Help! Sugar Crash?

Options
I am highly addicted to sugar. Drank 3 pops a day and eat a handful of candy.

I started my weight loss journey (again) just 5 days ago. Since, I have cut out all pop and all candy....to say I feel like s**** is an understatement. My head is killing me and I just feel awful.

What can I do to make this easier? I'm so close to just eating a bag of candy!

HELP!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Were your sodas caffeinated? If so, are you getting another form of caffeine?
  • BeSummerShine
    BeSummerShine Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Yes they were and no I'm not. I have anxiety and coffee is too much.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

Then your headaches are almost certainly caffeine withdrawals. They tend to go away in about a week. You could try drinking decaf coffee. It's got just a little bit of caffeine (about 5% of a regular cup) and might help take the edge off.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Tea is milder on the caffeine delivery than coffee. Other than that, it will pass. Had the worst of mine last week, a little bit this week.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I bet it's the caffeine withdrawal, not the sugar.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ewww. This too shall pass. Peanut butter? Also vote for a cup of decaf, like 5 stringjeff. Whatever you need to do to get through the week without sugar. Sleep more, snuggle more, spend time with friends, etc. "Affection" increases dopamine.

Hey, given your anxiety levels, you might look into myo-inositol. I ran into it, actually, looking at how to handle a similar issue. And it has been used effectively to reduce anxiety. From what I've read about it (and I am actually taking it with only positive side effects that I know of), it's a very cool supp.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is more like caffeine "withdrawal" and the common feeling folks describing when they dump sugary caffeinated sodas. It doesn't sound like a "sugar crash" in the sense that it's typically discussed (low blood sugar etc.). It will ease. Stick it out.
  • BeSummerShine
    Options
    Normally when I eat candy, it helps my headaches even more so than a pop will. I'm not really missing the pop as much but my craving for candy is getting worse.

I think I'll try decaf and tea
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    I agree it is the caffeine withdrawal. Try drinking tea. It doesn't have as much caffeine as coffee. And maybe add in a piece or two of dark chocolate. There is no reason to completely cut sweets from your diet as long as you make them fit. Plus chocolate has some caffeine too.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    I agree it is the caffeine withdrawal. Try drinking tea. It doesn't have as much caffeine as coffee. And maybe add in a piece or two of dark chocolate. There is no reason to completely cut sweets from your diet as long as you make them fit. Plus chocolate has some caffeine too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yep it's caffeine withdrawal. I second tea, plus it's relaxing and full of antioxidants, lol.
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try teas that contain yerba mate. They have similar caffeine levels to coffee but without the jittery effects or crashes. I've been replacing my coffee with it and I've noticed a big difference.
  • BeSummerShine
    Options
    For those that are saying tea.. I don't like the taste much but I can tolerate green tea. Would that help with my headaches?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    For those that are saying tea.. I don't like the taste much but I can tolerate green tea. Would that help with my headaches?

If your headache is related to caffeine withdrawal and it isn't decaf green tea, it should help.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    ...I bet it's the caffeine withdrawal, not the sugar.

I'm going through the same thing; but my caffeine consumption is exactly the same (coffee and tea, no soda).
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink teas from David's Teas. Not sure if there is one near you but you can order online. They have one called Chocolate Rocket that is awesome and gives me a great caffeine boost.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just go through it. You'll come out the other end and cutting sugar is a good thing. If its caffeine withdrawal, just taper off using diet soda or Excedrine. Or replace it with good sources like green tea, since there is a WHOLE lot wrong with soda.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love my sugar too. Double double coffees all day long
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's a painful few days when I cut it. If.you go.to the health food store.you can get all natural fruit snacks etc
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have you tried something like taking a goodies for the headache, this has about 32 in caffiene and will def help the headache. The excedrine has 50..

I still allow a caffeinated zero calorie diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Mt Dew a day. I also have a need for eating candy too. I have bought a lot of sugar free candy through out the months and this helps me out a lot as well as sugar free gum.

I don't think you should cut anything out cold turkey. Perhaps allow a diet drink or even decaf coffee (which decaf still has a small bit of caffeine in it) or half and half coffee and allow your self candy perhaps at the end of your meals, or when you need them, and then wean off them.

If you must go cold turkey just know that the headaches will go away just as the anxiety not having these things anymore (headaches are short lived).. I just hate seeing folks cut things out when it is totally not necessary unless these are "binge triggers" or promotes terrible and unhealthy practices!! LOL