Will this work?

Options
I am 7-12 pounds away from maintenance. I was thinking once I hit the 9 pound weight loss, I would change my goal to maintenance and flip back and forth to losing 1/2 pound and maintaining until I find that sweet spot for eating. I tend to weigh in daily. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @diem78 I am not going for a low weight as my 5'6" frame dictates. I really think I can succeed on a weight range of 155-160 instead of trying to get to145-150 range. I found in the past the lower weight range was not working, it took too much work to stay there. I would have to exercise a lot more than I exercise now. I only walk 3x week, which is a very brisk walk lasting one hour. This gives me 400 extra calories to eat. I love to eat!
  • llbrixon
    Options
    So, I am thinking that to get to this weight will not be a problem. Your thoughts. ...
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself daily, but consistently (and accurately) log your food.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Weighing daily is absolutely fine as long as you just regard it as data.

Your plan is fine but I prefer to adjust calorie goal manually rather than change from lose x amount or maintain current weight. Gives a bit more granularity.

Personally I didn't find the last few pounds any different or any more difficult.
    Still a P.I.T.A. to be in a deficit when you enjoy your food! :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and have been maintaining just fine. :) Do what you're comfortable with. You won't stick with it if you're miserable, so I think you have a good plan.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself daily, but consistently (and accurately) log your food.

I've always weighed daily (while I was losing, and for the last 14 years of maintenance).
    I don't generally log.

OP: what about finding a "natural" rhythm? For me: being stricter during the week, and more lax on the weekends always worked well for maintenance.
  • llbrixon
    Options
    @sijomial I need to see if I can play with the calorie adjustments. I know we can, I just need to figure it out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    On your PC.....
    Home Page
    Goals
    Edit daily nutrition goals.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with what you are planning as long as you are fine with much slower weight loss.

I also weigh myself daily and have for probably the last 10 years. It has really been helpful for understanding natural weight fluctuations. I also find it helpful for understanding what happens to my weight during splurging periods (holidays, family events, vacations). I typically don't have to cut after a splurge to maintain a normal weight range (except maybe a long vacation).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me...
  • llbrixon
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily. that way i recognize the patterns, and don't freak out if my weight goes up a bit. i have been about 10 or 12 lbs away from my goal for a couple of months i think. same as you i decided to up my calories a bit just to see what works. 1 am now eating slightly over 1200 calories, instead of a flat 12. i have also been a bit lax with fruits and veggies. sometimes i don't log all of them. best of luck with your plan:-)
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    In my case losing the "last" 10 has been the hardest, and to get there I have to exercise more and eat less than what I did to lose 45 lbs, and it hasn't been any faster...I tried eating a little more but NOPE my weight stayed the same
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am between 5 - 10 lbs away from my weight loss goal and things have certainly slowed down after the first 40lbs came off. Lo and behold, after closely analyzing the reports generated my MFP, I noticed my deficits have been getting smaller over the last month and I have been slightly over my calorie goal more frequently - not by much but still over. I have been eating just a little too much.

So instead of focusing on a specific goal weight, I have decided to lower my cal intake to 1100 calories per day for the next 4 weeks while increasing my daily calorie burn to 500 cals instead of 300. And really, really log carefully. Not sure exactly how much of the exercise calories I will eat back - it will depend on how feel.

Hopefully I can lose the last 10 lbs. then when I am 3-5 lbs away I will consider re-balancing again as you are describing.

I really don't want to lose momentum this close to my goal. At the same time I want to start maintaining approximately mid-July.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    I am between 5 - 10 lbs away from my weight loss goal and things have certainly slowed down after the first 40lbs came off. Lo and behold, after closely analyzing the reports generated my MFP, I noticed my deficits have been getting smaller over the last month and I have been slightly over my calorie goal more frequently - not by much but still over. I have been eating just a little too much.

So instead of focusing on a specific goal weight, I have decided to lower my cal intake to 1100 calories per day for the next 4 weeks while increasing my daily calorie burn to 500 cals instead of 300. And really, really log carefully. Not sure exactly how much of the exercise calories I will eat back - it will depend on how feel.

Hopefully I can lose the last 10 lbs. then when I am 3-5 lbs away I will consider re-balancing again as you are describing.

I really don't want to lose momentum this close to my goal. At the same time I want to start maintaining approximately mid-July.

So you NET at 600 a day?

• KareninLux
    Options

So you NET at 600 a day?

Nope - not that low likely! Probably around 800 - we will see how it goes!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

So you NET at 600 a day?

If you eat 1100 and burn 500 you NET 600!

But 800 is even far to low

1200 NET is the minimum for women.

Why deprive yourself when you really dont have too.

But good luck to you. :)
  • KareninLux
    Options

So you NET at 600 a day?

If you eat 1100 and burn 500 you NET 600!

But 800 is even far to low

1200 NET is the minimum for women.

Why deprive yourself when you really dont have too.

But good luck to you. :)

Don't worry - I know what the recommendations say ... no worries... - it will vary day to day just how much of the exercise cals I eat back as I mentioned - am just trying to increase the net deficit.
    I don't deprive myself of much! Thanks for your comments!!