Losing weight with PCOS

Options
Hi everyone, I'm looking for fellow mfp friends who are trying to lose weight and be healthier ( with less symptoms) while dealing with pcos. I've had pcos since I was 16 and had wacky periods but my weight was never really an issue. In my early to mid twenties my period was normal but the weight started to come on more and more. I get become depressed after my father passed away from cancer and my mother was being treated for breast cancer at the same time. After a few years I was able to get out of the depression but I wasn't happy with the body I had. For the last 6 years, I feel like my weight has really changed the person I am. I've tried every crash diet out there and and exercise plan (weight loss challenges, personal trainers, expense gym memberships) and did well but the weight keeps coming back.

Fast forward to now, I recently got married to my husband in October. We have been dating for 14 years and finally ready to start a family. I've had some female related medical issues that required 2 surgeries last year. Since those surgeries, my period became wacky again and my symptoms of pcos is back to wear it was when I was 16. My dr wants me to change my eating plan and workout more to help balance my insulin levels and hopefully that will allow my period to become normal again.

I'm so motivated to lose some of this weight to feel better and hopefully start a family soon. I'm hoping to be able to make friends that are in the same boat.

Replies

• XxDeadlyDesirexX
    XxDeadlyDesirexX Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey hun My name is Nancy..i could relate to your story i was told i had PCOS at the age of 13 i never knew what it really meant at that age...while the months and years went by i was gaining sooo much weight rapidly. Nothing was helping me to lose weight i was dieting and exercising as well..i have been married for 6 years and im not able to concieve a child...recently i went to do a check up and my doctor prescribed 500mg metformin and folic acid...i could honestly say that it has helped me soo much in 4 weeks i have lost a total of 16lbs with light exercise and a proper diet but the weight is going down finally...dont ever give up hun you'll get through this...i know all the symptoms that comes with pcos and it could really bring you down but everything will be ok.....
  • scherrera01
    scherrera01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy, thanks for the kind words. I tried metformin last year but it really hurt my stomach. I heard that there's a new slow release formula. Are you having any issues with the medicine? Great job on your weight lost so far!
  • frejmag
    frejmag Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do not have a PCOS but I have POF (Premature Ovarian Failure)
    Since my diagnosis at the age of 32 (I'm 35 now) and being put on HRT (hormone replacement therapy, for going thru perimenopause) I have a very hard time to lose weight. Even with proper diet and exercise. Dang it hard!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was finally diagnosed with PCOS at age 27. I had already been diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost a year earlier and prescribed Levothyroxine After being put on Metformin (started at 500mg now at 2,000mg), I have been able to lose 20+ lbs without changing my routine (was already putting in all of my effort in terms of diet and exercise).

I do laser hair removal for the pesky hair growth, which works wonders! But my hair is still falling out excessively, my sex drive is meh, and the tiredness creeps up on me. Plus my periods are still out of whack.
  • Sheli_L
    Sheli_L Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I was just diagnosed with PCOS 2 months ago, I am 39 with 2 teenage daughters and I have MS. My periods were always wonky and were only regular after I had a tubal ligation in 2002. Til February when I had it for 3 weeks. I have always been overweight so having MS just slowed me down and added weight in the last 3 or 4 yrs. I became less and less active til I was diagnosed with PCOS. I decided to start watching what I eat and exercising. I foubf out the National MS Society has a free YMCA fitness class, so I started going to that. Add the metformin and I have lost 15lbs in a month. :-)
  • scherrera01
    scherrera01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lets kick our health problems butt together lol. It sucks having these issues but it's nice to see i'm not alone. It's hard for my friends and family members to understand. Even my husband didn't fully understand until my dr explained everything to him.
  • erinrebeccagreenfield243
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I was diagnosed ten years ago. Weight loss has been slow, but I've kept off 25lbs from my highest weight over the last two years. I've recently started strength training and have noticed a difference in my body.

I'm on spiro and hormonal birth control for hair/period regulation. I don't have insulin resistance, but was on metformin for 10 years. I recently went off it because it was wreaking havoc on my stomach-this was two weeks ago but I already haven't had any issues with cramping or diarrhea since.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi I can totally relate to this. I was told at 16 I'd never have kids because I never had periods, my weight was always up and down to the point I was almost 22 stone. Didn't matter what I did 4 couldn't shift the weight. Scans on my ovaries showed they were badly affected but they didn't want to do anything about it at the time. So they gave me metformin to try and help and stop my facial hair (didn't work).

Battled it for YEARS but I'm not 28 I've lost 5 stone and welcomed a little boy who i conceived naturally (still grow facial hair but meh). I did it by cutting dairy, wheat and egg out my diet. I don't get stomach cramps barely ever now and my periods are still sketchy but I get them monthly and i breastfeed successfully as well some people with pcos struggle).

Just don't give up on a bad day. Best advice i have
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i've learned more about pcos on mfp in the last week than in the 8 years since i was diagnosed, and my doctor said i may have trouble getting pregnant if i wanted to, removed some polyps, and sent me on my way. thanks!
  • welcomechange
    welcomechange Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's really nice to see that we're not alone! I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (about 4 months ago) and I am 24 years old. I don't know too much about PCOS or how to lose weight with it. I'm still in university and won't be starting a family for at least 2-3 more years, so I haven't dealt with the issues of infertility yet. But I'm definitely aware of the other symptoms... especially the struggle of losing weight!
  • imthecaptainofmyownsoul
    Options
    I was diagnosed with having PCOS at age 16 as well. My entire life I was a chubby kid, but within the last four years I've really had the weight just pile on. No matter how well I eat or how much I exercise, the weight just doesn't seem to come off. The amount of work I put in could result in 1 pound lost while a friend of mine (similar height and body) will lose 15. With so much struggling, and the weight just continuing to pile on, I have reached a breaking point. I'm actually going to make an appointment to see an endocrinologist. As you probably know, PCOS is just as much an endocrine disorder as it is a reproductive disorder. Hopefully between working out, eating right, and talking to an endocrinologist, I can find some peace and my body won't continue to work against me. I would love to add you as a friend on here and provide you with support on your journey. I have no friends who have the same issue as myself, but I did find a group on Facebook that is dedicated to beauties who have PCOS. It's called Cysters for Cysters PCOS support group.
  • blacqtink
    blacqtink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was around 30, then 2 yrs later diagnosed with RA. DOUBLE WHAMMY! :#I have had symptoms of PCOS since I was a teen. I don't take the meds to help because they make me feel worse. Because of the PCOS I have stubborn belly fat that will not go away and because of the RA I have to limit and modify my activities. I am determined to lose this weight. I need some motivation from ladies like you. Please add me to your friend list. I have no clue how to do so....