Gained 2 1/2lb

Options
So my week has been up and down, some days I've stuck to my calories other days I've gone way over, I've only been to the gym once the rest of my exercise was through walking.
So imagine the shock (not) when the scales said +2 1/2lb this morning, in the past I would have been so mad with myself and admitted defeat, but no I feel good, I know I could have ate better and moved more and I plan to do that today.
2 1/2lb = 8750 calories over maintenance.
I only consumed 13791 in the last 7 days and earned 2761 from exercise (which is grossly over estimated on mfp) but haven't ate those back.
There is no possible way I have gained 2 1/2lb as I haven't eaten enough to do so. I'm no longer afraid of the scale, I know that sometimes a + just means water weight or maybe because it's my time of the month.
Today is a new day, and I will continue with my battle with food, but I will conquer and reach my goal

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Don't be a slave to the scales, ignore it. Keep doing the right things and you'll get where you're going.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    You're right you didn't gain 2.5. If you just started working out you may be retaining water. Or you weighed atva different time in the day. Or the scale wasn't in the same spot. Or you were at a different place in your elimination cycle.

Weight fluctuates for lots of reasons. Look at trend over time.
  • LookingforWhatsHerName
    LookingforWhatsHerName Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying here. I am in a similar boat, except my gain is more than likely real as I lost my d**n mind these last few weeks and ate like 300-400 over maintenance everyday!
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You're right you didn't gain 2.5. If you just started working out you may be retaining water. Or you weighed atva different time in the day. Or the scale wasn't in the same spot. Or you were at a different place in your elimination cycle.

Weight fluctuates for lots of reasons. Look at trend over time.

Definitely this. Weight loss isn't linear. I know a lot of people don't advocate daily weigh ins, but I do and I use an app called Happy Scale. It shows your trend over time and draws a line of best fit through your data points so it really shows that downward trending over time. Don't let this get you down, be consistent, do what you need to do, and you will see the rewards in time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You need to look at the trend over time, if the overall trend is downwards then all is well :smile: