Evening Sugar Cravings

Options
I have been doing this for almost a month now and do really good until evening when my sugar cravings start. It knocks me over my calorie limit every single night. I haven't lost one single pound. Any suggestions ????

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I save calories to eat at night. I skip breakfast and don't eat lunch until around 2 or 3pm. Even with doing that I have to just decide not to eat anything once I have eaten my calories for the day. White knuckle it. Don't always succeed.

Some people have suggested changing macros around and eating more during the day so you aren't hungry. That's certainly valid if you are eating because you are legitimately hungry. That's not me though.

Sometimes I just go to bed. It's easier.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I find drinking tea with some Stevia helps. I enjoy Chai.

Also, if your 'dying' to have something sweet - this works
    for me. I measure out 1 tbsp. of dark cocoa powder (10 calories)
    and some Stevia. Mix with some water and put a few toasted
    nuts in the mix or a bit of PB 2. It tastes like something super
    'sinful' but isn't!

Or maybe just some plain yogurt with banana or your favorite
    fruit on top.
    Jello is good too.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost a month now and do really good until evening when my sugar cravings start. It knocks me over my calorie limit every single night. I haven't lost one single pound. Any suggestions ????

Don't fight it.
    Save some of your cals for the evening.
    As for the sugar craving, blend some sweet tasting whey protein with a banana.
    Or add some good tasting bcaa to a bottle of water and keep it close to you throughout the evening.

Fruits are a good way to tame the sugar beast as well.
    But I prefer the protein shake with a banana.

Greek yogurt with a scoop of whey or some fruits.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm really into sugar free jello (10cals/serving) and sugar free popsicles/fudgsicles (15 and 40cals, respectively). I also just bought some Lucerne (safeway brand) ice cream-on-a-stick things that are 80cals each and I'm super stoked to try them. They look like Weight Watchers ones but like 2$ cheaper per box.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm at my hungriest between 3pm and 7pm. Thus I consume most of my calories during this time. I go light during the time I don't struggle, and have all kinds of things planned for later in the day. If you plan properly you can have a sweet treat every night if you want. Some of my favorites are Dreyers Mini Ice Cream Cups (about 160 calories, depending on flavor), sugar free fugdsicles (40), or if I have a lot saved up, a Haagen Dasz mini cup (250 cals).

Bulking up on lean protein and veggies helps make room for this. A boneless/skinless chicken breast with two cups of steamed broccoli is super filling and leaves room for a treat.
  • cybermom1959
    cybermom1959 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your tips. I will be trying many. My husband is gone with the military for the next two months so this will be the only time I have to focus on me.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your tips. I will be trying many. My husband is gone with the military for the next two months so this will be the only time I have to focus on me.

Ooh mine too! I'll send you a friend request. My husband left in March overseas and won't be back until very late this year or early next, but I'm sure you know how that goes. I actually (re-)started my journey when he left home, and want to be near my UGW when he comes home.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I save calories to eat at night. I skip breakfast and don't eat lunch until around 2 or 3pm. Even with doing that I have to just decide not to eat anything once I have eaten my calories for the day. White knuckle it. Don't always succeed.

Some people have suggested changing macros around and eating more during the day so you aren't hungry. That's certainly valid if you are eating because you are legitimately hungry. That's not me though.

Sometimes I just go to bed. It's easier.

We are kindred spirits. I don't eat at night because I'm hungry, I eat out of habit. breaking bad habits is very challenging but I think the key is a replacement habit you can do every day instead. I have yet to find a good replacement habit.
  • sciscene
    sciscene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't love fruit, but I love sweets... but I find that if I "force" myself to eat some fruits during the day for lunch or for a snack in the afternoon, my sweets cravings go way down.
  • woodlandsgopher
    woodlandsgopher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ughh, the nightly struggle is real for me too. I usually indulge on a huge scoop of peanut butter. I've recently discovered that I get those cravings for a couple of reasons; 1) I'm bored and 2) I'm tired. I'm learning that when I start getting those cravings I just need to drink a glass of water and go read a book in bed. I'll be dead asleep before I finish 2 pages.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 piece of dark chocolate in the middle of everynight. I wake up craving it. I get the kind with flavours running through it like lime or orange ( Lindt lntense). One piece is so sweet and satisfies more than milk chocolate. I am lucky in that l don't like other sweets in general. Chocolate is my weakness. 1 piece is 50 calories and l always log it. Sometimes l have 1 or 2 more during the day but that is my intake of anything sweet. I make calorie room for it.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Save calories for the night.
    Or find sweets that are lower in calories.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners but that Alpine Light hot apple cider really helped me till I got over the evening sweet call. Believe 1 pack was like 15 calories, I had it at night for a few weeks.it is intensely sweet.Found it in the tea isle.Remember the cravings will diminish, it did for me.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ughh, the nightly struggle is real for me too. I usually indulge on a huge scoop of peanut butter. I've recently discovered that I get those cravings for a couple of reasons; 1) I'm bored and 2) I'm tired. I'm learning that when I start getting those cravings I just need to drink a glass of water and go read a book in bed. I'll be dead asleep before I finish 2 pages.

Me too! Peanut butter is my go-to bedtime snack, and I never last more than a minute or two reading before I wake myself by dropping my kindle on my face :)
  • MermaidAmanda10
    MermaidAmanda10 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ugh i go thru the same thing here. I think i like snacking at night because thats when my kids are in bed and i can actually relax and eat lol but it ends up putting me over. I need to strengthen my willpower lol
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    To the peanut butter lovers....I like PB2 as my replacement. I can't even keep regular PB in the house!