frejmag
frejmag Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2016 in Chit-Chat
Has anyone done it before?

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, which one are you considering? I did the Spartan Sprint, which is only a little over 3 miles and 20 obstacles. It's tough but manageable.
  • frejmag
    Options
    It's Spartan Super. 8-10 miles 30 obstacles
    What can I expect?
  • frejmag
    Options
    Kind of. Wondering how truly hard it would be and how could I train for it. Besides running. I do CrossFit daily but I wonder if that's enough
  • frejmag
    Options
    Oh ok, not too bad. Thank you :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Which Spartan Super? There is a huge difference between the Boston Super and the PA or VA Super.

There are a lot of Spartans that use Crossfit to train. But there is a difference between someone who Crossfits for fun, socialization and to stay healthy - and someone who uses it to train. Just as it is with any type of workout. It is not just an "8 mile jog with some obstacles" - if you are relatively fit you will get through it with assistance. I've seen people of all ages, shapes and sizes complete some of the most grueling courses.

So my real question is - how do you want to do in said Spartan race? If you just want to go out with some friends and have a blast, I'd recommend just adding in some cardio and hill climbs and obstacle specific practice. If you want to actually go hard and challenge yourself...there is a lot of things you can do. My recommendation would depend on venue though....
  • oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've done a Super, and a few sprints. Cross fit establishes a pretty good base. I find I need to supplement with more running, Burpees and grip exercises.