Cycling - Another goal beaten :o)

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
Since starting cycling, I have given myself several mini-goals to beat.

The first one was riding the 12.8 mile commute to work; this took 1 hour and 7 minutes the first time I did it! :huh:

The second one was beating 40 minutes, which I have done :smile:

The next goal I set myself was to have an average speed for the commute of above 20mph - well today I achieve that & I'm chuffed to bits!!!

Finished Cycle: 28 Jun 2011 07:55:22
Ride Time: 37:56
Stopped Time: 1:18
Distance: 12.88 miles
Average: 20.37 miles/h
Fastest Speed: 27.20 miles/h
Ahead of Best Ride: 1:05
Calories: 845

Mile 01 - Average 18.72 miles/h
Mile 02 - Average 22.04 miles/h
Mile 03 - Average 18.54 miles/h
Mile 04 - Average 22.91 miles/h
Mile 05 - Average 20.70 miles/h
Mile 06 - Average 19.92 miles/h
Mile 07 - Average 20.78 miles/h
Mile 08 - Average 19.83 miles/h
Mile 09 - Average 23.56 miles/h
Mile 10 - Average 20.15 miles/h
Mile 11 - Average 20.24 miles/h
Mile 12 - Average 19.51 miles/h

Replies

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    thats really good going! i'm impressed, well done and keep up the great work
  • InspoAdam
    InspoAdam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nice one, very impressive. An average faster than 20mph is some going. I don't commute on my bike for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's 22 miles. Secondly, my work doesn't have showers and thirdly, I have to carry my laptop and a few other bits and pieces. As a result, I get out in the evenings and at the weekends. My best average is 17.1mph and I am not hanging around so I can appreciate your achievement.

Well done

Adam
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm a cycle commuter although probably averaging nearer 10mph than 20! Well done.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well done! I've beaten my personal goal yesterday. 19.2 miles back from work in 1h 15min! It might not be quick to you, but speed of 15mph is quick to me... And I've got a mountain bike, with massive tyres, so it's not very easy to cycle. But gonna try to work my speed to 17mph in the next month. I'm so impressed with your achievement!
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    That's great! Congrats!

How are you tracking your data? Is it an app?
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    That's great! Congrats!

How are you tracking your data? Is it an app?

Yup. Cyclemeter on the iPhone :wink:

T'is very good!
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks. I have been using logyourrun but yours seems to have more stats :)
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

The first one was riding the 12.8 mile commute to work; this took 1 hour and 7 minutes the first time I did it! huh

The second one was beating 40 minutes, which I have done smile

The next goal I set myself was to have an average speed for the commute of above 20mph - well today I achieve that & I'm chuffed to bits!!!

Grats! I just started bike commuting a few mo's ago myself and only avg ~16mph atm, started on my mtb but now I use a cyclocross bike. I only have a 4mi commute (8mi/round) though. However, I've been getting out on Sat mornings for a 30-50mi ride.

Well done! I've beaten my personal goal yesterday. 19.2 miles back from work in 1h 15min! It might not be quick to you, but speed of 15mph is quick to me... And I've got a mountain bike, with massive tyres, so it's not very easy to cycle. But gonna try to work my speed to 17mph in the next month. I'm so impressed with your achievement!

--- halina20

I rode my mtn bike for a bit on the roads using mtb tires. Switching to Continental Travel Contact tires (run ~$35 to 45 each) was the best thing I did but just switching upped my avg speed by 3mph.
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options

The first one was riding the 12.8 mile commute to work; this took 1 hour and 7 minutes the first time I did it! :huh:

The second one was beating 40 minutes, which I have done :smile:

Finished Cycle: 28 Jun 2011 07:55:22
    Ride Time: 37:56
    Stopped Time: 1:18
    Distance: 12.88 miles
    Average: 20.37 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 27.20 miles/h
    Ahead of Best Ride: 1:05
    Calories: 845

Mile 01 - Average 18.72 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 22.04 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 18.54 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 22.91 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 20.70 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 19.92 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 20.78 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 19.83 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 23.56 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 20.15 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 20.24 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 19.51 miles/h

Nice one. Way to go.......keep on keepin' on.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how is the terrain on your commute? Do you have a lot of elevation change? That is really a good time. I wish I was that fast on my road bike! I can do 10 miles in about 50 minutes, but there are lots of hills and the road is pretty bumpy in spots.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how is the terrain on your commute? Do you have a lot of elevation change?

