On Difficulty and Hutzpah (or Improved Binging and What a Good Boyfriend a Donut Makes)

Options
godlikepoetyes
godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
edited May 2016 in Success Stories
On again, off again. On again. Off. Off. Off. On again. Following a food plan, finding my way past binging and binging and obsessing and despairing and by turns feeling entirely equal to the situation, to eating on a saucer or spooning my ice cream into tiny bowl, to gladly eating my Weight Watchers Lite Jalapeno Cheese Sticks and Stacy’s Plain Bagel Chips (230 calories) or my Thomas English Muffin with Land o Lake’s Lite Butter and 2 Slices of Morningstar Fakon (330 calories), to stopping, stopping eating by 5 pm, okay 6 pm.

And then going out to J. Alexander’s and trying and failing to push back the plate, picking and picking and picking and finally picking the thing up and moving it to the other side of the table beside my mother-in-law, well out of reach. And then STILL thinking about the other half of the burger that I’m not even slightly hungry for.

Or trying not to HEAR my Luna Protein Bars beckoning to me from the kitchen drawer or the siren song of the exquisite Burger King Hershey Pie (380 calories) cause really it’s only five minutes away! All of this in the midst of such success.

Such steady progress. Such oh my goodness you’ve lost SO much weight you look terrific! And yes I do. I look terrific. I feel terrific. But I still binge.

Except, when I don’t. And when I do binge it’s not like I used to binge because it would really make me ill. No driving to the bakery for a creamed-fill donut (450 calories) and an apple fritter (550 calories) and one of those little peanut cakes with frosting on top (250 calories). No more eating all that sugar in the car and of course all that sugar makes me feel so TERRIBLE and I must have a Wendy’s Baconator (650 calories) and LARGE Fries (600 calories) which I take home and eat sitting in my recliner in front in my TV where I will stay for hours without moving all the while very unsettled and sometimes despairing because I have, indeed, done it again.

No, when I binge now it’s a couple of Pop Tarts (400 calories) and a Luna Bar (170 calories). Or a LOT of Sanita Tortilla Chips (460 calories) and a Snack Pack Chocolate Pudding (110 calories) and Lotus Cookies (4 for 150 calories), sometimes staying within my calorie allowance, sometimes not. This is because I have made so much PROGRESS and I continue to lose weight and battle my way through the morass of the curious dancing of Me + Food our initials carved into a tree inside a little heart, me and the chocolate-covered cream-filled donuts. Me and the Fritos. Me and Food, we are tight, we are thick as thieves. Me and my cohort of sugary salty please save my life dependable always tastes the same never disappointing readymade foods. We are stepping up the steps to the school bus and facing another troubling disappointing day because really, my life is just a series of bitter disappointments and my goodness. What am I doing?

Oh. Yeah. I’m doing that thing. I’m obsessing, I’m miring up in the difficulty. I just had five cookies so my childhood is even worse than I thought and I am nothing but a disappointing lump of flesh, useless, useless.

Sophia Loren, when asked how she dealt with food/diet, wrote “I concentrate on the goal, not the difficulty.” She also said she didn’t eat potato chips because it really is impossible to stop, even for a movie star who could surely hire someone to smack her little toddler hands away from the yawning mouth of the bag…oh my gods, I am doing it AGAIN.
Overthinking. Obsessing. Romancing the FOOD. Please Most Marvelous Mr. Reese Cup, take me to the dance. Please kiss me. No one else has. Please be my first forever best KISS.

The goal is to lose pounds and feel better and better. And better. The difficulty is mostly in my head. The difficulty is located squarely in the mythology I’ve woven to understand the story of my life. The story of Me. Plus Food. One part Truth. Three parts fiction. An overblown entirely out of date story. One that I am about the business of rewriting.

Every time I post one of these pieces on MFP, I get a little nutty. I feel like a fraud. I feel like I’m about to be found out. And I get obsessed with the comments, with reading them and answering them. Will they LIKE me? Will they say NICE things to me? Will I be bitterly disappointed, AGAIN? And even when I tell myself, Rebecca. This is My Fitness Pal! You are not submitting this for publication. There is no competition here. You won't get famous here. Even when I tell myself these sensible, rational things, I still obsess and ruminate and wind up nutty and BINGING. Really. We are all grown up but impossibly silly little kids.

Of course, it’s not just me and it’s not just us. It’s almost everybody out there! We are the ones who are becoming aware, who have jumped into the creek and are swimming upstream. We are often exhausted and have to cling to the bank while someone spoons ice cream into our mouths, but then we let go and start swimming again. We refuse to just float back down the stream. And if we're smart we know that we will always be swimming upstream, even when we've met our goals, even when we finally (I hope) make our peace with food. But we will be stronger and the swimming will be easier (I hope, we all hope, we dwell in hope!).

