Is eating less meat a good way to lose weight?

Options
Hello I'm not new, but haven't been on here in about 4 years. Has anyone succeeded at losing weight by limiting meat consumption?

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It wont help you lose weight unless eating less meat lowers your daily calorie intake enough to put you in a deficit.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If a majority of your calories comprise of meat, and without changing anything else in you're diet, then it's possible to lose. But only for the simple fact that limiting the meat made you cut calories which made you go into a deficit. You will lose weight by limiting calories, regardless of whether it's meat or not.

Is it a good way to lose weight? No. Not if you like meat.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as you maintain a caloric deficit - you'd lose weight.

Simple terms- if you burn more than you eat- you will lose weight.

Now nutritional food is good for health but "bad" food will still allow you to lose weight if you maintain deficit.

Key here is deficit
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I got fat while vegetarian, stayed fat while vegetarian, then lost weight while vegetarian. So, based on my n=1 research, avoiding meat is completely irrelevant to weight loss.

(Seriously: Even though I've been vegetarian for 41 years and don't plan to change at this late date, I think it might be easier to get adequate protein at a reasonable calorie level while eating meat/fish . . . and IMO, eating enough protein is helpful during weight loss. For many of us, protein is satiating. And there's decent research evidence that eating enough protein helps preserve lean body mass while in calorie deficit, which should help one's metabolism in the longer run.)
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Why are you interested in limiting meat intake? Please clarify?
  • gothicangeldreamer623
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    It wont help you lose weight unless eating less meat lowers your daily calorie intake enough to put you in a deficit.
    You do need meat in your diet. But sticking to lean meats helps cut out unnecessary fat in your diet. Don't eat too much red meats because they can be bad for your health and heart. We just discussed this in my nutrition class last month.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You do need meat in your diet. But sticking to lean meats helps cut out unnecessary fat in your diet. Don't eat too much red meats because they can be bad for your health and heart. We just discussed this in my nutrition class last month.

Millions of people around the world live healthy lives with a vegetarian, vegan, or other plant-based diet. I really don't think you can say that meat is required in a diet.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Millions of people around the world live healthy lives with a vegetarian, vegan, or other plant-based diet. I really don't think you can say that meat is required in a diet.

Without modern vitamin supplements you definitely need animal product in your diet, but that could be dairy. No vegan diet would supply vitamin B12 without the wonders of science.

With proper vitamin supplements there's no reason you couldn't eat an all-plant diet.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer CALORIES is a good (the only way, actually) way to lose weight. Doesn't matter where the calories come from.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I have reduced my meat intake simply because I can't eat a 1200 calorie rib eye and lose weight. That will be rough even at maintenance. I typically go fish or chicken breast to get more bang for my caloric buck, and have smaller steaks now and again.

Eliminations in diets need to be sustainable. If you like meat, eat meat...within your goals.
  • marhea
    marhea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Meat is important to get your protein and other nutrients It just depends on how you cook your meat. Example For me, boiled/baked chicken and broccoli is satisfying for me, yes it does sound boring and bland. Eat meat if you want to. Make sure to weigh the meat and read its content.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think people mistake losing weight related to veganism or being vegetarian because there aren't very delicious alternative out in the market yet lol

For example since I've turned vegetarian - I have not eaten out properly and that's like 5 months -whatever I tried was mediocre at best and my homecooked food tastes far better. So eating at home means better logging and tracking intake.

Once McDonalds and other big fast food joints starts rolling out full fledged vegan menus - then we will have obese vegans as well who thought changing from one type of diet to another was the answer instead of doing a deficit and eating whatever.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    All of the above: you must be in a deficit to lose weight...what balance of protein, carbs, fats is up to you. For me though protein is a huge part of my calorie consumption simply because for me it has a much longer staying power when it relates to hunger.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It honestly has very little to do with what you eat and has everything to do with how many calories you eat. Get yourself into a calorie deficit. Get a food scale and measure and weigh everything.