Increase my Calories?

Options
I think I already know the answer to this but thought I'd run it by all you intelligent people.

I'm 5'6, currently weigh 125 and looking to lose about 5 more pounds. My MFP goal is 1 lb/week and 1200 calories/day.

I currently run 35 miles/week and eat back all of my exercise calories. Because of this, my net average is way over 1200, usually 1400-1600 calories/day. I've more or less maintained the past month as I went over a couple weeks, but I'd like to increase my calories if I can get away with it.

Is changing my goal to .5/week the way to do this? Or should I stick with 1200 since I'm netting so much more? Thanks!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose, it's recommended to do .5lb per week. I'm within 15 and just switched to .5 from 1lb per week.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I found this article super helpful: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

When I hit a plateau a few years ago (I gained a bit back recently, and am working at it again), I had to up my calories by about 50-100 per day to get the weight loss again.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @ 5' 6" ( assuming middle aged , you didnt specify ) your already well within ideal weight range, and an estimate of your BMR would be in the area of 1400-1500.

If your eating at 1200+exercise cals, your only at a deficit of 1400-2100 a week ( 0.4-0.6 lbs/week ). You may have set the goal to 1lb/week, but your stuck on the low limit.

I would imagine your plateau problem is one of three things:
    1- you don't have anymore to safely lose
    2- you are over estimating your calorie burn
    3- you need to tighten up your tracking/logging
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry, let me clarify - I haven't plateaued. I just maintained the past month because I went over my calories for a couple weeks. I expected it and am not concerned about that. Other than those weeks, I've been sticking to my 1200 (+exercise) calorie goal.

My question was if I should change my goal to .5/week or keep it where it is.

ETA: I think that is where I'm a little hesitant to up my calories. If I already go over at 1200, am I going to go even more over if I increase? Totally within my realm of control, I know.
  • ragsibobs
    ragsibobs Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I weigh 139lbs and am 5.6 tall and run somewhere between 16-30 miles per week. I've chosen to override MFP and have put my daily calorie "allowance" to 1400. I don't eat back all my exercise calories, I only eat what I need to feel full or satisfied. On my non running days I'm always very hungry so it helps being able to eat the 1400 calories. This works really well for me. In a way I save my exercise calories for my non running days. :)

You haven't got much weight to lose, so if I was you I would eat a bit extra and lose the last 5 lbs a bit slower. I find that I run better and faster with the extra fuel in my body. Hope this helps.
  • ragsibobs
    ragsibobs Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    feel free to add me if you want. :)
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes. Set to lose 0.5lb a week. Those few extra calories every day may stop you going over every so often. I'm 5'6 too and am in maintenance and as stupid as it sounds it's not that easy to stop losing weight. I still seem to be loosing a lb every six weeks.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @lc355 - I was thinking the same thing, that raising my calories might help me not go over as much.

Thanks for all the feedback! I changed my goal to .5/week.