Trouble working chest hard on bench press

Options
mdp427
mdp427 Posts: 7 Member
I seem to be having some trouble working/engaging my chest on flat bench press. I feel it so much more in my delts and triceps plus a little in my back. I've tried adjusting my grip and thinking about "bending" the bar with my chest, but those don't seem to do anything. Any pointers?

Replies

• hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I only ever dumbbell bench. Try that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well if you're feeling it in your delts and tri's that's a good thing- especially with the bend the bar technique- which by the way is typically a powerlifting cue... and powerlifting bench isn't really a chest exercise.
    So- what's your goal here?
    if you want more direct chest work- do cable/db fly and push ups and isolated presses- decline and incline press.

If you want a bigger bench- don't worry about feeling the burn in your chest b/c that's just silliness. You push your bench with your back not your chest.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Not sure how advanced you are and where your strength is, but putting your feet up on the bench does a lot to engage and isolate both the core and chest/arm during bench. Definitely don't recommend it with super heavy weight if you aren't used to it, though...
  • mdp427
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far! I'm just a three month newbie to all this. My ultimate goal is to build muscle and look better. I also do DB flyes, but I just wondered if I could be adding more direct chest work. I work out at home and I'm limited to barbells and dumbbells. I've read that dips are great for the chest, but I can't even do one with my own bodyweight.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    mdp427 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far! I'm just a three month newbie to all this. My ultimate goal is to build muscle and look better. I also do DB flyes, but I just wondered if I could be adding more direct chest work. I work out at home and I'm limited to barbells and dumbbells. I've read that dips are great for the chest, but I can't even do one with my own bodyweight.

Yes, dips are excellent, I love them. But yes, it will take time to perform the exercise. Same with pull ups. Eventually they will become easier and you will be adding weight to the movement to make it harder. Just keep going dude!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells will get you more direct chest activation.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »
    Not sure how advanced you are and where your strength is, but putting your feet up on the bench does a lot to engage and isolate both the core and chest/arm during bench. Definitely don't recommend it with super heavy weight if you aren't used to it, though...

Putting your feet on the bench prevents you from using leg drive and removes quite a bit of stability. It doesn't isolate any given muscle however.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why do you bench press?

That's the first question I would ask.

If you bench because you want to build your chest you could add in additional chest isolation exercises like fly variants since they involve minimal tricep and front delt.

You can certainly try to modify the bench press but based on the biomechanics of the lift it will always use front delt and tricep in addition to your chest.

Dumbbell variations will give you slightly more horizontal adduction and so will flaring the elbows more on the bench press but that can get hard on the shoulderes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    Along with some of the suggestions, see if you have control of your pec muscles. Can you flex them on command? Being able to will help with focusing on contraction while bench pressing.
    Myself, I don't bench press. I do more incline pressing over flat benching and lots of dumbell work. Of course at this point in my life, I'm working more on maintenance than trying to put on more mass, but all you need to do that is high volume training and a calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I've read that dips are great for the chest, but I can't even do one with my own bodyweight.

If you have the chair to do the forward tilted dips (not the ones that are tricep focused) you can use your feet to help support you.

I do ring dips- and after about 5 of them I have to put my feet down and give myself a little support. definitely something to develop and work on- and you can find modifications.
  • mdp427
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'm mainly bench pressing for both chest and triceps growth, but I'm also trying to do as many of the big complex movements as I can to build a nice strength base.

I've tried dumbbell press but I severely lack the stabilizers to press more than 40lbs in each hand. I tweaked my already touchy shoulder (old hockey injury) doing it. All other movements feel fine on it though, including flyes.

It's tough to get a balance of the complex movements while also trying to "bring up" certain body parts a little bit. I'll just keep at it!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well if you're feeling it in your delts and tri's that's a good thing- especially with the bend the bar technique- which by the way is typically a powerlifting cue... and powerlifting bench isn't really a chest exercise.
    if you want more direct chest work- do cable/db fly and push ups and isolated presses- decline and incline press.

If you want a bigger bench- don't worry about feeling the burn in your chest b/c that's just silliness. You push your bench with your back not your chest.

Then why do bench press for chest if you push with your back, and you should not feel any "burn" in your chest?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Then why do bench press for chest if you push with your back, and you should not feel any "burn" in your chest?

because power-lifting.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Dumbbell press will engage your stabilizer muscles more so, and you can go lower on your negative. I believe it's a good idea to do barbell and dumbell press. Along with fly's. When you bench, make sure you squeeze at the top. Also, throw in some pushups. Start with wide grip, normal grip, and close grip. As you become stronger, throw in some other variations. Such as box or archer pushups.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I seem to be having some trouble working/engaging my chest on flat bench press. I feel it so much more in my delts and triceps

The decline bench hits more of the chest than the flat bench, since most of the pectoral fibers run downward. This is why some people instinctively arch their back more when struggling on the bench.
    A pec deck machine is good for chest mass too. :+1:

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what makes you think you are having trouble ? are you not getting stronger, not getting bigger?
    you mention you want to build size, are you on a workout and diet program? that would be a good start. Also it takes time, three months is not very long, you are still in the learning phase. Nail the proper form and technique for your goals. If you wanna feel burn in your chest, which isn't always an indication of a good workout, squeeze your chest muscles and burn them up. Max out your lift and then do some drop sets until you can't move. You'll feel it. I can't say that's the best way to train, but you'll probably hurt the next day, if that's what your looking for.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I seem to be having some trouble working/engaging my chest on flat bench press. I feel it so much more in my delts and triceps

The decline bench hits more of the chest than the flat bench, since most of the pectoral fibers run downward. This is why some people instinctively arch their back more when struggling on the bench.
    A pec deck machine is good for chest mass too. :+1:

I believe hitting all three is important. Incline, flat, and decline.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Arch your back a little,"tuck" your clavicles in your back pocket to lock in. Lift.

Add accessory work for growth.
  • mdp427
    Options
    I guess I'm thinking that I'm having trouble because I'm seeing really nice growth and definition results everywhere except chest. So it naturally makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on a full body program and eating just below (-200 cals) maintenance. I realize I have to eat at a surplus to grow, but I seem to be getting some results despite that until my newbie gains wear off. I had a very poor muscle base to start, yet I was overweight by 25lbs or so.

I guess what I'm looking for is that feeling where I can't do another rep because my chest is exhausted and NOT because another muscle group is exhausted. I feel like that's where I am with it right now. I hope that makes sense.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm thinking that I'm having trouble because I'm seeing really nice growth and definition results everywhere except chest. So it naturally makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on a full body program and eating just below (-200 cals) maintenance. I realize I have to eat at a surplus to grow, but I seem to be getting some results despite that until my newbie gains wear off. I had a very poor muscle base to start, yet I was overweight by 25lbs or so.

I guess what I'm looking for is that feeling where I can't do another rep because my chest is exhausted and NOT because another muscle group is exhausted. I feel like that's where I am with it right now. I hope that makes sense.

Here's the thing. Your triceps and delts are smaller muscles. It's the nature of the beast on bench that they are going to exhaust before your pecs. Every single time that I've had to end a bench session early due to muscle exhaustion (and it only happens a couple times a year), has been because the secondary movers are exhausted and my dorm is going to break down.