White bread belly bulge

Options
kalm3
kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
I had replaced my white bread for wheat bread for about two weeks and was waking up really happy feeling like my stomach looked flatter. Recently I've been eating white bread, as long as I keep it under my calories, And again feel like I did in the past with my belly sticking out of my pants and feeling bloated. I will test this again to see if it was a fluke, but I wanted to know if any of you had similar experiences. Or could share what you know about this correlation.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same amount of both types of bread?
  • kalm3
    Options

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can't really say that I get belly bloat from white bread but I have noticed that my blood sugar will rise to crazy high levels if I eat anything made from white flour. This doesn't happen with whole wheat bread, pasta, pastries, etc. I wish I could try it but I've had to lay off the white flour for good. I am interested to see what happens with your experiment, though.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this, too. All bread slices have a different weight, even from the same package
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Has your fiber intake decreased due to the change in bread? You may not be voiding your bowels as often. That can make you look bloated.
  • kalm3
    Options
    I was going to ask this, too. All bread slices have a different weight, even from the same package
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Why are you quoting people, but not responding?
  • kalm3
    Options
    Ok not sure why my replies don't seem to be coming up.

I'll try once more. I'd say 2 slices vs 6" roll though I don't know exact amount because I dont have a food scale
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    2 slices of which? Which brand/type?

6" roll of which?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    kalm3 wrote: »

I'll try once more. I'd say 2 slices vs 6" roll though I don't know exact amount because I dont have a food scale

2 slices of this and 6" of that? How long are the two slices?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It maybe, OP, that you get enough more fiber in your diet using wheat bread that your gut is moving better.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    kalm3 wrote: »

A food scale will seriously be your best friend.
  • kalm3
    Options
    hrnw4yklp5yt.jpeg
    Here is the comparison for those asking for specifics. Two slice of this bread is about 220 Cals. As for the roll I don't know what the specifics but it's about 6" long. My point was that i don't have an excessive amount of one bread vs the other. On the days when I have it I go light on eating and have chicken salad or meat with veggies for dinner.

Maybe fiber does have something to do with it. Thanks for that insight.

I will definitely be ordering a food scale asap.
    image.jpeg 1019.9K
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that 2 slices of white bread would cause you to bloat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There's actually very little discernible differences between wheat bread and white bread. My guess is the reaction is either in your head or it's the amount of bread you are consuming.
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    There's actually very little discernible differences between wheat bread and white bread. My guess is the reaction is either in your head or it's the amount of bread you are consuming.

Yes, it could very well be that you feel better about the whole grain bread and subconsciously make other better choices (like eating more vegetables with dinner).

Or maybe you're eating different foods with the different breads?
  • kalm3
    Options

Yes, it could very well be that you feel better about the whole grain bread and subconsciously make other better choices (like eating more vegetables with dinner).

Or maybe you're eating different foods with the different breads?

Yes i agree Nikolauss given the other responses I've gotten I'm starting to feel that may be exactly the case. Lol
    Thank you all for the responses.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Right. Bloating can happen if one has a sensitivity to wheat, but AFAIK white vs wheat wouldn't make a difference.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do you need bread? Try subbing a half cup of a cooked whole grain and see if it makes a difference. It's ok to go against the grain, so to speak.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Maybe also try switching to an lower calorie whole grain bread? 220 calories is a lot just to eat bread. I can have a whole sandwich with meat, cheese and mayo for your two bread slices.