so frustrated... weight hasn't budged in a week

...and i've been exercising every day, watching and tracking my calories...seemingly doing everything right, but the weight isn't coming off. It's only been a month.. I CAN'T be plateauing after only losing like 7lbs...

any thoughts?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    first of all, weight loss is not linear. your period will also result in water weight gain and without having an open diary, no one can help you much beyond what i said.
  • sbernardo123
    sbernardo123 Posts: 18 Member
    didn't even realize i could "open" my diary- which i just did. not on my period, but have PCOS so the cycle is totally screwy- i could be retaining water right now, but for a whole week seems a bit wonky. I'm just feeling super frustrated after consistently seeing my weight go down, and then just stall.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    7 days is not a plateau. Usually anything less than 3 weeks is just your body readjusting. You won't see weight loss every single week, more than likely. For me, usually I might see 2 lbs one week, .6 the next, then nothing for two weeks. That's normal with weight loss...it isn't linear. Have you been taking measurements as well? You might not be losing pounds on the scale, but you might be losing inches. As the PP said, time of the month can also affect things. If you've started a new workout routine, water weight could also be a factor. That's why it's a good idea not to just go by the scale alone.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Give it more time, some weeks are like that. Weight loss is not linear, some people can go a few weeks with no loss, I used to find I'd go 3 weeks and then see a nice loss.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    You can have a conversation here to find out what she is struggling with. Unless your solution is some overpriced MLM product
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Ignore the poster who wants you to message them privately.

As others have said, weight loss isn't linear. That's how it goes. You need to look at the overall trend over several weeks or more. Especially because of a woman's cycle and how some of us retain water because of that, it's good to look at trends over longer periods of time.

Also, as another poster said, you could definitely tighten up your logging. But, there's no reason to be worried after just a week. After 6 weeks, you definitely need to change things.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2016
    1. One week really isn't a "plateau" ... give it more time
    2. Make sure you're not over-estimating your exercise.
    3. Make sure you're tracking food accurately. If you're using volumetric measurements (cups, tablespoons, etc) instead of weight for ingredients and food (or guessing portions at restaurants) then you could be consuming significantly more than you are writing down in your diary.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Your logging is not accurate. weigh everything on a food scale. also a lot of the packaged or premade foods you are eating are likely high in sodium, resulting in water retention (didnt look at macros) and do not use the generic mfp entries (ie: homemade guacamole 8 tbsp) - unless you actually input the recipe yourself and then you need to weigh it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    theres also a lot og quick add stuff.

tighten up your logging. thats your issue.
  • Sandee_Bee
    Sandee_Bee Posts: 21 Member
    @sbernardo123 Ive decidedthe scale is evil LOL. Do you keep track of your measurements? This might help. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    One side note to expand on what others are saying about tightening up logging, it may be worth looking at lowering your carb intake and increase fats. Many women see much greater success with LCHF diets while having PCOS. Now, LCHF can range from 20-140g of carbs, depending on the severity.
  • sbernardo123
    thanks folks. just a note re: logging. while i do realize i do need to tighten it up a bit, the vast majority of the quick add stuff is stuff i have actual calorie counts for and am logging correctly- but it's not in the system yet and I'm just quick adding it in because i don't feel like taking the time to add it all in. some of it is eating out and using estimates--- which is definitely a spot i can be better about. I really loved the flow chart-- thanks for sharing that!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

Definitely look at this and definitely tighten up tbe accuracy of your logging.
    Realize that some weeks you may be retaining water from things like a high sodium day, increased exercise, or hormones. If your period is approaching it is very common to not lose weight or even temporarily see the scale go up a few pounds for a week.
    A plateau is 3+ weeks with no change in your weight not 1 week.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    thanks folks. just a note re: logging. while i do realize i do need to tighten it up a bit, the vast majority of the quick add stuff is stuff i have actual calorie counts for and am logging correctly- but it's not in the system yet and I'm just quick adding it in because i don't feel like taking the time to add it all in. some of it is eating out and using estimates--- which is definitely a spot i can be better about. I really loved the flow chart-- thanks for sharing that!

I don't know, you have a lot of generic entries in there and a lot of times you're eating close enough to your recommended calories that your generic entries are probably hurting you more than you think. There are no plateaus for weight loss if you follow the rules.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    ...and i've been exercising every day, watching and tracking my calories...seemingly doing everything right, but the weight isn't coming off. It's only been a month.. I CAN'T be plateauing after only losing like 7lbs...

any thoughts?

Can't you?

Why not?

Firstly, it's easy to say but you really cannot let yourself get too frustrated. Slow and steady is the only way this can work effectively, and it needs to be a healthy lifestyle change, not just the numbers on the scale.

I lost 9 pounds in jan and feb, and then less than 2 pounds in the following 5 or 6 weeks.
    I'm now down 16 pounds.

You just have to stick with it: weigh and log all your food, keep up the exercise.

If you do that, it will go in the right direction.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »
    There are no plateaus for weight loss if you follow the rules.

I don't agree with this at all.

• sbernardo123
    edited May 2016
    LazSommer wrote:

Thanks for your advice, but I definitely don't agree where you say there are no plateaus if you follow the rules. There are plateaus even if you follow your routine to a T. It's a normal physiological process for basically everyone.
  • LazSommer
    It's calories in and calories out. Your body does not suddenly decide to not obey the laws of physics. If you continue to eat fewer calories than you burn, you will always lose weight. It is not instantaneous, which gets most people.

Thanks for your advice, but I definitely don't agree where you say there are no plateaus if you follow the rules. There are plateaus even if you follow your routine to a T. It's a normal physiological process for basically everyone.

• psuLemon
    It's calories in and calories out. Your body does not suddenly decide to not obey the laws of physics. If you continue to eat fewer calories than you burn, you will always lose weight. It is not instantaneous, which gets most people.

This is very easily said, but a bit more difficult to implement and account for the variations in energy expended and metabolic adjustments as you continue to progress. Having said that, a week is far from a plateau. Weight loss should be evaluated over a 4 week or more period of time.
  • psuLemon

One thing to keep i mind, that average professional under counts calories by as much as 400 a day. And while we would all love to think we are accurate with our logging practices, we generally are not. It's not a reflection on you, but rather our society.
  • LazSommer
    edited May 2016
    psulemon wrote: »

This is very easily said, but a bit more difficult to implement and account for the variations in energy expended and metabolic adjustments as you continue to progress. Having said that, a week is far from a plateau. Weight loss should be evaluated over a 4 week or more period of time.

A psychological plateau is not a physical one.

You have it well within your physical capacity to eat fewer calories than you burn. A physical plateau is a strength trainer being stuck at benching 285 lbs and for 4 months despite trying to progress. Or a runner not physically able to make it past the 10th mile they have been training to beat.

Not being able to accurately eat the proper number of calories is not an actual plateau, it's miscalculation. Your body is ready and able to drop the weight, you're just supplying it too much energy, which it stores.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Your "super frustration" level is too low. As you learn more about real, sustainable weight loss you may gain an appreciation for patience.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Stay on plan. Don't do anything drastic. For me it's been Monday, no change. Tuesday, no change. Wednesday, -0.2. Today, -1.4. It can be anything from bm to water to stress but just stay on plan and don't do anything drastic. And if you're posting frantic messages about weight loss, it's stress.
  • psuLemon

You have it well within your physical capacity to eat fewer calories than you burn. A physical plateau is a strength trainer being stuck at benching 285 lbs and for 4 months despite trying to progress. Or a runner not physically able to make it past the 10th mile they have been training to beat.

Not being able to accurately eat the proper number of calories is not an actual plateau, it's miscalculation. Your body is ready and able to drop the weight, you're just supplying it too much energy, which it stores.

And over time, energy expenditure will reduce. So yes, you can have a weight loss plateau, just like you can have a plateau in strength capability, of which you can get over by increasing mass or even possibility adjusting frequency. Either way, a change of plan will be required.

In the case of the OP, cleaning up logging is probably the first thing that needs to be addressed. Its potential the second is carbs due to PCOS.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    My weight didn't move for a month. I thought I was doing everything possible. I opened my diary and people said it looked good. BUT, I wasn't logging my artificial sweetener usage, which was, to put it mildly, excessive. It added an extra 30 carbs to my day. When I dropped the sweetener usage and started logging it, I started losing weight. My doctor said a plateau would be 3-4 months without losing weight, and there's usually a reason for it, like getting complacent with eating, or not dropping your calories after you've dropped a bunch of weight. One week of not losing weight is nothing to be concerned about, and it's not a plateau.
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    I wouldn't worry to much whatever you are doing today you'll see the results for in 3 months. Just think of it as putting in deposits in the bank everyday. You'll see the pay off 3-5 months down the line :wink: You have to walk by faith not by sight. Also you said you're down 7lbs!!! That's wonderful I'm happy for you. Stop and think about that if you do that every month, 3 months that's 21lbs! Keep the Trend in the right direction, and don't worry so much.
  • LazSommer

And over time, energy expenditure will reduce. So yes, you can have a weight loss plateau, just like you can have a plateau in strength capability, of which you can get over by increasing mass or even possibility adjusting frequency. Either way, a change of plan will be required.

In the case of the OP, cleaning up logging is probably the first thing that needs to be addressed. Its potential the second is carbs due to PCOS.

Are you implying that a physical plateau for weight loss is the same as your BMR lowering with weight loss? Again, that arrives at a miscalculation issue and not your body being unable to shed the poundage.

BMR and TDEE are easily enough to figure out for most of the population, and even if it wasn't 100% accurate you would still lose weight assuming your margin for loss vs maintenance isn't set to something abysmally low. Most people here have a 500 cal per day deficit. Your BMR being off by 100 calories won't prevent a loss. Eating too much does.