Drink Water while Running?

Options
What is the best way to drink water/hydrate while running long distances? Does anyone recommend a belt that holds water bottles? Also, how much should I be drinking on a run? Also, what is the best way to drink from the cups along the race? I always seem to spill it all over myself or swallow more than I want.:drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I run with a belt. Generally, if you're running over an hour, you need to have some hydration. I love my belt, it's by fuelbelt. It has a handy pocket in the front to hold gels and such. Make sure you hydrate! As far as when racing goes, I'd love to know that answer, it ends up all over me!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I usually don't need to hydrate until I hit ~6 miles. Usually I'll just carry a water bottle, stop for a moment, and take a swig. If I'm in a race I'll toss 90% of the dixie cup, semi-crush it so there is an angle in the rim, and down it like a shot.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've used a variety of the hydration belts over the years - 1 bottle, 2 bottles, camelbak style, and never run without it. The amount of water just depends on how fast you go through it.

Some runners deliberately hide extra water along their running route, run loops that come back to the car for refills, or run past places with water fountains and bathrooms to refill. So you do have lots of options.

As for races, I rarely rely on the race course for my liquids.

This is how I do it for races:
    5k... I don't drink anything.
    10k... carry a small hand-held bottle, just to wet my throat.
    10K+... use my own hydration belt w/ 1 bottle.

I just don't like the cups, stopping at water tables, or spilling half the drink on me, so I bring my own.

If you do drink from the cup, the trick is to squish the top of the cup so it funnels out.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Are you training for a race? If so, take a look at the aid stations for your race and start to plan for race day.

Also, I bug all of my runners in my pacegroup to always keep fluids with them, in case they are thirsty in between aid stations, or if in case the aid stations run out. Hey, it happens. I definitely recommend a fuel belt or a camelback. Although, the camelbacks can be a pain to clean.

There are recommendations for how much you should drink, but really, you should be drinking based on your sweat rate. Drink how much you think you should be. Weigh yourself before your long run. Weigh yourself afterward. If your weight is over 1% less than it was before, you should be drinking more. If your weight actually goes up, you probably drank too much.

Bend the cups and drink, or walk through the aid station.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take fluids every 20 minutes minimum. Chances are when you start to feel dehydrated, you already are.

I have two things I use when running and it depends on how far I go. For shorter runs, I wear a belt with 4 bottles attached to it. For longer runs I wear a Camelback... basically a backpack with a straw that holds 2 liters of water.

Best way to drink from the cups is to fold the mouth in half and pour it into your mouth. With practice, you'll get better at this... otherwise slow down during the water stations to ensure you are drinking it and not spilling it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I use a handheld (if anything), other times I'll just stop at a drinking fountain along the way. Our weather in So Cal is still cool (June gloom) this morning I ran 10 and didn't need any water. If the sun were beating down on me, it would be a different story.

Like lots of stuff, how you carry water is all personal preference. I HATE single bottle waist carriers, they have far too much bounce for me. Some people use them all the time. My running partner uses a Fuel Belt. I have one, but I haven't used it in years. The hand held makes me the happiest.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds/hydraform-handheld-pocket
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    And also, because I don't think anyone else talked about this, when running "long" distances, it's probably important to start using some sort of electrolyte replacement. Gatorade, Gatorade Endurace, or your favorite variety. It is a good idea to find out what kind they will be using in the race and prepare for it. Sometimes, these things can affect a runner's stomach differently or not at all.

I would recommend these types of drinks for a half marathon or longer, personally... or shorter distances if it is a pretty hot or humid day. However, everyone is different.

Not replacing your electrolytes can lead to imbalance, which can result in stomach troubles, sausage like fingers, lethargy, cramps, and in extreme cases, seizures and death.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    I like to carry this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Direction-Fastdraw-Extreme-Hand-held/dp/B003A7XFSO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1309285598&sr=8-7

you just squeeze it to get the liquid out. It has a pocket which is nice.

Took me a while to get used to and now I don't mind it at all...I just can't tolerate the belts on my hip with any weight in it...drives me bonkers. Though I suppose I could get used to that as well if I decided too!!

I don't know if you've tried the fuel belts, but I thought I'd be the same way. The only time it gets annoying to me is if my shirt isn't long enough and it starts to ride funny because of the belt. The vast majority of the time, I personally don't even feel it.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I did a 1/2 marathon June 4th, I have a 2 bottle belt, I put gatorade in the bottles. it helped alot having that with me.... drank the water from the stations..... =)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I carry water bottles with straps on them that way I can run without holding onto the bottle really. You can find them next to the running water belts at most sporting good stores. Water cups, I find that crushing it a bit and taking a breath then sipping helps not choke me.

As far as how much a good way to test is to weigh yourself before a run and after and that is a good guage for how much water you may need to drink on a run.......runnersworld.com for more info.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I use my Amphipod handheld bottle for shorter runs:
    http://amzn.to/lO89Bi

And I use my 70oz Camelbak for longer training runs. For races, just use the handheld and refill at aid stations. Unless it's a short race (10K or less), then don't even take a bottle!
  • marymargaretfurlong
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. Guess I'm off to buy a fuel belt. Marathon training in DC is too hot not too :smile: