3 lbs overnight?!?

Options
I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself every day, but I do. I'm curious. I'm 5'2" and trying to get down to 118 lbs. How is it that Sunday I weighed 124.4, Monday 124.4, Tuesday 127.8?!? No changes in diet or exercise, not any special time of the month, what the heck? I'm confused. And irritated.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Bowel movement or sodium?
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Did you eat alot of Sodium the day before? Salt is a big water retainer. If thats the case those pounds should be back off in a day or two, with lots of water intake and exercise.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    watching sodium?

not enough water?
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    How is your sleep?

I find when I don't get enough sleep, I weigh more. But I think it's fair to take a weekly average since you weigh yourself daily.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates all the time for no apparent reason. it happens to me too sometimes. :)
  • mmp0001
    mmp0001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight.
  • meatsack
    meatsack Posts: 5
    Options
    I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself every day, but I do. I'm curious. I'm 5'2" and trying to get down to 118 lbs. How is it that Sunday I weighed 124.4, Monday 124.4, Tuesday 127.8?!? No changes in diet or exercise, not any special time of the month, what the heck? I'm confused. And irritated.

your weight goes up and down all week, this is what happens when you keep weighing yourself, you get angry, deflated etc...stick to one day everyweek
  • hellaamber
    hellaamber Posts: 12
    Options
    WATER WEIGHT! that's why you should only weigh yourself once a week. for most accurate weight, make sure its first thing in the morning before you eat and after you use the bathroom. don't worry!
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mines does that too i dont know whats up my scale never moves but that what happens when i weigh myself everyday ive stuck to doing it every monday so wont get depressed lol
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Is it close to that time of the month?
  • mimi1924
    mimi1924 Posts: 14
    Options
    dont get frustrated, sometimes its water retention. I really don't like weighing myself so much because it does fluctuate, but it does keep me in check. What really matters is how your clothes fit. I was working out like crazy and saw nothing on the scale, however little by little I was wearing clothes that I could not get into just months prior. Keep up what your are doing and it you will see it in the clothes. Besides we all know muscle weighs more than fat. Good Luck!!!!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Bowel movement or sodium?

agree
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Sounds like sodium, water, or bread (though sodium AND water at the same time doesn't make much sense).

I was 179 last week. I ate a lot of break products of the week and weight 187 yesterday. It takes a few days to digest so once I get back on my clean eating it'll all come right back off. See how your clothes are fitting. If your clothes aren't tighter, don't stress.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    your weight goes up and down all week, this is what happens when you keep weighing yourself, you get angry, deflated etc...stick to one day everyweek

Agreed. I only weigh myself once every 2 weeks.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try not to weigh yourself everyday. Do it once a week and go off that number vs. freaking out by your body's normal weight fluctuations throughout the week. This is easier said than done, but give it a try for a while and see how you feel mentally.
    Guten Gluck!
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options
    I am in almost the same boat...I am 5' 2" (almost) and want to get down to 115-118 from about 125-128...I have worked out and watched my diet for 8 weeks most of the time with no scale change..but last week I saw the numbers finally drop from 125 down to 122 on Friday. That only lasted a day and then by Sunday I was back up to 125...REALLY??? What is going on...!!!!!! Now I can't stay off of the scale..I am so frustrated but I know I am doing good for myself no matter how long it takes to reach my goal...I know, slow and steady.....- but I sure do want it all -and I want it now!
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    But isn't it great when you show it down 3#?! :bigsmile:

I weigh more often than is recommended too, so my advise? If you like to weigh often, just be sensible and average things. A variance of more than a pound is probably not real weight up or down. Just recheck the next few days to see your real progress.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    drinking enough water for your body weight? if u r watching your sodium and havent been over, u can still gain like that if u arent getting enough water (and anything with caffeine, like tea, coffee, crystal light, diet pop, etc, all have caffeine all deplete your water in your system)..

i also go up a couple pounds about 1-2 weeks before TOM, and go down the most during TOM.. hormones can play a big part of it.

i weigh everyday as well; you have to be prepared to have a higher number and not get upset, and you have to know reasons why your weight would go up; not ***** and moan about 3lbs, but just go drink extra water that day..

make sure u weigh at the same time; and if you didnt sleep well, or got less sleep then the day before, you might go up.

and a bowel movement can change numbers as well.
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I routinely add and drop 1-3 lbs within any given day. This is due to many possible factors including amount and type of food injested and still waiting to be processed/used/expelled, sodium intake, water intake and retention, and eating/living in general. It's normal and I wouldn't worry. This is why it's recommended to only chart once per week and if you're the type to get discouraged by your normal bodily functions than stay away from the scales everyday until you feel you can handle the constant flux.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    BM's. Water weight. Sodium. The amount of glycogen currently in your body. There are a lot of reasons your weight could fluctuate like that.