Low impact exercise

Options
Hello MFP community!

I'm searching for ideas for low impact (sometimes no impact) exercises. I have arthritis and other autoimmune issues which causes pain and inflammation in my joints and tendons. My hands are affected the most (no push-ups for this gal), but many other joints and tendons are affected from time to time. Some days, even gentle walking is too much. Is it possible to get a good calorie burn on days such as that? What are your favorite low impact exercises? TIA

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    stationary bike or eliptical
  • laura935
    laura935 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yoga or pilates
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike (especially a road bike) is very low impact, and it's fun!
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Biking and swimming are definitely good options. If you can walk-do so slowly but at a high incline. This way you are burning more calories and taxing yourself without adding speed.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Swimming, rowing, kayaking with current, aerobics, walking, walking aerobics, stretches, light weights, and dancing.

FitnessBlender has a low impact no jumping video that I did once because my knees were hurting. There are many exercise videos out there. During a video, if any exercise troubles a certain part of your body and then just keep moving until the next exercise. Wish you the best!
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    caammph wrote: »
    Have you tried swimming?

I have, and I love it. Unfortunately I don't always have access to a pool.
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and tips. I appreciate it.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OhSnap779 wrote: »
    caammph wrote: »
    Have you tried swimming?

I have, and I love it. Unfortunately I don't always have access to a pool.

Yes that can definitely be a challenge, our lane swims book up really fast here.