How would you lift metabolism after big deficit?

Options
I was on 1500 cals per day for this past 5 months. I know as soon as I attempt to eat 2000 cals per day that is going straight to fat as my metabolism has dropped. I know it has as even though I'm eating 1500 cals per day the weight loss is slowing down big time to 1lb per week, I reckon about 1600 cals per day would be maintenance for me now, 1700 is bulking.

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Your weight loss is not slowing down due to a metabolism decrease by eating at a deficit; it's slowing down because you now weigh less and your body needs/burns less calories. If you're losing one pound per week on 1500 calories, your maintenance would be 2000 calories, not 1600. Bulk calories would be over 2000 calories. I'm 5'3.5" and 111 pounds; MY maintenance is 2000+. So my next question to you is do you use a food scale?
    Religiously. Everything I eat is accounted for.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Are you sedentary or do you have any other medical issues?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    If you are losing a lb a week eating 1500 calories, your maintenance cannot be 1600 calories. A 100 calorie a week deficit would not yield a lb a week weight loss, not even close.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Are you sedentary or do you have any other medical issues?

Nope I'm a carpenter so certainly not sedentary and no medical conditions
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    If you are losing a lb a week eating 1500 calories, your maintenance cannot be 1600 calories. A 100 calorie a week deficit would not yield a lb a week weight loss, not even close.

Ok I am obviously in the wrong I guess.
  • Maxematics
    Options
    How long have you been losing one pound per week? Do you have a high sodium diet?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You're throwing out a bunch of numbers that make no sense.

If you lose 1 pound per week eating 1500 each day, your TDEE is 2000. Possibly more, once you add in TEF.

What is going on when you eat 2000 is that you will gain a little weight initially as you reestablish glycogen stores, plus normal weight fluctuation will just be a bit higher, it isn't fat.

If you're losing at 1lb at 1500, you can rise your cals by 250 for 2 weeks and 250 for 2 weeks to get back to maintenance without stressing so much.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    How long have you been losing one pound per week? Do you have a high sodium diet?

Past couple of weeks just. Some days its can be quite high.
  • Maxematics
    Options
    Then you may have some water retention going on as well.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I intend to slowly work up to maintenance at about 100 cal increases each week. Plus my hope is that by that stage I am exercising more so my metabolism should bounce back fairly well. Again, no expert but hey, it's the Internet. Everyone has an opinion. :)
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of 100 calorie increases every 1-2 weeks. Just monitor your weight as you go and adjust things depending on your goals. You can google "reverse dieting" for more info on this approach.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You have the data. As others have said, do the math. You're losing a pound per week on 1500 so your maintenance is 2000ish. Add 100 calories to your day, each week, until you hit maintenance.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Thanks guys :wink: