Early morning gym

Options
To eat breakfast or not to eat?

Do you eat before you gym early mornings or do you wait till after?

I seem to not have an appetite early in the mornings but im wondering will this affect my strenght training?

Replies

• mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, if you feel pretty strong by the morning then you can go on an empty stomach, but I would suggest take something fast and easy digestive.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually get to the gym by 8:30 in the morning. I always have a cup of coffee and some variation on a protein shake (whey protein isolate, fruit, oats, almond milk) as working out on an empty stomach results in me getting very nauseous and dizzy. Everyone is different, but that's what works and has been working for me for quite some time now.
  • trevorburwick189
    trevorburwick189 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I typically eat something before the gym at 5:30 and then my protein shake afterwards. Occasionally I'll make egg white with half a bagel if still hungry. Depends mainly on my workout.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've trained in the morning for years... For me, It depends on what you can stomach really. I can have a proper breakfast (Eggs\Porridge etc) on Bench\Shoulder\Upper Days, but only cereal on Lower days. For lower days, I tend to eat a few more calories the night before, to compensate

Shouldn't really affect training IMO, as long as you get the right calories in through the day
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I typically wait until after my training to eat breakfast. And that's usually an hour or so after, as I don't typically end up eating until I get to work.
  • sdahir
    sdahir Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I think il have a light breakfast before as i would want to have some energy.

• sdahir
    sdahir Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I typically wait until after my training to eat breakfast. And that's usually an hour or so after, as I don't typically end up eating until I get to work.

I usually eat at my desk at work too as i have no time at home..guess i have to make the time !
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Agree with most comments. A lot will come down to personal preference, although it will benefit your strength training to eat some carbs before you lift.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I go to the gym very early. Never eat before I go. It makes me feel sluggish when I am exercising.
    I just bring a water bottle along.
    I also eat after I arrive at work at my desk.