Low carb diet - constipation

Options
I'm on a 1200cal diet with 35% carb.
Most of the source of my carbohydrates are beans, whole e grain and vegetables already. But I am still not able to meet the minimum amount of dietary fiber and got constipated.
Any solution for this?
Thanks and sorry for my poor English!

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    You could try a adding a fiber powder like Metamucil to your diet. They have a sugar free orange drink on that is about 11g of carbs for 2 rounded tablespoons. You could maybe start with 1 tablespoon and see how it goes, that would only be 5.5g of carbs. Good luck! I'm on a medication that slows me down a lot and I struggle with this often. I haven't tried this myself, but I think I might give it a go!

http://www.metawellness.com/en-us/products/metamucil-fiber-supplements/sugar-free-orange-smooth
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Metamucil and prunes.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's always best to get your fiber from the food you eat. Since your carbs are so limited, try to mainly eat veggies and grains that are higher in fiber; for instance, zucchini, cucumber, mushrooms, and carrots, (to name a some) have less fiber than foods like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, black beans, or oats.

You could also add chia seeds to your diet. They don't add very much flavor to food, but they have a good fiber content without adding to many calories. Just soak them for a few hours in liquid before you eat them as it helps make them more easily digestible.
  • spongebobelaine
    spongebobelaine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
    I also prefer to get my Fibre from whole food. Chia seeds and prune sounds like good idea. I will give them a go! ;)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with the chia seeds. I mix them in yogurt with some water since chia seeds absorb it.
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are great, so are leafy greens like spinach, I eat around 3 cups a day and it is only about 3-4 carbs not counting fiber
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you eating? How much water are you drinking? Increasing both can help!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Best way I know of is walking, drinking lots of water and eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Metamucil or Citrucel works well, but I wouldn't use it habitually.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just eat like...double the veg. Also make sure you're getting enough fat.
  • gabemunoz72
    gabemunoz72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to add Metamucil as well. Same issue. Chia seeds too.
  • spongebobelaine
    Options
    My ratio was 45p/30c/25f at first .
    Then I changed to 40p/30c/30f.
    now I have change to 40p/35c/25f

I want to lose fat. I heard more protein and low carb can help lose fat...
    Which ratio is better?
  • spongebobelaine
    Options
    I drink 2l of water minimum and I also eat yogurt
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    it doesn't matter what your macros are for weight loss. You can lose the same amount of weight eating 60% carbs, like I often do. Honestly, it's all a matter of cico, thus chose food you can eat for the rest of your life, and not what some people suggest in some crazy diets. If possible I would up fat though as it's both grait for your brains and for digestion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fat- people drop carbs -often increasing fiber and forget they need fats.

More fat. Get thee to five guys or white castle and grease the tracks you'll be good to go in no time.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't take fiber supplements like metamucil etc. Just eat real food. And volume is key to avoiding constipation because the bulk increases movement through the colon. Instead of adding fats like others are suggesting, use those calories instead for potatoes, rice, more beans and lentils and also fruits.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The fat totally does it.
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eat spinach and more celery, both of those have massive amount of fiber and are low carb and yes adding more fat helps, but if you are truly doing low carb look at your potassium and magnesium levels too, supplementing your diet with those help.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fat helps me, and I eat very LCHF. Nuts or coconut oild helps get things going... except when the fat is in cheese form.

Lower magnesium levels can slow things down too. A magnesium citrate supplement will get things going. Magnesium oxid will REALLY get things going.