My total ascent over the whole route is 102ft, so not too bad. Some of the road surfaces are pretty shocking, but some are as smooth as silk.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    That's good going! I cycle12 miles to work when I manage to get out of bed the half hour earlier! when I firs started it took about one hour, best time I have down is 44 minutes at average of about 16.2mph, I'd love to break the 40 min mark, any tips? Also I use Runkeeper for iPhone to log my runs and my bikerides, I wouldn't mind using s dedicate cycle app though, but ip like it that one app logs everything, 2.99 in app store though, I might try it!

It takes 25 mins to drive to work, so if I could only get the 35-40 min time frame it'd be a much better argument for how it's not that much longer to ride!
  • rgutie1
    rgutie1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's a great pace to maintain for that distance.

I am nowhere near that pace but I would suggest adding some distance goals. My longest ride so far was 35 miles and I hoping to train for this summer to finish a century this fall.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    That's good going! I cycle12 miles to work when I manage to get out of bed the half hour earlier! when I firs started it took about one hour, best time I have down is 44 minutes at average of about 16.2mph, I'd love to break the 40 min mark, any tips? Also I use Runkeeper for iPhone to log my runs and my bikerides, I wouldn't mind using s dedicate cycle app though, but ip like it that one app logs everything, 2.99 in app store though, I might try it!

It takes 25 mins to drive to work, so if I could only get the 35-40 min time frame it'd be a much better argument for how it's not that much longer to ride!

What bike are yiou riding & what tyres does it have? This may seem a stupid question, but 'having the right tool for the job' is essential for a quicker ride.

For instance, my bike is a Boardman Team Carbon bike (all carbon fibre) which weighs 7.9KG in total (before lights & accessories etc.) It has 700 x 23 tyres which are inflated to 110psi - All in all, this helps you to fly!

If you are riding a mountain-type bike, you'll stuggle to get anywhere near as quick as these times. You can improve by putting slick-style tyres on, but unfortunately it won't make a massive amount of difference!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    That's a great pace to maintain for that distance.

I am nowhere near that pace but I would suggest adding some distance goals. My longest ride so far was 35 miles and I hoping to train for this summer to finish a century this fall.

My longest ride so far is 53.6 miles. I also do a 27 mile loop and a 33 mile loop quite regularly...

I'm doing a 'Sea to Sea' ride in August for charity; this is a ride of about 130 miles over two days - looking forward to it!
  • pyrowill
    Options
    I ride a specialized Allez road bike, 700x24c I think about 110 too. I can hit abiur 25mph, but not hold it for too long
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Today's ride, a bit sower today... :cry:

Finished Cycle: 29 Jun 2011 07:59:33
    Ride Time: 38:39
    Stopped Time: 0:54
    Distance: 12.87 miles
    Average: 19.98 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 27.38 miles/h
    Behind Best Ride: 0:43
    Ascent: 131 feet
    Calories: 923

Mile 01 - Average 18.31 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 22.34 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 18.02 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 22.63 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 19.73 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 20.28 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 19.87 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 20.02 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 23.43 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 17.87 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 21.18 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 19.03 miles/h
  • pyrowill
    Options
    How did you notice your fitness/weigh loss change as you improved?
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    That's great!
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!

I picked up an '83 Schwinn World Tourist this weekend to start riding. I'm waiting on fresh tubes and tires to start riding and I am sure that the WT will not top out well compared to a CF road bike. However, I will get started and maybe, just maybe someday I will feel plucky enough to make the 20+ mile trip to work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!