Can someone please review my food

Options
Hi fellow MFPers :smile:

Can any of you offer some constructive criticism and review my food diaries. I've been on here 2 weeks trying to break past my plateau. From the tons of posts I've read on here and a visit to GNC I've added a multivitamin pack to my diet as well as added more protein, more than I feel I have ever had. I eat carbs for breakfast to fuel my workout, then drink water and usually have a protein shake afterward. I've been exercising religiously 6 days a week. I feel great but the I'm not seeing much in the way of results and just want to make sure I'm on the right track NOW and fix any glitches. I snack a lot to avoid an emergency run for fast food or anything. I know the weight didn't go on overnight and won't come off overnight, just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks in advance for any expertise you can offer me. I have never been this motivated before and truly want to make this happen for myself. This site is the best and so are all of you!!!!

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Maybe try tracking your sodium? It can make you retain water and is very obnoxious =)
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey hey! I don't really know if I'm qualified enough to give you feedback on what you're eating...but I can tell you that sodium plays a huge part in my weight loss it seems. Perhaps you could track your sodium as well to make sure you're staying near the recommended amounts?

Good luck!
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Also, how much water are you drinking every day?
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Sodium.... got it!! Thanks :)
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but maybe leaner meats would help. Try turkey and chicken breast and some fish. It seems like you are getting a lot of fat from some of the meats in your diet. Hope that helps.
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    You are eating a lot of processed foods and diet foods (light, sugar free, fat free, ext..) when they process these foods to be this way they add in a ton of chemicals and other bad things for you (often more sugar, fake sugar, salt, and so on).

You should definitely add in more vegetables and fruit. You shouldn't think of this lifestyle in terms of single nutrients (proteins vs carbs vs fats), they ALL work together to give us our healthiest body possible and they ALL play an equally important part in our life.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of processed foods and diet foods (light, sugar free, fat free, ext..) when they process these foods to be this way they add in a ton of chemicals and other bad things for you (often more sugar, fake sugar, salt, and so on).

You should definitely add in more vegetables and fruit. You shouldn't think of this lifestyle in terms of single nutrients (proteins vs carbs vs fats), they ALL work together to give us our healthiest body possible and they ALL play an equally important part in our life.

Exactly what I was going to say. I've noticed that when I got rid of all the other crap and did veggies and fruit **only** for snacks (sometimes lunch) I was able to break through. Also I didn't check, but are you drinking enough water?
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I looked at your exercise diary as well and, dare I say it, but you might not be eating enough! 500 calories difference should be the aim (max). You usually go past this limit and, therefore, your body COULD be holding onto fat it receives.

It's really important that you eat your exercise calories.

Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It was so funny. As I was reviewing your diary, the sodium column just magically appeared. I would definitely make the same recommendations as the others, monitor your sodium and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I was having some trouble with water retention here recently and I learned on another thread that potassium will counter the effects of the sodium. In my research, I learned that it is recommended to try to consume equal amounts of potassium as sodium. You might consider watching that category too.
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options

Okay great, that helps a lot. I was used to the low carb lifestyle of little sugar and stuff instead of watching calories. I do eat a good deal of fruit, I love it. But maybe I'll stop with the sugar-free stuff as it adds other stuff to compensate. And yes, I drink a lot of water, at least my 8 cups a day. I have one of those water bottles that looks like a mini water cooler (LOL) that holds 64oz of water. I drink at least on of those a day if not more. I am peeing non-stop.
  • Bbethel
    Bbethel Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello there! :flowerforyou: I know exactly how you are feeling. I was getting quite discourage because I initially lost 7 lbs, but then became very stagnant. Did you pick a weekly goal and then set the number of calories you can eat per day? If not, this is where you may be falling short.

Think of it this way, picture those refugees in Ethiopia. How many of them are overweight? If you don't eat, you will lose weight. I don't care what you're eating. Of course you want to ensure you're getting the proper nutrients so that your body will perform, but if you ate one milkshake and it was over 1000 calories, you pretty much know you can't eat much more than an apple for the rest of the day. :wink:

You want to lose fat, so concentrate on how you look and not so much the weight. If you're using weights, your weight will initially seem to increase or remain the same, but you'll start noticing changes in the way your body is shaped.

I wish you well.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    And....I have heard a plateau described as more then 4 weeks of no lbs OR inches lost.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I looked at your exercise diary as well and, dare I say it, but you might not be eating enough! 500 calories difference should be the aim (max). You usually go past this limit and, therefore, your body COULD be holding onto fat it receives.

It's really important that you eat your exercise calories.

Good luck!

This is totally a myth. You don't have to eat back the exercise calories if you don't want to. It really depends on how high your BMI is whether or not your body can afford to lose those calories. You have to do a crazy math calculation to figure it out exactly how many calories your body needs to hold on to. AND it takes several weeks of deprivation for there to be any ill effects.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs to about 100-125g/day, increase protein to 1.0 g per lb you weigh, and keep your fat around 25-35g per day. Remove the carb intake after 5pm and eat less processed foods. Eating less processed foods will directly lower your sodium intake and sugars. Hope this helps.
  • MissVV
    MissVV Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree with amie_46 I think there's a lack of fresh fruit and veg. Each calorie you eat should be an opportunity to really nourish your body with vitamins, minerals, fibre etc for lovely shiny hair, good skin, feeling energised and preventing disease. I feel like calories are wasted on diet syrup, diet butter spreads and protein shakes - all full of unnatural chemicals that mess with your body's chemistry. Also I'm not sure you need protein shakes at all, too much protein just overloads your kidneys and isn't really necessary. Sorry if i sound negative (I actually had an exam on analysing diet diaries today!!) Your calorie intake is nice and low, you shoudl still lose the weight, but you will feel more fabulous if you cut out the processed stuff. If you can't pronounce the ingredients it's not good to eat!! Best of luck, Im sure you'll do great!
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Thank you SOOOOO much everyone, this was just the help I needed! :happy: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Overall, it isn't bad but a few things might be helpful. The calories shift alot so maybe try to be more consistant. Many of the meals are over 600 calories and according to my nutritionist that should be the max for any one meal. Especially the dinner as you don't have much activity after the last meal of the day.

The water was low on some of the days and that can make a big difference.

Also, one day had over 1000 calories of snacks. That many snacks is called grazing, eating all day and is very unhealthy. You need to have meals: 3 meals and 1 or 2 snacks or 4-5 mini meals. But not snacking.

Is the protein powder w/water? If so, are you adding that water as it counts.

Reducing the processed foods will really help as well.

You have a fair amount of protein but I don't see the fiber (veggies) and that can be a problem. You need to have both!

Just keep adjusting til you find the right balance!

Best of Luck!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Where are your fruits and veggies????
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Where are your fruits and veggies????

I have broccoli as a side dish with dinner, I had corn the other night, I cook onions and mushrooms with my meals, I eat a small fruit salad a snack most nights, and often have an apple as a snack, just bought celery yesterday as a snack. I will add more veggies, they are sooooo yummy and I realize now I think I need more... eat fruit daily but need more veggies!!! Got it!
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Lots of great ideas for when hitting a plateau...lowering carbs, adding leaner meats and less processed foods. I would also suggest limiting fat intake overall but specifically in each meal (12-15 g max p/meal for example).