Fitbit Aria Smart Scale

Options
Does anyone own these? If so, can I have your verdict please! Thank you!

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have it, not sure it's any better than any other scale to tell you the truth! I do like that it's wireless, I don't have to write my weight down anywhere.... but that's about it. I'm sure it's no more accurate than any other scale :)
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've got an Aria scale...agree with @brb_2013 that the big bonus is not having to log weight it's all automated. I know that body fat isn't really accurate on any scale, but it seems really inaccurate for me so far with the Aria scale. It's not even a consistent number...not even good enough to depict a trend one way or the other.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I bought it a few months ago...and then returned it. It was nice and all, but not worth $110+ in my opinion. And once your realize you spent $110 on something that sits on your floor and gets a few times a week use, you will be like "why did i just waste $110 for a floor decoration?" lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    I bought it a few months ago...and then returned it. It was nice and all, but not worth $110+ in my opinion. And once your realize you spent $110 on something that sits on your floor and gets a few times a week use, you will be like "why did i just waste $110 for a floor decoration?" lol

Yeah, I couldn't justify spending over $100 on a scale ($170 here in Aus), when my $20 Target' scale does pretty much the same thing.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have had mine for years and love it. I like not having to remember the numbers. I can go online later in the day and get all my information without needing to worry about it. It was worth it to me.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have it and like that it is convenient for logging my weight. I also have a $20 scale from Amazon that is just as accurate. I ignore the body fat percentage as its not an accurate way to measure that, not to mention the percentage is always all over the place. If you want to spend the money, there's no real draw back to it, it's really just a convenience factor.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it. I weigh everyday to see fluctuations, so it automatically adding my results saves me a bit of time, and I don't have to remember the weight or rush over and input it. The bf isn't that accurate, but for trends it seems to work.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The other great thing is that Trendweight.com will take your weight and BF% data automatically from your FitBit account and do your 10 d moving average to smooth out the fluctuations. The individual BF% readings are worthless, but with Trendweight you can actually see the trend after you have enough data points.
  • cookey71
    cookey71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great useful feedback! Think I am going to stick with my basic ones for the moment then as they are accurate enough an very precise. The fitbit ones ARE expensive but I was tempted... Might buy a nice new dress instead lol
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have it, just ignore the bofy fat percentage and you'll be fine. I like it because my weight auto syncs to MFP and the Fitbit app. You get badges depending on how much you've lost and it's pretty motivating.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    To those that say why do you need a WiFi scale?
    Show me a graph of your weight for the last week or month. Better yet, what was your weight two years ago on this date. I did pay a premium for my scale but it does provide meaningful data. I did see where my weekend benders were causing me to gain 50% of what I lost this week and adjust. I can compare my running miles to my weight and see how one effects the other. I get that it's money but I see value in the data. Just saying.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the body fat may or may not be accurate but when the % goes up you're fatter, I have tested this.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    To those that say why do you need a WiFi scale?
    Show me a graph of your weight for the last week or month. Better yet, what was your weight two years ago on this date. I did pay a premium for my scale but it does provide meaningful data. I did see where my weekend benders were causing me to gain 50% of what I lost this week and adjust. I can compare my running miles to my weight and see how one effects the other. I get that it's money but I see value in the data. Just saying.

I use Trendweight to get this data
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lots of people weigh daily and track it without a wifi scale. Does it make it easier? Sure. Does a person need one to track that data? Nope.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Oh, and the body fat may or may not be accurate but when the % goes up you're fatter, I have tested this.

Not true, especially not for women. My average bodyfat percentage is 17 to 18% on my Fitbit Aria. Truly I'm more like 21% if I had to guess. However during ovulation I hold three pounds of water weight. I'm not fatter, but my bodyfat percentage on the Aria shoots up to 19%. This also happens after a high sodium day.

I passed ovulation a few days ago and the water weight came off; I'm now getting readouts of 14.8 to 16.3% bodyfat all in the same week. The batteries are fresh so it's not that either. There is no way in hell I'm that low and it's a huge change from my usual readouts. The BF% on scales is quite sporadic at times depending on certain factors.
  • cookey71
    cookey71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot to think about. Thanks. And great discussion about pros and cons x