Does a 10 pound weight loss really make a difference?

Options
I'm 5'1 121.5 pounds (highest was 132) and I've just hit my 10 pound weight loss mark. Even though I'm short I don't really notice a difference...when did you start noticing the changes in your body? 15lbs? 20lbs?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Depends what % the loss is of your weight. At your weight 10lbs should actually be visible. I've lost 12lbs and I'm about 153lbs now and it is visible.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You've really not noticed any difference?! I'm the same height as you, currently 142lb, and I've had more comments and noticed bigger differences in my body since I lost the most recent 8lb than I have for the previous 60!! I would have thought that at your lighter weight you would see some change?

Perhaps try taking pictures to compare?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've put on 7lbs from my normal weight and can tell a massive difference
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It should make a big difference at that weight, have you been taking progress photos? I find them extremely useful for being able to seeing progress. The changes day by day are so subtle you might not notice them, but when you have two pics a month or two apart it's really obvious.

I go from slightly chubby to visible abs in 10lbs, and I've recently done just that; if you look at my pics there's a front double bicep pose where I have my glasses on. There is a -10lb difference between that pic and my current profile pic.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Your clothes should definitely be looser
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and lost from 130 to 100-105 maintenance range. I found the real difference came when going from 120 to 110.
    The main thing in that range was that the benefit of exercise was starting to show too. I had a stronger core, my tummy was looking much smaller, and my arms and legs were showing a little muscle. (Combination of fat loss and strength training, no actual muscle mass increase)

Cheers, h.
  • Ckminnie
    Ckminnie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", started out at 131 lbs, lost 18 lbs and as soon as I stopped tracking I rapidly gained back 8 of it. I noticed and despised that 8 lbs. I have been tracking again for a week and have lost 3 and already notice the change. Where do carry your extra weight? I carry mine in my butt and thighs and so I know it by how my pants feel.
  • Ckminnie
    Ckminnie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", started out at 131 lbs, lost 18 lbs and as soon as I stopped tracking I rapidly gained back 8 of it. I noticed and despised that 8 lbs. I have been tracking again for a week and have lost 3 and already notice the change. Where do carry your extra weight? I carry mine in my butt and thighs and so I know it by how my pants feel.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just hit 12 lb today but I know how you feel! I didn't notice or feel anything but pictures help a little bit.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For every 5 Lb loss for me it's a dress size.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight. 10lbs loss meant I felt slimmer but was by no means an ideal weight. People started to notice I had lost at that stage.
    Every 10lbs for me was a dress size.
  • loseitgirl13
    loseitgirl13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies! I probably just haven't noticed a difference since I see myself in the mirror everyday...and I haven't taken much progress pictures because I was disgusted with the way I looked before lol. My goal weight is 100-110 pounds since I was my healthiest and happiest at that weight. Good luck to you all!
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't notice that much if I'm honest aside from clothes feeling a tad looser. I have to look at older pictures.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didn't really pay attention I guess. I am 5'5 started at 164 lbs. One day I woke up, out on my size 12 jeans, and realized they were really saggy. I was down to 134 lbs. I went to the same store all my jeans are from, grabbed a couple size 10, 8, and 6 jeans, knowing very well the sixes would be way too small. To my surprise, the size 6 was still too big and I could comfortably fit into a size 2 or 4. That'd when I noticed how small I had gotten.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Your loss should be visible OP. Did you take measurements? 10 lbs on a 5'4" 250 lb woman may not be very visible, but with your stats, I'm sure it is.

When I first started I noticed a difference around 5-10 lbs. At my current weight/body composition I will notice a difference within 2-3 lbs.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pets? I have two cats- one 8 lbs and one 13 lbs. That's how I think of weight. You lost one entire Archie's worth!! Good job!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 121.5 pounds (highest was 132) and I've just hit my 10 pound weight loss mark. Even though I'm short I don't really notice a difference...when did you start noticing the changes in your body? 15lbs? 20lbs?

Walking up stairs, hills. Getting in and out of bed. Energy levels. You should absolutely feel a difference yourself in the loss of this that you were carrying around...

14612691996_c18e626473.jpgTen

If not, toss one of those in your purse and walk around all day with it. B) You'll notice...

The loss is usually so gradual that you and your body adapt bit by bit making it hard for you to nice the drastic change of 10 pounds. The same would be true when you hit 15 pounds of loss, and 20 pounds of loss.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies! I probably just haven't noticed a difference since I see myself in the mirror everyday...and I haven't taken much progress pictures because I was disgusted with the way I looked before lol. My goal weight is 100-110 pounds since I was my healthiest and happiest at that weight. Good luck to you all!

I agree with this OP! It's hard to notice real differences in ourselves because we do see ourselves everyday.

Many people with a lot more weight to lose often don't see much of a difference with 10 lbs but as you get to a lower weight, the difference is more substantial with each lb.

Losing 10 lbs close to my happy weight makes me go down a jeans size! I'm 5'5 and 130. The difference between 130 and 140 for me was very noticeable to others but not so much with me.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work and you're vision of yourself will eventually adjust!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

When I started I was over 200 and it took about 20 lbs to notice any difference. However, I notice a significant difference between 135 and 125 (I'm 5'3), and suspect that I will see a difference between 125 and 120 should I ever manage to focus on losing again (and should it be a mainly fat loss).

Sometimes it's hard to see yourself clearly -- try measurements and photos, perhaps?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 10 pounds :)