Work out calories

Options
Garae
Garae Posts: 116 Member
Just a thought-
But if you do an hour of cardio, and burn x amount of calories, should you subtract whatever your body would burn in that hour if you weren't exercising?
My metabolic rate is something like 90 cal an hour, so should i subtract that from my workout?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just a thought-
    But if you do an hour of cardio, and burn x amount of calories, should you subtract whatever your body would burn in that hour if you weren't exercising?
    My metabolic rate is something like 90 cal an hour, so should i subtract that from my workout?

Yes you should. the cals burned on the machines and your HRM is total calories burned during that duration and MFP already accounts for maintenance calories in your caloric intake.
  • Psialpha297
    Psialpha297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i believe MFP accounts for that... not sure though
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question a while back but never got a response.

I don't really think in makes a difference one way or the other. I have been subtracting my estimated hourly burn from my workouts for the last few weeks and I haven't seen any real change.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i believe MFP accounts for that... not sure though

No MFP does not take that into account, neither does a HRM
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    hmm. interesting.
    well, i try not to eat all my workout calories back anyway so i guess it'll work itself out?
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way... If your hourly metobolic rate is 90 and you work our for 1 hour a day, 5 days a week; then you are looking at a total difference of 450 calories (subtracting vs. not).

Since there are 3500 calories in 1 lb, 450 calories is about .128 (~1/8) lbs. Probably not really a large enough difference to really spend the time calculating.