Powdered protein?

Options
Hi! I'm looking into getting a powdered protein but not sure which to get. I'm wanting one to help me stay full longer. Yet I've heard a lot of people say they get an upset stomach or that it taste horrible. Any suggestions on a good one?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the stomach upset or the taste is going to vary by person. quest brand is delicious and has a good taste. I use body fortress strawberry(sometimes chocolate or cookies and cream) its on the cheap side and for me it works, there are many brands out there and some are pretty expensive. I would go to say a GNC if you have any close to where you live, and buy single packets. or you can go online and look for single packets. as for staying full longer, make sure you get enough healthy fats,protein,fiber and water. protein for some works for satiety,for others its fat, or a combo of all of them. protein powders are usually used mainly by those who cant get enough protein through foods. there also also different kinds of protein too,why protein,whey casein,whey isolate, or a combo of the three, then there is pea protein,hemp,egg,soy,beef(yes beef),etc it all depends on what you want to use and what you want to use it for.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    if you get a protein powder that is mostly whey concentrate then you are more likely to get stomach problems
    Whey Isolate has being processed more and is much much less likely to upset your stomach

Hydrolysed whey which is the best but the extra cost is not worth it to me as you can still get a decent amount of protein from isolate and there are usually less flavours

I currently use Instant whey pro which has a pretty good taste and a variety of flavours..
    I have used maxi nutrition which has a good taste but the price per serving is usually pretty bad
    and I have used Gold standard Casein which is also good

Instant whey is what I always use though

for me if a serving gives you 18 to 25 grams of protein and is about 90 to 120 calories than I would say its a good powdered protein.. 20 grams of protein is my cut of point though

I have seen so many fancy brands which are overly priced with only 12 grams of protein and much more than 100 calories per serving (generally not targetted at people like me ) so choose wisely and read the label

• I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    if you want to test out flavours and you live in uk check out the myprotein website. they do samples
    I have never used them because I prefer to stick with my brand but it looks like they have a shed load of flavours
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I've never found protein powder to be particularly satiating or otherwise "keep me full longer"....it's ultimately a beverage and gets absorbed very quickly which is why it is beneficial to recovery after a good workout. It is true that protein is generally satiating, but I would say that is only the case when you're actually eating it like chicken or steak, etc as it takes awhile to get broken down and digested. Your body doesn't have to do a whole lot to absorb protein in beverage form.

Personally, I like Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate and I use it as a supplement to help me hit my targets and for recovery from training.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can't answer for taste and stomach problems for you personally, but I've tried a couple powders, and my favorite so far is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in the rocky road flavor (120 cal, 24g protein). Another one I really like and also still currently use is Body Fortress in the chocolate peanut flavor (190 cal, 30g protein). ON is an isolate. BF is a concentrate/isolate mix, though at it's price point it's probably more concentrate that isolate. Personally, I can't drink either of them with water because I don't like the taste, so I use unsweetened almond milk (not that there's anything wrong with drinking them with regular ole 2% either. It just gives me stomach issues, but that has nothing to do with the protein).
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in the past. Had some digestive issues and got just plain burnt out on it.

Recently got Royal Whey at the recommendation of another lady who has had problems with various brands and so far so good.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I use Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Complete Protein & Vitamin Shake Mix in Chocolate, I find vanilla protein mix to taste like I'm drinking a glass of thinned out frosting
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree that protein powder doesn't really help me feel full.

I've been using Muscletech, 40 bucks for 4lbs I think, does SO and I around a month. They improved their chocolate taste, its not as chalky anymore and actually isn't horrible, but I mix mine in coffee so who knows how it is in water or milk.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My favourites are Vega and Sunwarrior. Both are vegan protein powders using pea and rice protein. I can't tolerate whey protein (it gives me insane heartburn) and soy upsets my stomach. Unfortunately, their price points are much higher than whey protein powders, so I use it sparingly.

My advice is to see if you can try samples of various brands and see which one you like the best!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I value good, taste, minimal ingredients, and milk that comes from grass fed cows not given artificial growth hormones, so I buy Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural.

I don't find protein powder filling on its own but the breakfast smoothie I make with it sure is filling.

jc7nneltmht6.png
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was using a whey protein powder, but it caused stomach issues. Some people can't digest whey and it passes in to the intestines where it has to be fermented, causing pain, gas and bloating. My neighbor is a dietitian and she recommends either brown rice protein or pea protein, as they are hypoallergenic and easy to digest. Personally, I feel like the whey protein powder helped me feel fuller a little longer than the almond butter I was using, but I haven't tested any other powders
  • ivadaeBl
    ivadaeBl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The best protein powder and don't taste like powder is chike. www.chikenutrician.com it's not a high $ cost either. They also have a Facebook. And tell them my name that I sent you. They know me pretty well. They even tried my cake I made with chike and posted it on fb. They are the friendliest people and so nice to talk to on the phone. they will even visit with you a little bit and it's not a visit like talking you into the product it's not that type a visit
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't have whey concentrate due to it giving me digestive issues.

I alternate between optimum nutrition casein, it's thick, creamy and filling. And Quest, which is a mix of Isolate and Casein.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I love Animal Brand Whey from bodybuilding.com #4 on the one list above. So far 4 flavors in and no complaints on taste. Love it. I drink it with my vitamins and no upset stomach at all.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just my $.02 but I've never found protein powder to be particularly satiating or otherwise "keep me full longer"....it's ultimately a beverage and gets absorbed very quickly which is why it is beneficial to recovery after a good workout. It is true that protein is generally satiating, but I would say that is only the case when you're actually eating it like chicken or steak, etc as it takes awhile to get broken down and digested. Your body doesn't have to do a whole lot to absorb protein in beverage form.

Personally, I like Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate and I use it as a supplement to help me hit my targets and for recovery from training.

To add to this, adding things like peanut butter, oats or fruit to my protein help keep me feeling full. I also consider it a snack, not a meal.

I like ON. I've also been using Trutein lately which I like but it's one of those things people love or don't.

Someone above mentioned pea protein - the only one I have tried was the Arbonne stuff (I tried someone else's). It was awful.
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I first tried Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Rocky Road when my sons were HS football players and lifting like crazy and have liked it ever since.

I try to add it to my black coffee every morning for my commute since I was never a breakfast eater. The only trick is letting your coffee cool a bit or it will curdle. It honestly takes like a coffee store mocha and I feel like I get a decent start to the morning.
  • cyan_skye23
    cyan_skye23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've been currently careful with my carbs so I've been eating two boiled eggs for breakfast. I absolutely HATE eggs, I literally gag trying to eat them. But I was thinking the extra protein would help prevent the daily 2pm binge party lol!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In the past I've just used Body Fortress which you can buy at Walmart. It tastes pretty good, but I use almond milk instead of water. The vanilla is really delicious with some almond milk and cinnamon blended together. However, I don't rely on protein powder shakes as something to keep me full because they don't. I could drink a shake and be hungry two hours later. I will use them to get more protein in, but I don't use them solely as a meal replacement. I've never been a fan of drinking my calories as it's just not satisfying.
  • DEEP_HEART
    DEEP_HEART Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I will suggest be natural
    Gain nutrients from green vegitables and fruits nothing is better then those