Ground beef cabbage stew! 285 calories per serving!

Options
AlyssaPetsDogs
AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
I finally tried this and I am not disappointed!

It calls for:
-2 pounds 93% lean ground beef (you can use less, but I like it beefy!)
-1 medium head of cabbage
-8-10 stalks of celery
-1 yellow onion
-1 green bell pepper
-2 cans of fat free, low sodium chicken broth (4 cups total)
-1 big can of tomato purée (it was about 14 oz I think)
-2 teaspoons minced garlic
-1 tablespoon olive oil

Optional: spices to give it a little kick. I added some McCormick gourmet southwest seasoning because I'm a wimp. So it has a little kick to it. I think the recipe my mom gave me also called for pepper, but I forgot.

Also, I weighed all my ingredients out as I used them, so if you do the same, the calories may fluctuate a little. I divided mine into 7 portions that are pretty decent sized.

Directions:
1. Brown the ground beef. I browned it with some of the southwest seasoning.
2. While ground beef is browning (or anytime really), chop the onion, pepper, and celery.
3. After ground beef is done, transfer to a bowl and then add the onion, pepper, and celery to the pan you were using.
4. Saute the veggies in the olive oil, garlic, and a few tablespoons of the chicken broth. I sautéed about ten minutes. You can do it longer if you like them softer, but I like a little crunch. I also added some of the McCormick seasoning here too because I was feeling risky. When it is done, just remove from heat and wait.
5. Roughly chop the cabbage.
6. Place cabbage in a pot and add the rest of the chicken broth. Cover pot tightly with a lid. It is ok that the cabbage isn't all covered by the liquid.
7. Heat on high until the broth boils, then switch to medium. I steamed it for about ten minutes.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Add the ground beef and other cooked vegetable to the cabbage pot.
10. Cover with tomato purée and stir until everything is mixed.
11. Portion it out in containers so you don't eat it all because it is so good!

Super excited about this recipe! If you have any cabbage recipes, by all means, please share!mmwrvoroie4t.jpeg

Replies

• evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That looks good.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That does look good.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    It is really tasty!!! I had leftovers today for lunch, but am wishing I had added a bit more spice now. So good though!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    That looks and sounds really good! I love cabbage. I'll try to make something like this next week, but probably with ground turkey 'cause that's what we get.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Thanks alyssadanielle. You can tell when someone is passing on directions they've followed themselves many times. They are my favorites.
    This is kind of beef and cabbage stew and I don't make enough of those. You've inspired me to do one soon.
  • sandysilva94
    sandysilva94 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I made it and it was delicious. Since its only 285 calories it doesn't reach the 500 calories i gotta have for dinner. Do you have any recommendations on what i can pair the cabbage stew with to reach my calorie goal?
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I made it and it was delicious. Since its only 285 calories it doesn't reach the 500 calories i gotta have for dinner. Do you have any recommendations on what i can pair the cabbage stew with to reach my calorie goal?

I'm so glad you liked it! I tend to eat just the stew and then have more snacks throughout the day! I tend to be pretty simplistic because it is easier to log.

I think it would be delicious with French bread though on the side. I tend to avoid having French bread in the house because I have a tendency to snack on the entire loaf
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options

I'm so glad you liked it! I tend to eat just the stew and then have more snacks throughout the day! I tend to be pretty simplistic because it is easier to log.

I think it would be delicious with French bread though on the side. I tend to avoid having French bread in the house because I have a tendency to snack on the entire loaf

French bread is exactly what I was thinking when I saw this!
    I am making it tonight but I will probably just have some crackers with it. Can't wait!
  • papillons3
    papillons3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Trying this tonight! It looks great. Is a serving about a cup?
  • Meganthedogmom
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I made this tonight, but I altered it like I do pretty much all recipes.

I used fire roasted tomatoes instead of tomato purée.
    I added a lot more garlic, because I'm a garlic fiend.
    I used McCormick's steak seasoning and garlic & herb seasoning instead of the southwest, and added some cumin.
    Added about 5oz of carrot

DELICIOUS!!! The boyfriend loves it, too! And oh man, I can eat so much of it and hardly any calories since it's mostly veggies :D
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Bookmarking to make soon!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    Options
    papillons3 wrote: »
    Trying this tonight! It looks great. Is a serving about a cup?

I think it may be a little more than a cup if you make 7. I always just put them all in the same size bowl that I can reheat, so I don't necessarily measure!
    I made this tonight, but I altered it like I do pretty much all recipes.

I used fire roasted tomatoes instead of tomato purée.
    I added a lot more garlic, because I'm a garlic fiend.
    I used McCormick's steak seasoning and garlic & herb seasoning instead of the southwest, and added some cumin.
    Added about 5oz of carrot

DELICIOUS!!! The boyfriend loves it, too! And oh man, I can eat so much of it and hardly any calories since it's mostly veggies :D

Carrot sounds like a great addition! I will have to add that in next time I make it! I know my mom loves using actually tomatoes in hers, but when she makes it for me, we use purée because I am picky and have this fear of tomatoes in solid form! I'm glad you like it - I love that you can get a big serving out of it! :)
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Looks delish. I'd probably use beef broth instead. Not much difference in calories. It's too hot right now for soup but will have to keep it in mind for the Autumn. Thanks.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread because I made this tonight and loved it. I never really made a soup before!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Looks very nice and I will try it because I like cabbage a lot. My mother used to make something like this and she used sweet potatoes chunks (probably already cooked) and beef stew meat instead of ground beef. I think that both kind of meat would be great.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    Thanks for bumping because it reminded me how delicious this is and that I need to make it again soon! :)
  • karencon
    karencon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cabbage Patch Stew
    Serves 4 ( 1 1/2 cups )

8 ounces ground lean turkey or beef
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 1/4 cups diced carrots
    2 cups diced raw potatoes
    1 (14 1/2 ounce can) Stewed tomatoes, undrained
    1 ( 8 ounce can ) Tomato Sauce
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
    1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    3 cups coarsely shredded cabbage

In a large skillet sprayed with butter flavored cooking spray, brown
    meat and onion. Stir in carrots, potatoes, and undrained stewed
    tomatoes. Add tomato sauce, black pepper, parsley flakes, and
    Worcestershire sauce. Mix well to combine. Bring mixture to a
    boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until
    vegetables are just tender. Stir in cabbage. Re-cover and
    continue simmering for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender,
    stirring occasionally.

213 calories, 5gm fat, 14gm protein, 28gm carb., 407mg sod., 4gm
    fiber

Diabetic: 2 Veg., 1 1/2 Meat, 1 Starch

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage soups and stews.
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Looks really good!

One that a friend's mom made a couple months ago was a head of cabbage, cut up sausage, broccoli, and onion. I don't know the amounts because she cooks like me and just throws things in the pot with water :wink:
  • karencon
    karencon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time..its really good!

Sour Cream Cabbage

Serves 4 (1 cup)

6 cups shredded cabbage
    2 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup Land o Lakes Sour Cream
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper

In a large skillet sprayed with butter cooking spray, combine cabbage and water.Cover and cook on low heat for 8 minutes or until soft. In a small bowl combine sour cream, vinegar, and lemon pepper. Add sour cream mixture to undrained cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until mixture is heated thru.

40 cal,0 fat 2gm protein