Trying to lose 100lbs doing low carb, anyone else have the same goals?

Options
courttn
courttn Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2016 in Getting Started
Hello everyone! I'm back on MFP after a couple of years. I've tried doing diets, low carb, ect. But never stuck with it! This time I'm serious about losing weight and want to lose 100lbs. I'm 25, 5'3", and currently 253lbs. Any other low carb-er's out there who would like to share recipes and motivate each other? Add me: courttn

Replies

• cjb3001
    cjb3001 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, if you're back from doing a low carb diet you didn't stick with what makes you think you'll stick with it this time? Not trying to pick, just curious :) I think everything in moderation is your best bet, if you enjoy carbs then trying to cut them drastically is only going to make you sad!
    I'm 25 with about 50lbs to lose so you can definitely add me if you need a pal. :)
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am doing a sorta low carb. I try to stay under 60 a day and stay away from white processed foods like rice, bread, pasta, etc. I also gave up soda, including diet. I do protein shakes to keep me full til lunch then usually do a meat with veggie during lunch, then something small for dinner. In between I snack on no salted pretzels and mustard, or an apple with a teaspoon of peanut butter. Key when you first start is to eat what people call your free foods to keep you full. Any free food is considered 20 calories or less and 5g of carbs or less per serving. Cucumbers, sour kraut, cabbage, mustard, greens-spinach, kale, mustard etc. Add me if you wish. :) Good luck! Yesterday was my month without soda and major carbs. You can do it!
  • courttn
    Options
    I've done several different diets including low carb with little results. But I was never aware of how much sugar and carbs are in everything. And honestly I wanted to lose weight but wasn't really committed and would constantly let myself cheat. However this time I'm ready for a change. My depression has gotten bad because of how I feel about myself, my joints ache from having so much weight, and I'd like to feel pretty and confident about myself like I once was.
  • courttn
    Options
    And as of right now I'm sticking with 20g of carbs a day, to jump start my body into losing weight. I'll eventually add them in in moderation, but not for a while.
  • msemotan
    msemotan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of atkins, if you follow the way they outline it for you on their website, not what you think atkins is (based on what you have heard). I had tried a lot of things in the past, but Atkins REALLY worked for me. I did the regular atkins, also knows as atkins 20 (20-25 net carbs per day). It really helped me to get off processed foods and those snacks that you just eat likely crazy. It also helped me to stop craving sweets.

I did atkins for about 10 months and lost 80 lbs, literally 3 lbs every single week for quite a while. You still cannot go crazy on calories, they say during the first week not to be a stickler about calories bec you are just trying to adjust. But then after you are more accustomed to the low carb lifestyle, they say to stick to about 1800-2000 cals. Also, I noticed it I went outside of the recommended daily dairy servings I would not lose.

I think Atkins is a great way to kick off a lifestyle change of eating more "whole foods" and also to loose body fat. Obviously like any other healthy lifestyle you have to maintain. I also liked that I could always find something at a restaurant that I could eat if I asked for no bun, or double veg/no rice, etc. I also like that all the guidance info is free on their website. I used myfitnesspal to track my cals, carbs, and fiber. I honestly was not much of a recipe person.

I just ate "whole foods" all the time... like a protein and an vegetable, then added cheese sometimes. I think it is too much work to make concoctions that are one thing but meant to taste like pizza or something. And, I it worked better for me to not pretend to be eating those foods that I was missing, just appreciate what I could eat.

Now I am more in maintain and eat more fruit, nuts, etc., but still am not a regular eater of grains, starches, or sweets.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm in a 100 pound journey as well and have currently lost 65 pounds, losing 2-3 pounds each week. I eat whatever I want, but stay within my calorie goal, have a "cheat" meal every Saturday (I eat at or a little over my TDEE that day) and do cardio (only) 2-3 times a week. I eat whatever fat or carb I feel like eating.

If would suggest you do the same. It's a much more sustainable way to eat. You will eventually have to start eating "normally" again and that's when those who lost weight on a low carb diet gain their weight back.

Your thought process of "being on a diet" is the wrong way to go about it. If you're interested in any other advice from me, let me know. Otherwise, I hope you do take my advice or at least do a little more research about CICO (after all, that's why MFP was created).

• courttn
    Options
    I realize this isn't a "diet" it's a lifestyle change. I referred to my past failures as "diets". Keep the advice coming ladies! I'm excited to hear more of what keeps you motivated and accountable to your weight-loss journey.

Oh! I'm also fairly new the the updated version of MFP. I see people are sending me friend requests with messages attached. I cannot figure out how to read those messages! Help!!
  • billsrule2015
    billsrule2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a male, 35 years old. I did Atkins in 2005, and lost over 80lbs in 8 months without counting 1 calorie! I am now at my heaviest weight by eating everything and not controlling carbs or sugar. I feel like I am going to restart Atkins and treat it as a lifestyle and not a short term fix like my 1st time. I feel when I count calories that I am Always hungry and starving and thinking about my next meal.. When I did Atkins, I was never hungry, and sometimes forgot to eat at my next meal because I was so full and content.. If anyone wants to start the low carb lifestyle with me, please feel free to add me. Thanks!

