Best Value Fitness Tracker

Options
I am brand new to the MFP community and I am trying to learn to reward or incentivize myself with things besides food. So, I plan on purchasing a relatively inexpensive fitness tracker when I meet my first small goal. I am heavily leaning toward the Misfit Shine. Can anyone give positive or negative reviews on the Misfit or recommend something else in a comparable price range (~$40-75)? Pros and cons would be nice :)

Thank you!

Replies

• Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used the Misfit Flash (the cheaper model, similar to the Shine) and I really loved it! It was really accurate for the price, I felt at least, and the sleep tracking was far more accurate than the tracker I have now actually. I definitely recommend it, especially for a beginner who may not know what they're looking for exactly yet...I think you'll be happy with it.
  • davidjzumbafitness
    davidjzumbafitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Vivofit2. It works with a variety of apps and runs on watch batteries so you don't have to charge it.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar300 (just over a month). I also have a compatible HRM that came with it but both can be purchased separately. Together the cost was around $125. I love the thing. The sleep activity was eye opening. My only sticking point is the inactivity alert. I hate seeing those things on my chart. I have an hour+ drive, one way, several times a week. At night I can swing my arm around and keep it from shaming me but in daylight I would either look crazy or in the throws of pleasuring myself so....I take the hit. Yes, I could take it off but I hate seeing that on my chart as well. I have issues. Wish there were a "drive time" setting.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No, no, no to Misfit Shine! I bought the Misfit Shine 2 (2016 edition) after hearing about how all of the problems were resolved with it falling out of the band. Not! I had mine for less than a month. Loved it. Then it fell out on a hike. Copper colored disk on 1.5 miles of brown leaves? No way to find it. Went straight to computer and ordered Fitbit Charge HR for next day delivery.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I love my Misfit Shine. I used to have a Fitbit but I had to replace it 3 times in 7 months and it was always on the charger. My Misfit batteries last about 4 months and I never take it off. I have 6 bands and 2 pendents. I have had absolutely no problem with the bands or pendants.
  • BeardedBadas
    BeardedBadas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Miband
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would go with a fitbit zip. It's very compact, accurate, discrete, battery lasts very long, syncs like a charm and the app/website have a good user interface and user base. You can find cheap on ebay. I got mine on ebay 3 years ago for $30 and it's still plugging away to this day without issues.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I had a misfit Shine. It's a piece of *kitten* and there's no customer support. Now I have a Fitbit Charge and live it.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Jawbone UP24 this weekend. It was on sale from $160 to $50. I love it so far. Very comfortable.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    these days you can get a fitbit one for $75. i really like mine, and i have been using it for going on two years. fitbit - the company - is quick to respond to questions or problems. plus it interfaces well with MFP, always a plus. tracks stairs or altitude equivalent, and it's easy enough to log driving time. i wear mine with a cheap pedometer leash just in case. a couple times it kept me from losing it.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can get the Fitbit One on Amazon for $75
  • jcrossle713
    jcrossle713 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    these days you can get a fitbit one for $75. i really like mine, and i have been using it for going on two years. fitbit - the company - is quick to respond to questions or problems. plus it interfaces well with MFP, always a plus. tracks stairs or altitude equivalent, and it's easy enough to log driving time. i wear mine with a cheap pedometer leash just in case. a couple times it kept me from losing it.

Are any of the fitbits waterproof? That was the allure of the Misfit for me.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "Are any of the fitbits waterproof? That was the allure of the Misfit for me."

That's why I got a Misfit, because it was waterproof. But then it popped out of the band at nothing (just walking), and it was $99 lost forever. I'm trying really, really hard to remember to take off my Fitbit Charge HR before washing dishes!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a Garmin Vivoactive or Vivofit. Most Garmins are waterproof and won't fall off your wrist. Good luck!
  • jcrossle713
    jcrossle713 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all :smiley: I really appreciate the assistance!
  • mystgrl28
    mystgrl28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin vivosmart hr. Depends on what you want really. There are a lot of cheap, good value trackers out there if you don't care about tracking heart rate. My garmin has 24hr HR monitoring, steps, active minutes, exercise tracking, custom workouts, notifications, stairs, calories burned, etc. Only thing is if you're a runner, it doesn't have gps tracking. But for me it's perfect. All I needed was semi-accurate calorie expenditure tracking based on heart rate and something to kick me up the bum if im not active enough, coz it let's you know if you've been inactive for an hour or so. Hehe.