like I couldn't say no. Now I'm regretting it.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    If she's in pain she should really see a doctor. It might not be what she thinks it is and will just get worse.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't share that stuff. Just because the symptoms are vaguely similar doesn't mean he has the same thing. Did your doc do a swab before he prescribed the z pack?
  • lml852014
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    If she's in pain she should really see a doctor. It might not be what she thinks it is and will just get worse.

She cant afford to go to the drs right now
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Is she in the US? If she has a job, she should be able to get health care, or at least Medicaid. Anyway, give it to your cousin. You and your husband have insurance and he can easily just go to a same day ER clinic, get medication and get your insurance to cover it. He just needs to tell them that he's finding it more difficult to breathe. Also, trading off meds like that is not a good thing for a lot of different reasons:

1. allergies
    2. certain types of antibiotics work better for certain kinds of infections
    3. he might need a prescription to help deal with the symptoms. Antibiotics just deal with bacterial infections and do not work on viruses.
    4. Precriptions are prescriptions for a reason. They are controlled drugs and you cannot legally give someone else something that they haven't been prescribed.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    So you are admitting prescription fraud?
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't have an infection there is no reason he needs it. But really it is best to consult a doctor about any type of infection before taking antibiotics because they can prescribe the right kind and also to make sure there is an infection before taking unnecessary medications.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    Yeah he is and he doesnt even know if he is sick with the same thing! I am giving it to my cousin and letting him use the nasal spray I've been using for the last couple of days.

I wouldn't give him that. If he doesn't need it there is no point in it. Taking steroids when you don't need them is kind of pointless waste and adding stuff to your body that you shouldn't unless you have to. When my mom was having sinus problems they kept prescribing her steroids then later when she got cataract in one eye they said it was the steroids fault. And the steroids never helped her! She found natural ways to help.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Don't fill the prescription. It's a cold and you'll all get over it just fine. Tell your cousin to get insurance and take care of herself.