Mike
  • Stevie1050
    Stevie1050 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm 20 years old, 5'5, and 135 pounds. I've lost ~50 so far not doing anything particularly low carb, but am hoping to get off the last 5-10 by cutting them out. I've started buying individually packed salmon filets and turkey burgers, and try to eat stuff like the Green Giant steamers as a side. As someone mentioned before, eating stuff like cucumbers, carrots, etc. is always a great way to keep yourself from getting hungry inbetween. Also, drink water. Like, a lot. Nothing keeps you full like it, and I personally always notice my complexion looks really nice on days I'm mindful of how much/little I'm drinking. I'm not on MFP much, so I honestly wouldn't be a very good friend, but I love reading about other people's journeys! Try and go into it optimistically and excitedly; not putting myself down really helped me to start seriously losing. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Carbs are calorie dense so I get that but there are good carbs too. I just try to reduce the bread, pasta, potatoes and increase the fruit & veggies. This and deficit works for me.
  • ReadingCat
    ReadingCat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am 5'4" and started at 222. I'm doing low carb too, because it's the only thing that has ever worked for me and like you this time I want to make it a lifestyle change. The weight is starting to come off (I haven't reweighed yet) and I feel better already. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    There are no such thing as free foods,a carb is a carb,a calorie is a calories and so on, and what matters most is a caloric deficit to lose weight. if you are doing low carb you still have to eat in a deficit.if you do low carb you have to up your fat,as well as your sodium. there is low carb(more than 50g but less than 150) and keto which is less than 50g net carbs per day.look up low carb and keto groups to help you get ideas or for some advice who have been doing it for awhile. low carb is not a magic weight loss tool though. its still all about calories in vs calories out.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm in a 100 pound journey as well and have currently lost 65 pounds, losing 2-3 pounds each week. I eat whatever I want, but stay within my calorie goal, have a "cheat" meal every Saturday (I eat at or a little over my TDEE that day) and do cardio (only) 2-3 times a week. I eat whatever fat or carb I feel like eating.

If would suggest you do the same. It's a much more sustainable way to eat. You will eventually have to start eating "normally" again and that's when those who lost weight on a low carb diet gain their weight back.

Your thought process of "being on a diet" is the wrong way to go about it. If you're interested in any other advice from me, let me know. Otherwise, I hope you do take my advice or at least do a little more research about CICO (after all, that's why MFP was created).

That's something I was wondering about. For those of you that talk about doing Atkins or 20 carbs a day, is this something one will for a lifetime or until you reach a certain weight? I don't want to go into a diet mentality again, it was very difficult to get out of that and from time to time my mind slips back when I read something on the forums.

Truthfully I think it would be hard to eat a few carbs a day long term (as in after the weight is lost and you've begun maintenance) but it's not something I know much about so perhaps it's not?

I'm just curious how this works... if when someone says they eat low carb 5-20 carbs some share on threads, this is continued during maintenance etc.?

Thanks for anyone taking time to explain :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »

That's something I was wondering about. For those of you that talk about doing Atkins or 20 carbs a day, is this something one will for a lifetime or until you reach a certain weight? I don't want to go into a diet mentality again, it was very difficult to get out of that and from time to time my mind slips back when I read something on the forums.

Truthfully I think it would be hard to eat a few carbs a day long term (as in after the weight is lost and you've begun maintenance) but it's not something I know much about so perhaps it's not?

I'm just curious how this works... if when someone says they eat low carb 5-20 carbs some share on threads, this is continued during maintenance etc.?

Thanks for anyone taking time to explain :)

actually a lot of people who eat low carb/keto do it for years or maybe even the rest of their lives even after the weight is lost. a lot of those people have health issues that started them on the low carb/keto journey and it has helped them keep their health issues in check.as for eating "normally" again. thats not true. even some body builders eat low carb their whole lives. I think it would be harder in maintenance to keep it low carb/keto unless you are eating craploads of protein to get the calories in. I couldnt eat that much protein.
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi. I am down a total of 70 pounds from my highest weight, and I started keto two weeks ago. I have 99 pounds to go to reach my goal weight. Feel free to add me!

ETA: As far as my future plans, once I reach my goal weight, I plan to increase carbs a bit, perhaps to 70 -80 per day instead of under 30 (total). I'll have to experiment a bit to find a number my body is happy with. However, I will always have to log and watch what I eat. When I eat carbs or lots of sugar, I find my cravings and hunger seem insatiable. That's how I regained 56 pounds -- I started eating lots of carbs and didn't stop. With keeping the carbs lower, I am much more in control of my appetite, plus I feel so much better physically and emotionally. This will be a way of life for me.

And as has been pointed out, keto itself doesn't equal weight loss. What matters is calorie intake versus how much you burn. Keto, however, helps me tremendously in doing that. When I attempted just to lower my calorie intake, my appetite was insane. I would feel hungry all day and really like I sacrificed tremendously and still end up going over my calories for the day. With keto, I actually have to struggle some days to eat enough because the cravings are gone. Plus I find myself eating a lot more whole foods and healthier foods overall so I feel great too.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    courttn wrote: »
    And as of right now I'm sticking with 20g of carbs a day, to jump start my body into losing weight. I'll eventually add them in in moderation, but not for a while.

There is no such thing, scientifically speaking, as a "jump start". Eat less calories than you burn, and you will lose weight. 27lbs down, and I just ate chocolate ice cream...after pasta.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing low carb per say but I believe my macros are set at P40% F40% C20% and I don't eat grains. I don't consider it low carb I just eat this way because I eat to perform, and my HDL is low so gotta up the healthy fats
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    courttn wrote: »

There is no such thing, scientifically speaking, as a "jump start". Eat less calories than you burn, and you will lose weight. 27lbs down, and I just ate chocolate ice cream...after pasta.

She's technically right. Going low carb isn't going to make you lose weight. 20 grams is ridiculously low considering you should be getting more fiber than that daily. Fad diets aren't the answer to success. Being smart about what you put into your body is and considering you should be eating a minimum of 25 grams of fiber daily you're not being smart about what you're doing. You're not setting yourself up for optimum health. I mean, if being thin is more important than your health you may as well just starve yourself, or purge.
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There is a group here in the community of people who are doing low carb. I'm going to try & link it here