Depo shot victory

Options
I'm going to preface this post with yes, I know a lot of people have a problem with the Depo shot and its possible side effects, and I know it's not for everyone, but it does work for a lot of women (including me). If you want to tell me about why I shouldn't be on it, I already know the risks, so thanks but no thanks.

Now..I went to my doctor today to get my shot. After taking my weight, he said "why do you weigh less than you did in January?" (I started the shots in Jan.) I just looked at him. He then said "women usually gain weight on the shot. How have you lost 25 pounds?" I told him that I workout and eat well. Then, "but it makes you gain weight." Not if you work hard, it doesn't. Point of this story: if you're thinking about going on the shot for the benefit of not having to think about your BC and getting rid of TOM, but you're scared about gaining weight, don't worry. Just because it CAN make you gain weight doesn't mean you HAVE to gain..if you work hard, you can lose while on it.

Replies

• katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm going to preface this post with yes, I know a lot of people have a problem with the Depo shot and its possible side effects, and I know it's not for everyone, but it does work for a lot of women (including me). If you want to tell me about why I shouldn't be on it, I already know the risks, so thanks but no thanks.

Now..I went to my doctor today to get my shot. After taking my weight, he said "why do you weigh less than you did in January?" (I started the shots in Jan.) I just looked at him. He then said "women usually gain weight on the shot. How have you lost 25 pounds?" I told him that I workout and eat well. Then, "but it makes you gain weight." Not if you work hard, it doesn't. Point of this story: if you're thinking about going on the shot for the benefit of not having to think about your BC and getting rid of TOM, but you're scared about gaining weight, don't worry. Just because it CAN make you gain weight doesn't mean you HAVE to gain..if you work hard, you can lose while on it.

YES! I am the exact same way. I started the depo shot in January (and thus far it has been amazing, no side effects or antyhing) and he told me I would probably gain weight. I did some minor adjustments to my diet between January and April and lost about 5 lbs. Since April since I have been making a really big effort, I have lost about 34 lbs on top of those 5lbs.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    thank you so much for posting this. i was genuinely beginning to believe i was the only person who'd EVER lost weight on the shot.

granted, i'm not losing right now. but that's because of my total lack of effort.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Anything can be an excuse for people if they want it to be as to why they can't lose weight... I have 5 kids, a husband, PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc. etc... good for you for not using it as an excuse!
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just thought I had to accept the Depo gain. I've been on it for almost a year now. I did gain about 10 pounds in that year, but in the last month I've dropped 5 by exercising and eating better. Can't wait for my yearly check up so I can show them that I beat it! :)
  • NaomiPhoto
    NaomiPhoto Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't alone in this!!! I started the Depo shot in April and I've managed to -lose- 16 lbs!!! It's awesome to know that you don't have to be the normal statistic :-D I can't wait to go back next month and show them I've lost weight!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When he told me "you should be gaining, not losing", I asked him if that was a law written down somewhere. Good for us for not letting this stuff be an excuse to not stay on track. Yes, our battle is slightly more uphill, but that never hurt anyone.
  • nhaddad
    nhaddad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi..i am an obgyn doc ..and what your doc told isn't exactly correct...the shot doesn't cause to gain weight but it increases your appetite and if you follow your appetite then you will gain weight.. and that is correct for almost all kinds of hormonal BC... if you watch what you are eating and exercised then you will lose while on the shot
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the weight gain that bothered me about the Depo shot...it was the 2 years of infertility and 2 miscarriages. I wouldn't recommend that shot to my worst enemy.

Just my .02
  • Zurelily
    Zurelily Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow! It's like you're talking about ME! I've been on the shot since March. (I got 2 shots already). And the doctor told me I'd probably gain weight - but to be honest it was never a question to take it or not, because I didn't have another choice... (Long story).

Anyway, I've managed to lose 8 kgs (which is 17.6 lbs!!) I'm so proud of myself! Sure, it was more difficult, and it took me half a year, but I don't care. It may be slow, but all that matters is that I will meet my goal someday. Getting healthy is worth the wait imo.

So congrats and keep going! I'm proud of you! We can do it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!