New to this and have depression. Anyone out there?

Options
narf11
narf11 Posts: 5 Member
Hey!
I recently realised how much weight I have put on in the last two years. I have been diagnosed with bipolar and am on medication and it's all good and under control but now I have to lose the weight... Two stone and it's crazy daunting! Like I said I'm new to this so anyone who is in the same boat as me out there please friend me! I'd love support and would love to do this journey with u guys!

Replies

• aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent. I understand the depression thing and weight gain, it sucks but doing something about my weight and sticking to it has made me feel so much better. Stick at this, it really works.
  • Arwen1218
    Arwen1218 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am back on after a two year break for a new baby and some health issues. I have depression and generalized anxiety disorder so I can definitely sympathize with the struggle. I would love to be MFP friends with you and support you as you reach your goals
  • narf11
    Options
    Thanks! So good to have people that can understand most people think it's just a matter of dieting but there is so much more to battle with when my own head and medication is the thing I am trying to deal with primarily!
    I'll appreciate the support and seeing u guys progress too!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have issues with anxiety and depression. medication helps but i find being active helps a lot too. and yoga and running helps me get out of the house and interact with people
    weight loss is hard but you are worth it
  • narf11
    Options
    Thanks! I do try and work out regular at the gym j have been doing weight lifting and am progressing but I haven't been watching my food and in not losing weight so I know the food thing is massive for me and it's actually making my depression worse...has anyone else experienced this?
  • xAmeenahx
    xAmeenahx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I completely understand where you're coming from. I recently addressed some issues I was having with my depression. I believe that once we are able to conquer the mental hurdle, dropping the weight becomes easier. Since I've been confronting my depression head on, I've been eating much better and I am simply much happier and energetic since I've been working out. I wish you the best! Feel free to add me :)
  • Andrewthetank
    Andrewthetank Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gotta watch the calories
  • raeif
    raeif Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for getting in shape but, from what I've read and seen, seems to be a smaller part of weight loss. Not to say it doesn't help, just that starting with watching your caloric and nutritional intake seems to net the best results the fastest. I think the MFP community is awesome for helping each other stay positive and keep up with the healthy eating side of it.

Also, it may sound cheesy but I also follow The Adult Side of Tumblr on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/theadultsideoftumblr/) and they often post tumblr conversations where people talk about anxiety and depression and they are very inspiring. I've got a bit of anxiety and have been struggling with depression for as long as I can remember. It's nice to know that there are plenty of people out there who understand what we are going through and can empathize, especially on those tougher days.

Good luck with your quest to get healthier, I'll send a friend request too so we can inspire each other!
  • Inspired_Momma
    Inspired_Momma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've just sent you a friend request, I'm also on the same weight loss scale and suffer from Depression and some other mental health issues.

It is daunting but its not unachievable if you just put one foot in front of the other and take baby steps.

I have found the support here amazing, looking forward to connecting more!