Lara Bars

Options
mrsgoodwine
mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
I eat the ones with no added sugar. My favorite so far is Apple Pie. Great with some green tea. They are helping me get through the 21 day Superhero challenge (basically, no sugar, grains, alcohol for 21 days - just meat, vegetables, fresh fruit and some good fats). I have 1 a day when I am craving something sweet. Yum.

Replies

• mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    luv them 2!
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dates are basically added sugar. Edited to add that I enjoy Lara bars, and even make my own at home, but I am realistic about the sugar content.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you mean no added sugar? Because Larabars are packed with sugar.

I don't think that's a reason to avoid them, I eat them myself.

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    They're one of my favorite hiking snacks!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I know some of the ingredients have natural sugar. I am talking no added sugar...
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options

they are but it is natural sugars, no refined sugars. they usually use dates as the sweetener, not extract from dates, the whole fruit.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Dates, walnuts, almonds, apple, cinnamon and raisins. Naturally sweetened. This is the only sweet I can eat besides the fresh fruit and I only eat one a day. It has saved me from many a donut and banana split, lol
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Dates are basically added sugar. Edited to add that I enjoy Lara bars, and even make my own at home, but I am realistic about the sugar content.

I know that dates have natural sugar as well as raisins. I am in no way kidding myself. Just saying that I could be doing a lot worse....
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I just wish Lara Bars contained more protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »

they are but it is natural sugars, no refined sugars. they usually use dates as the sweetener, not extract from dates, the whole fruit.

I'm aware (I eat them myself), but I wasn't sure if the OP knew because she said she was on a no-sugar challenge. Dates are one of the sweetest fruits out there, they're commonly used to replace sugar in raw cooking. You can even make a (delicious) caramel from them.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love their simplicity. And I think I have enjoyed every flavor I've had, though I don't have them often.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    rakowskidp wrote: »
    Sounds good. I just wish Lara Bars contained more protein.

They also make these Alt bars that contain pea protein, but they don't taste quite as good as regular larabars.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Best one I've had was coconut and chocolate chip. Can't find it anymore though :(
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love Lara bars! At my target they have boxes of half size bars that are my jam right now! Sometimes I just don't want a whole one. Apple pie, cashew cookie, and peanut butter cookie are my favorites!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i loooove larabars so much ahhh the only ones i dont like are the apple ones
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Peanut Butter cookie and Chocolate chip flavors, love them!

They make "mini" ones now too that are half the size!
  • ipandicorn
    ipandicorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cookie Lara bars are a treat from the heavens!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »

I'm aware (I eat them myself), but I wasn't sure if the OP knew because she said she was on a no-sugar challenge. Dates are one of the sweetest fruits out there, they're commonly used to replace sugar in raw cooking. You can even make a (delicious) caramel from them.

These types of sugars are allowed. I guess I should have said no processed sugar.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The carrot cake and ALT pumpkin pie ones are really delicious! I think that there's coupons for them on coupons.com. BOGO or something similar.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Craving something sweet? 100 calories are in 5 prunes. They are sweet. You can have a little dessert for each meal. Functional, too.