Too much protein?

dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
I keep coming in the red on protein. I am assuming I'm getting too much protein for the weight loss I want to achieve. I didn't see any guidelines for how much protein on a 1200 calorie diet.

Replies

• timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    take your body weight, mine is 200, take in that many grams of protein in 6 meals....protein takes longer for the body to metabolize, thus you burn cals.....so, protein up, weight down....
  • Thats not eally something I would worry about! In the red is one thing, but say you were to get double the protein you needed, and starved yourself instead of exercising, then tthat excess protein would turn into carbs. Dont feel bad if you get into the red. There no way to tell for sure how much protein someones body needs because everyoes body is different. Dont use it as a rule but rather as a guideline.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    The MFP guide line is set at 15% which in my opinion is really low. I have mine set at 40% and when I stick to that number I lose weight a lot faster than when I don't eat much protein.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    You can change your preferences. I have mine set at 40c, 30f, 30p and it works well for me. I think MFP has their protein levels low and carb levels high.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    take your body weight, mine is 200, take in that many grams of protein in 6 meals....protein takes longer for the body to metabolize, thus you burn cals.....so, protein up, weight down....

You don't need that much, no one does and on a 1200 cal diet it would not leave her enough room for carbs and fat.
    MFP sets your goal to 15% of total calories from protein, but a balanced diet can consist of protein up to 30%, so even if you are double the amount you will be fine and it is not too much.

You can go in and change your % by going to goals, change goals, custom, make your changes then save changes
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    You are not going to gain any extra weight from extra protein. Your muscles are going to use what protein they need and the rest will exit the body naturally, if you know what I mean. As far as I know protein cannot be turned into fat. The settings on MFP for protein are set a little low, so you can change the settings or not worry too much about it, as long as you are on track with your goals.
  • timlord
    protein will not turn into carbs...they are two entirely different substances...protein will help you get leaner, and burn calories even at rest...
  • erickirb
    You are not going to gain any extra weight from extra protein. Your muscles are going to use what protein they need and the rest will exit the body naturally, if you know what I mean. As far as I know protein cannot be turned into fat. The settings on MFP for protein are set a little low, so you can change the settings or not worry too much about it, as long as you are on track with your goals.

All excess calories can be stored as fat regardless of source. Fat to fat, carbs to fat, protein to fat. If you ate 3000 cals/day 90% protein you will gain weight, not to mention have kidney issues.
  • erickirb
    protein will not turn into carbs...they are two entirely different substances...protein will help you get leaner, and burn calories even at rest...

Protein does not burn calories at rest, muscle does, but protein does help you build muscle, if you are doing strength training.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    A reasonable amount of protein per day is between 40 and 60 grams. Too much protein can cause ketosis. Many who use ketosis based diets (such as Atkins) disregard others who claim it is not good for the body.

I agree with the latter, my doctor told me ketosis is dangerous to employ as a long-term method of weightloss. Carbs a good for the body to a point. All these diets that restrict one thing or another are either fads or flawed.

Eat healthy foods, keep your protein levels below 75 to 80, and you should be fine. If too much protein is a problem, eat more fruits and vegetables.

Most of the advice I give to people on MFP is to eat more fruits and vegetables. They are nutritious, low in calories, will allow you to eat *more* for less, and almost all of them contain anti-oxidants which fight cancer by eliminating free radicals from your body.
  • timlord
    not true, the settings are off, plainly speaking, and after 8 years of research in my field, protein will burn the cals faster..additionally, did you know the body's preferred fuel is fat?
  • timlord
    again, please be careful about who you solicit info from...try getting proper information from a RD, MD, Phyd, or a MA in the education fitness field
    we have all studied this
    I put my wife on a 150 g protein, 150 g carb, 60 g fat routine for eight weeks, 3 resistance days of exercise 3 of cardio
    she dropped 25 pounds, 20 inches, and 7 percent body fat
  • timlord
    protein takes more effort for the body to metabolize I TAUGHT HEALTH EDUCATION 20 YEARS AND AM A DOCTORAL CANDIDATE IN FITNESS
  • timlord
    protein does not turn to fat, fat is a byproduct when glycogen is not used and coverted stored in fat cells
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    I'm on a paleo style diet. My macro numbers are: 30% protein, 20% carbs, 50% fat. (Healthy good fats.) I eat 1 g of protein per pound of ideal body weight---so around 100g of protein a day from meat, fish, eggs, seafood and nut sources. I eat a TON of green leafy veggies, bell peppers, zucchinis, onions, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, even carrots, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. I limit my fruit to one a day unless I'm going to be doing a LOT of working out. Then I might have a second serving of fruit for the day. Water is my only beverage. I sweeten with small amounts of REAL honey. I use a lot of extra virgin first cold pressing olive oil and organic hexane free virgin coconut oil---in fact, I usually eat a spoon of coconut oil in between meals to help the process of healing my guts from damage.

I feel better than I ever have before and I'm ALWAYS eating. Oh, and it's nice that I can pronounce everything that goes into my body. ;)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member

All excess calories can be stored as fat regardless of source. Fat to fat, carbs to fat, protein to fat. If you ate 3000 cals/day 90% protein you will gain weight, not to mention have kidney issues.

For some reason I don't think she is eating 90% protein in her diet, I know you were using this as an example, but the little bit of extra protein she is eating is not going to be "stored" as long as she has a healthy calorie defecit.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    My trainer said--when you think you've eaten enough protein...eat some more. lol. He said we need to eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight for women. For men, who are trying to build, it should be 1.5-2g per lb of body weight. MFP presets are pretty low but you can adjust it yourself.
  • timlord
    btw
    53 y old
    5 11
    202 pounds
    15 per body fat 28 BMI

BS MA Psyd Cand Sports Performance Psychology
  • erickirb
    My trainer said--when you think you've eaten enough protein...eat some more. lol. He said we need to eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight for women. For men, who are trying to build, it should be 1.5-2g per lb of body weight. MFP presets are pretty low but you can adjust it yourself.

are you sure they said that high, that means most guys would have to eat 300-350 grams of protein. I think, and from my knowledge that it is grams per kg of body weight, so for women 1 g/kg of body weight and men 1.5-2g/kg body weight (which is still higher than what I have found).
  • erickirb
    wow, obviuosly we have a lot of people on here that just dont know about anatomy, kiniesiology, biomechanics, and cellular biomechanics
    I stand by my 34 years in the field, 2 degrees and doctoral work
    listen to the others if you want

This may be so but you were just pushing that protein burns calories, unless you meant that your body burns more calories breaking down protein than it does ... But this is not what you said, you stated that protein burns calories, which makes no senses as they are calories, they don't burn a thing.
This discussion has been closed.