Good lord, Rebecca. Enough with the metaphors. And enough with the romance. Food is food. A cigar is a cigar and a donut is a donut. Neither has the power to undo my life. Or to make me five years old again. Or eleven. Or twenty-six.

Food is food.

-rebecca

(oh. and writing helps me. that's why I do it and post it here because it may help you, too. and I am not asking for advice like "don't bring junk food into your house." I will always keep snacks in my house. and I don't have an un-diagnosed untreated eating disorder. and i am a very happy person. except when i obsess and fret and complain and whine.)

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think most of us here can relate to over thinking food sometimes !
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I think you've summed up a lot of internal dialogue over the past 48 years of my life... You're not alone.
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... (I do--literally) :blush:
  • Mississippi1959
    Mississippi1959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! You read my diary. Having the most difficult time getting started. A failed lapband left me at 84 pounds 3 years ago. Now my weight has been climbing steadedly at 205. Thank you for the humor and perspective. Maybe now I can take a little breath from the crazy mind talk.
  • 2strive4fitness
    2strive4fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always look forward to reading your posts. They hit home for me and put things in perspective! Thanks for sharing.
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    Strive for Progress! Yes!
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You have a gift for expressing what many people feel.
  • Amethystwolf
    Amethystwolf Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything. So relatable. You are not alone!
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rebecca - you made me smile! It's a little bit like you crawled into my brain and shared a tiny shard with the world. :D
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    "crawled into my brain" that's the sort of thing i write all the time.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    curious dancing of Me + Food our initials carved into a tree inside a little heart, me and the chocolate-covered cream-filled donuts. Me and the Fritos. Me and Food, we are tight, we are thick as thieves. Me and my cohort of sugary salty please save my life dependable always tastes the same never disappointing readymade foods.

This^^ you are my food twin!
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    hi, food twin!
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've read your posts. Your writing is incredible, and scary at just how damn much I can relate. Today was a rough day mentally. Thanks for writing this....it helps. I will keep swimming!!!!
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    I do like to help people with my writing. It's hard for all of us and knowing that we pretty much are all batty with worry and cravings, etc., etc. really can help.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh the party our obsessive selves could have together. As I told you in my message to you, I've begun really letting my freak flag fly and found myself "talking" to a box of cereal that was out to get me. I kept picturing it in terms of some Disney movie w those wavy trance/spell lines ensnaring me and pulling me close. 1/2 c, ok an even cup, no that's obsessive, a cup and just some extra that "spilled" on the counter... Other days now I can walk by choc chip pumpkin muffins I made that even my kids have referred to as crack muffins- that's scary- and say to myself look who learned balance and intuitive eating and is done bingeing. Other times I stuff myself w something my mom used to make as though that will bring her back. Seriously? How many times just while I've been on MFP have I declared I had my final binge. One day I may be right- maybe not. But in the clear light of morning, after I've had a day/night of not bingeing I can acknowledge it was a good feeling day:night. The more I can have of those- then I can be happy w my progress!!

Please keep writing- when you're feeling good and even when you're not (although I hope that's not as frequent!) your ability and determination to "live out loud" is very meaningful and selfishly speaking, is helping me a lot- not to get all co-dependent on you!

I clearly need to work on not being too verbose!!! (Ooh- an old SAT word!) have a splendid day!
  • maryrice702
    maryrice702 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love to read your posts, so relatable, so inspirational. Incredibly, a reminder to swim before underwater gods pull me down.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Isn't that amazing that we can fall and still make progress??? Key here is to NEVER give up NEVER stop trying ;)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Nice you can improve binging with Chutzpah. hmm improved binging.
    Wait a moment. By writing, de- improved binging occured.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "I just had five cookies so my childhood is worse than I thought." Best line.

Great stuff.
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    "I just had five cookies so my childhood is worse than I thought." Best line.

Great stuff.

You know those studies they've done dealing with gratitude? If you tell someone to write about their troubles, they often end up feeling worse. But if you tell them to write about what they are grateful for, they end up feeling so much better.

I think the same is true with how we view our childhoods--I heard a fellow poet say this--"I'm having a bad day so I had an awful childhood." I have never forgotten that.

I always thought I had an awful childhood because I spent so many years reflecting/focusing on the bad parts. Now, if I focus on the good stuff, I feel like I get a much clearer picture of what really happened. It wasn't all horrible and sad. Much of it was marvelous.

I'm trying to do the same thing with food and my "struggles" with it. Food is not horrible, it is not the enemy, it is not out to get me. And my relationship with food has not been all sorrow and shame. If I keep focusing on the sorrow and shame, I'll keep spinning my wheels forever. I'm hoping that I can press down the gas and just get on with my life!
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Nice you can improve binging with Chutzpah. hmm improved binging.
    Wait a moment. By writing, de- improved binging occured.

Ooops! Chutzpuh. I am a TERRIBLE speller.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!