New here. Need suggestions for a wearable fitness trackers

Options
Hi I just started my weight-loss journey a week ago. I have about 100 pounds to lose. I bought a tracker but I keep having problems with it. Does anybody have any recommendations on a good tracker that is a decent price?

Replies

• duckforceone
    duckforceone Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    well which one did you buy, and what would you want to use it for?
    and what are the problems?
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My opinion of fitness trackers are negative. Some of my friends use the gps to post maps online, so it could be beneficial to long distance trainers. No device is going to accurately tell you how many calories you actually burn in an activity. Use a combination of the scale, mirror, tape and clothes fitting method to measure your progress. I workout 3 days a week and measure often. I set a calorie goal for a couple of weeks and adjust based on the progress of my unique self.
  • willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit charge HR for about 2 months and I love it!
  • Allanro
    Allanro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit Surge, and it works a treat.

//www.fitbit.com/user/3YPQZN
  • CoastGuardBill
    CoastGuardBill Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a Jawbone Up2 but the band broke. I just purchased a Fitbit Charge HR
  • milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR; had it for over a year now and love it. Its so easy to track with it as it syncs with myfitnesspal
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex, Fitbit Charge with heart rate monitor, and now a Fitbit Alta. The ones with the heart rate monitor are nice if you run but too bulky for me. The Flex was good but a 2 year old hand-me-down that stopped working. It also didn't display anything on it so I'd have to sinc it to my phone to get stats. I love the Alta. My wrist buzzes and displays who's calling on my phone. It's slim and comfortable to wear. Having one has really helped me step up my activity level and helped in weight loss.
  • egowens05
    egowens05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I had purchased a generic off brand tracker and every other day or so I have to Uninstall and we install the app to get it to sync.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the jawbone up 2 and love it. Really makes a big difference in my activity and food tracking.
  • daisyrg
    daisyrg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started my journey to get healthy, I need to loose 60lbs. Just got myself a Garmin vivo smart, I had a jawbone previously but broke withing a few weeks. I'm loving my new tracker especially bc is water proof and very comfortable, I can see my progress right on the band and my phone notifications and calls.
  • amcso1234
    amcso1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've used a Fitbit flex....and a Misfit (sometimes both at the same time to try and see how well they correlate). I think the flex is easy to connect to other apps, which is nice, but I really prefer the Misfit for look, ease of use, and long battery life!
  • troutgulch
    troutgulch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My daughter just gave me a Misfit Shine. I am using it to record swimming. I love the Misfit and the app that goes with it, however it isn't syncing well with MFP which is frustrating.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had to upgrade my cellphone in January. As a promotion, my cell service provider gave me a free Fitbit Charge. I promptly threw it in the back of the drawer for several months and ignored it. Recently, when I decided to try to lose weight, I pulled out the Fitbit. I'm finding that I LOVE IT! I'm finding myself walking the long way to pretty much everything just to increase my steps out (ie, several circuits around the office just to get to the bathroom, etc). It's fun to see my steps count go up, and it motivates me to walk more. My dog is loving it cuz she's getting loooong walks now.
  • sandy_beach32000
    sandy_beach32000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wear a Garmin VivofitHR Smart too. I chose it because it's waterproof, and I spend some time in the pool. I love the way it works.
  • valdovinosallyson
    valdovinosallyson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR and absolutely love it, I also think it is the most accurate. I have tried the Fitbit but I didn't end up liking it as much
  • Tucson_Traveler
    Tucson_Traveler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Vivofit 1st gen with the optional heart rate monitor. The Vivofit HR is a newer version with a few added features costs more $$. I found my Vivofit for $50 on Amazon.
  • espressomane
    espressomane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love my vivosmart HR - its waterproof as well, fitbit is not. Feel free to add me :) Meenah_Jo :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have a range of devices in the home ranging from a Special K two box tops freebie step counter, a MOOV which is like a waterproof coach, Fitbit Zip and a FitBit flex.

It all depends on what you want your device to do.

I find the Special K counter to be overly complex (three buttons!) and of course it doesn't sync to anything.

The Flex is nice even though it has a minimal display.

If you want GPS tracking and help with your pacing I've heard good things about the Garmin and the Fitbit Charge HR.

Or you could skip a separate device altogether and use your phone; MapMyRun, Endomondo, or Zombies, Run!

Come to think of it you could start with an app and get a device later when you get an idea what you really want it to do.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit One, which I mostly clip to my bra. I've worn it every day for almost 4 years. It doesn't matter to whether it is absolutely accurate, though I eat about the same number of calories it tells me I burn, so it must be accurate enough. The point for me is to remind me to keep moving. I check my step count a few times a day and get moving if it's too low. Sometimes I set mini challenges for myself. In any event, my fitbit (along with consistent logging) has been the key to my weight maintenance.
  • egowens05
    egowens05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for am the advice. I have finally got the device that I have to work properly for the time being. I eventually want to get a watch type