No bake dessert recipes?

Options
CooCooPuff
CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
When you're an adult out of school, not working in education, summer sucks.

Even with the air conditioning, the house would get unbearably hot. I'm used to just sticking to the slow cooker or skillet for my meals but sweets are another story.

I made this tonight, but what are some of y'alls favorite no bake desserts? I'd prefer something that doesn't need to take up a lot of the limited freezer space.

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yogurt and fruit and almonds is a favorite for summer. Sometimes as a dessert sometimes as a meal.

Usually if I want a really good baked dessert I pick something up at a local bakery.

I don't quite understand how summer sucks for an adult out of school not working in education or what it has to do with choices of sweet treats. I am an adult that has been out of school for 27 years. While I do work for an educational institution I am not a teacher. I enjoy summer as much as any other season. Maybe a little more than winter.

• NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Apple
    Cinnamon
    FEW raisins (optional)

Mix together, microwave for 2 min. Top w/a dollup of cold plain or vanilla yogurt.
    Very satisfying!
  • CooCooPuff
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't quite understand how summer sucks for an adult out of school not working in education or what it has to do with choices of sweet treats. I am an adult that has been out of school for 27 years. While I do work for an educational institution I am not a teacher. I enjoy summer as much as any other season. Maybe a little more than winter.
    See, winter is my favorite time of the year. I love Houston, but the weather gets really unbearable during the summer. :disappointed:
    Even now, it "feels like" 90.

I'm mainly looking for dessert recipes for the actual cooking process, even the pecans were fun to make, not as much for the final product.
  • ginnyraye08
    ginnyraye08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I loooove an ice cold parfait in the summer!! Fresh berries, granola, light yogurt. And I also like to make instant pudding and let it set in little pre made graham cracker crusts. Maybe not the most healthy but the little crusts help me with portion control
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    See, winter is my favorite time of the year. I love Houston, but the weather gets really unbearable during the summer. :disappointed:
    Even now, it "feels like" 90.

I'm mainly looking for dessert recipes for the actual cooking process, even the pecans were fun to make, not as much for the final product.

Ah yes a lot does depend on your location. Here in western PA it rarely gets into the 90's in the summer. Winter's aren't bad but my joints feel the cold more every year.

I am going to Oklahoma to visit a friend in July and I expect the heat there to be a new and rather intense experience.

Another simple favorite is to make trifle. Pudding with whipped cream and fruit and vanilla wafers. Or pudding with some oreos crumbled into it and cool whip.

There is this local favorite Strawberry pretzel pie that is interesting and strangely actually quite nice.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17757/strawberry-pretzel-pie/
  • babysteps2skinny
    babysteps2skinny Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/YkLUb7xd72A

Click on the pic to take you to the recipe. I am dangerously addicted to this one. The good thing is, there is no more left when you finish other wise I would end up eating a weeks worth of calories...lol
  • babysteps2skinny
    babysteps2skinny Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/GosdK0TjQkI

This one is amazing for hot days and literally just assembling stuff...lol again you can click on the pic for the recipe...sorry I'm about to sleep and too lazy to type all ingredients :(
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    -Melt 32 grams of peanut butter, 34 grams dark chocolate chips, 14 grams coconut oil. Add in 14 grams of honey and 16 grams of rice krispies. Pour it into a mold of some kind and refrigerate.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Spread cool whip (1/2 inch thick)on graham cracker then another graham cracker, freeze over night "Icecream" sandwhiches mmmm
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you have a mixer (hand or stand) get some heavy whipping cream. Whip 1/2 c cream with 1tbsp sugar. Beat 2-3 min on high to a whipped cream consistency.

Makes 1 cup whipped. Great to top of berries, fresh fruit slices or a dollop on some chocolate pudding.
  • prodigywithapen
    prodigywithapen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got one!
    1 cup of oatmeal(you can use gluten free oatmeal if you need/want to)
    2 two bananas
    2 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips
    2tablespoons peanut butter(I use Wowbutter due to a peanut allergy).
    1 cookie sheet with either parchment/wax paper, or spray a little cooking spray on it.

Instructions:
    Peel the bananas and break them up in a bowl. Use a fork to mash them up good!
    Add the peanut butter and mix well. (Mix mix Mix!!)
    Add the chocolate chips and mix....again.
    Add the oatmeal and...you guessed it....MIX!

Roll into tablespoon size balls, and it gets messy! Place on the cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer for 30 minutes! It's a really great snack after a workout, or if you just need a little pick me up ;)
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    "Snickers", stuff a date with crunchy peanut butter, drizzle or dip in melted chocolate. So good!
  • schlerin
    schlerin Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Crock pot cake.

1 can cherry pie filling
    1 box dark chocolate cake mix
    1/2 - 1 cup butter softened
    Mini chocolate chips and cherry chips on top if desired

Dump the cherry pie filling in bottom of crock pot (I have a 3-cup slow cooker). Mix up the cake mix and butter and cover top of pie filling. Top with mini chocolate chips and cherry chips. Cook on low 2-3 hours until cake is set. Serve plain, or with whipped cream, or frozen yogurt, or ice cream.

Have also made this with apple pie filling, spice cake, and caramel topping
    Or blueberry pie filling and yellow cake.

• schlerin
    Options
    Yoplait Whips. Stick in the freezer for an 30min- to an hour, til cold but not super hard.
  • Beautyinthemoonlight
    Beautyinthemoonlight Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit is nice to eat on a warm day. Berries, bananas and grapes are my favourite.

Dip berries into a small amount of melted chocolate. Freeze them or if you can't resist, eat them as is.

Banana ice cream: Freeze a banana overnight. Remove from freezer and cut into slices. Put in a food processor or blender (add a sprinkle of cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa powder if you want extra flavour). Place in a bowl and enjoy.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    Banana ice cream: Freeze a banana overnight. Remove from freezer and cut into slices. Put in a food processor or blender (add a sprinkle of cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa powder if you want extra flavour). Place in a bowl and enjoy.
    Real ice cream tastes too good for that nonsense

schlerin wrote: »
    Crock pot cake.

1 can cherry pie filling
    1 box dark chocolate cake mix
    1/2 - 1 cup butter softened
    Mini chocolate chips and cherry chips on top if desired

Dump the cherry pie filling in bottom of crock pot (I have a 3-cup slow cooker). Mix up the cake mix and butter and cover top of pie filling. Top with mini chocolate chips and cherry chips. Cook on low 2-3 hours until cake is set. Serve plain, or with whipped cream, or frozen yogurt, or ice cream.

Have also made this with apple pie filling, spice cake, and caramel topping
    Or blueberry pie filling and yellow cake.
    How messy is this? I've wanted to try dessert in the slow cooker, but it seems like it would be such a pain to clean up. I use liners for dinners. Would that be fine for a cake?
  • schlerin
    Options

[/quote]How messy is this? I've wanted to try dessert in the slow cooker, but it seems like it would be such a pain to clean up. I use liners for dinners. Would that be fine for a cake?
    [/quote]

Liners would probably work fine. The pie filling on the bottom helps keep the cake from sticking. I use my fingers to mix and wind up covered in cake(which is great for taste-testing!), but you can use forks or a spoon. Otherwise I have taken the ingredients with to work and mixed it up in the break room with no fuss. Hope this helps!

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    http://raiasrecipes.com/2014/03/avocadograsshoppers.html
    http://www.foodbeast.com/news/heres-how-to-make-avocado-ice-pops/
    http://www.hipurbangirl.com/2011/06/make-this-avocado-cocoa-mousse.html
    http://www.foodbeast.com/news/gordon-ramsay-castration/ (there is actually a recipe in here, don't let the name in the link scare you...lol)

(Can you tell I like avocados?)

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook

I've tried most of these...fabulous. I love the chocolate avocado pops. They do take up a little space in the freezer, but don't worry....they won't be in there very long :)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love icebox cakes. I made mine with graham crackers, ricotta (sweetened with a bit of sugar and vanilla extract) instead of whipped topping and strawberries. Layer everything and put it in the fridge for a few hours. So tasty. I left it overnight and had it for breakfast... There are chocolate 'eclair' variations of that too...

Or check no bake cheesecakes on Skinnytaste.

Trifles are awesome too (I made my own cake and pastry cream but you can use whipped topping, vanilla pudding and store-bought cake instead).