Should you use protein shakes if your goal is to lose weight

Options
hdayoc
hdayoc Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! I had always thought protein shakes were for people who life weights and are trying to build muscle. I have just started dieting about 3 weeks ago so my goal right now is to lose weight. Would you suggest using these? I would assume I would look for one with the lowest calories?
Any advice ? :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If it will help you meet your protein goals, why not?

Some people prefer to get their protein from food they chew, other people like protein shakes.

As long as you log the calories, they're fine for people trying to lose weight.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    No.
  • davidjzumbafitness
    davidjzumbafitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes daily and to date have lost 67 pounds. They are all very different, so read the labels. Some have high calories and are geared towards post workouts. I use EAS shakes ( 5 carbs) as a meal supplement and have had very good results.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to include protein shakes unless you find yourself low on protein on a regular basis. Or unless you just enjoy them. On the same token, there's no reason to exclude them as an option.

I don't get any exercise other than working at a pretty active job 50 hours a week. I include protein shakes 4-5 days a week to help supplement my regular daily intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and building muscle isn't just for men :) See The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess which was available through my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

As a 46 yo old women, you're in no danger of getting "bulky."

A higher ratio of muscle has many advantages, from looking better naked to being able to stay independent longer when you're older. This probably isn't on many posters' minds, but it is on mine, as my OH just had to put his mother in a nursing home as she no longer has the strength to go to the bathroom unassisted, etc.

But to answer your actual question, I do use protein powder for my breakfast smoothie. I don't look for lowest calorie foods per se, I look for ones that fill me up the most for the lowest amount of calories. Rice cakes don't have many calories, but they don't satiate me either. Protein powder generally has insignificant fat, so I always add fat, as without it I'm not satiated.

yj9z73wz8dav.png

I add a pinch of salt and use about 1.5 cups of tea for the liquid.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to meet a protein goal (good thing to do generally) and it will help then go for it.

I've just added one this week because I needed a change and thought it may also help with a creeping frozen yogurt habit that isn't very helpful because it is all carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    The first time I used MFP, in 2012, I just used the default macros: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.. This time around, I reduced my carbs and upped my protein and found this combo fills me up better, thus making it easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit. Protein powder helps with this.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes (not every day). When I'm really far off my protein goal, I will use them. CICO is all that matters, so as long as the shake doesn't go over you goal, then its fine!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I have 1-3 protein shakes every day because I hate to cook or prepare food and I don't care if I eat actual food. (Gained weight drinking.) I'm losing on schedule. As long as you're staying within your calorie goal it's purely personal preference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes have jack crap to do with weight management...gaining, losing, maintaining, whatever...they are irrelevant to any of that...they're just a supplement to help you hit your protein target. That's kind of like asking, "should I eat chicken if I want to lose weight?"...it's just irrelevant...it's just protein.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life, Raw Meal daily. One scoop contains 20 grams Protein, 8 grams carbs (1 gram sugar), 1 gram fat. It's a vegan meal replacement so it tastes pretty earthy. I used to just mix it with water, and although it was earthy and gritty, strangely enough, I would crave it. I would eat it here and there, between meals to boost my protein since my diet is mainly vegetarian (I eat chicken once a week.) and I do rely on it to bring up my daily protein intake. I just recently pulled out my blender and started making smoothies with it. OMG. It has now become my morning breakfast meal. So good. I still use water and ice to blend it, but now I add any combo of strawberries, lettuce, radishes, bananas, cucumbers, spinach, basically anything healthy that I hate actually chewing. (The bananas and/or strawberries usually cover up the taste of the veggies) The serving ends up being huge, satisfying and under 300 calories. Definitely a meal. It does lack fat, but I usually have some sorta fat shortly before or after having it depending on the day. Oh, and yes, I have been losing weight while using this, 35 lbs over the last 5 months. Log everything.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I only use shakes on a bulk and it is purely as a cheaper option to other forms of protein and because it does not fill me up the same as eating a lb of chicken. When I am cutting I am able to meet my protein goal through food and frankly I want the fullness of food that the shakes just do not give me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I only use protein shakes and bars if I am low on protein for the day. Protein has no affect on weight loss other than to keep you full.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my smoothies in the summer to meet my protein goals.

1.5 scoops gives me 41 grams of protein for 180 calories.

I look at the calories to protein ratio. If I am getting at least 1 gram of protein for each 10 calories it's all good.
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning for breakfast! I've never been a big breakfast eater at all, but when my lunch hour changed an hour later this year, my stomach was growling. So a protein shake in the morning holds me over until lunch.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    I use Garden of Life, Raw Meal daily. One scoop contains 20 grams Protein, 8 grams carbs (1 gram sugar), 1 gram fat. It's a vegan meal replacement so it tastes pretty earthy. I used to just mix it with water, and although it was earthy and gritty, strangely enough, I would crave it. I would eat it here and there, between meals to boost my protein since my diet is mainly vegetarian (I eat chicken once a week.) and I do rely on it to bring up my daily protein intake. I just recently pulled out my blender and started making smoothies with it. OMG. It has now become my morning breakfast meal. So good. I still use water and ice to blend it, but now I add any combo of strawberries, lettuce, radishes, bananas, cucumbers, spinach, basically anything healthy that I hate actually chewing. (The bananas and/or strawberries usually cover up the taste of the veggies) The serving ends up being huge, satisfying and under 300 calories. Definitely a meal. It does lack fat, but I usually have some sorta fat shortly before or after having it depending on the day. Oh, and yes, I have been losing weight while using this, 35 lbs over the last 5 months. Log everything.
    How many calories in that scoop? I like GoL products and would actually consider this on days I don't feel like eating meat.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It depends.

It's dietary protein.
    It's generally sweet tasting.
    It's generally reasonably priced when you compare cost per gram of protein.
    It's very convenient.
    It's versatile.

In my opinion it's generally a bit less satiating than other whole food sources of protein likely because most forms of whey protein are consumed as a liquid.

But, it's just protein.

Your calorie deficit is primarily going to drive changes in weight. Protein helps spare muscle and helps promote satiety while you diet, making it easier to maintain a calorie deficit.

Whether you get all of that protein from whole food sources or get some from whey is up to you.
  • hdayoc
    hdayoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Okay no one has explained the importance of protein, which looks like it needs to be addressed based on your question.

The body needs protein to maintain muscle. When you lose weight, you are not just losing fat. Muscle goes with it, and there's nothing that can be done about it except two things: ensuring you are meeting protein goals and heavy lifting. Both things help keep the muscle you have while in a calorie deficit. You will not get bulky lifting weights unless you are trying to, which includes eating at a surplus and intensive training.

So to answer your question, if you are not meeting protein goals, probably the only macro that is incredibly important, figure out a way to get there, even if it means shakes. If you don't, you may lose more muscle mass than necessary and look skinny fat.
  • Mommato5b1g
    Mommato5b1g Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast and I love them. I'm not really a big breakfast eater and I have borderline low protein so the shakes have been perfect. I have lost 27 lbs and still have 5 to go so calorie count is important. I use myprotein impact whey protein powder ( love the chocolate caramel slabor!) and it only has 100 calories a scoop. I usually just mix it with water but sometimes add a little milk. I have found it keeps me satisfied til lunch. I'll also have a shake as a snack sometimes when I have a sweet craving. My body needs protein, it helps keep me full, and it's low calorie so for me personally, it has been an excellent tool in my weight loss journey!