Fitbit charge HR or alta? :)

Options
Hi guys! I just want to have some advice on which fitbit product to choose. The charge hr or the alta? If you have any of the two, I'd appreciate some comments about your experience with that certain product as well as its functions which you think are very useful. :# I'm really having a hard time choosing between the two. :Dthank you very much in advance! :)

Replies

• kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The Charge HR has heart rate but does NOT have capability for a "reminder to move" alarm. The Alta has the alarm along with other notifications, but no heart rate monitoring. From what I have seen on the fitbit forums, they have no intention of adding the alarm capability to the Charge HR ever. Otherwise they're basically the same, so it boils down to whether heart rate monitoring vs an alarm if you haven't moved in an hour is important to you or not.

Me, I have a Zip (which I love) so I'm otherwise no help in that regard.
  • ynah12795
    ynah12795 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you @kuroshii! I appreciate your comment and I'll definitely consider what you've just said :) i'm torn between the charge hr's continuous heart rate and the alta's classy look and interchangeable straps plus the reminder to move notif. If only there's a product which has both :D thanks again for your insight :)
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I can't get my zip to pair with my phone.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr. I use it to keep track of my steps, my slepe, and occasionally check my heart rate to see my resting pace. I love it. I won't be going back down to the alta like some have. My next buy will be the Fitbit blaze for the touchscreen and the interchangeable bands but, all the same features of the Charge HR. Plus you can dismiss calls on it and control your music. Good Luck find what works for you personally!
  • hnahae
    hnahae Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit HR and it's the only fitness band I have ever owned so maybe I'm a bit biased but I love that I can see the heart rate to know how hard I am actually working it and also see the range throughout the day to tell when I was truly most active comparing heart rate and steps.
  • ynah12795
    Options
    Thanks @SexyGamerGal ! I appreciate it :) as of now I am more likely to go with the HR.
  • ynah12795
    Options
    @hnahae hello! seems like the HR is pretty durable and worth the money :smile: do you have any issues regarding the band? Like its quality after workouts where your fitbit gets sweaty?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My girlfriend returned her Charge HR because it wasn't accurate during exercise. The HR was fine while she was sitting at work or on the couch, but not when she'd hike uphill at a brisk pace. But exercise is when you want an HRM, not rest.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the Alta and chose it because I thought it was more feminine than the charge. To me the charge is bulky, plus I've heard the band is prone to break (it's usually replaced under warranty but I didn't want to deal with the hassle) The main differences are that you can change the band on the Alta and cannot on the charge, the charge gives you your heart rate/flights of stairs climbed and the Alta does not, the Alta can display your text messages and the charge can not...I think that's about it from what I've noticed. I've had the zip, flex and alta and so far I'm very happy with the Alta.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've had the zip for over a year, and am getting the Alta on Wednesday, I cant wait!!!!

My main form of exercise is walking, so a HR monitor isn't really essential for me. I chose the Alta because it has the reminder to move function, it'll track my sleep automatically, recognises exercise compared to normal daily steps and it looks pretty, plus I've heard it underestimates slightly. I have a suspicion that my zip overestimates.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @leelou84 How does your Alta compare with the other fitbits you've had, as in accuracy and step count?
  • __leis__
    Options
    @Christine_72 I feel like the Flex and Alta are very similar in step count accuracy. I have routes that I walk around my neighborhood, I know what blocks/streets are 1,000 steps and so far my Alta reflects the same step count for those areas as my Flex did. I had the zip several years ago so I can't compare it to the other two but if it's the only device in your price range it's absolutely worth it and is a great motivational tool (I got mine used on Craigslist for $20)
  • __leis__
    Options
    @Christine_72 I just saw that you already have the zip, the one thing you will have to get used to is charging it. I really liked the zip because I never had to replace the battery. It's so convenient to have a watch, I never have to look around for my phone when I want to quickly check the time!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    leelou84 wrote: »
    @Christine_72 I feel like the Flex and Alta are very similar in step count accuracy. I have routes that I walk around my neighborhood, I know what blocks/streets are 1,000 steps and so far my Alta reflects the same step count for those areas as my Flex did. I had the zip several years ago so I can't compare it to the other two but if it's the only device in your price range it's absolutely worth it and is a great motivational tool (I got mine used on Craigslist for $20)

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked is that there are hundreds of posts on the fitbit Alta forum complaining that it doesn't pick up all the steps or hardly counts steps at all.. It's starting to make me a bit nervous.
  • samamaof2
    samamaof2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought the alta and loved it! But switched to charge HR. Gave the Alta to my mom. Alta: I loved the reminder to get up & move, it was also cool to see ur texts on the screen, activity flower was pretty. Of course, it's super cute itself. The reason I got rid of it was because i was afraid I'd break screen. I do body combat, lots of punching. I was afraid it was going to pop off because of the clasp. I much more prefer the watch band of charge hr. If u don't do crazy workouts like bc or insanity I'd get the alta. If you do, get the charge HR. I was also jealous of my friends getting badges for stairs on challenges & i couldn't! Step wise, I felt both worked the same.
  • hnahae
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ynah12795 wrote: »
    @hnahae hello! seems like the HR is pretty durable and worth the money :smile: do you have any issues regarding the band? Like its quality after workouts where your fitbit gets sweaty?

I don't feel that it gets any more or less sweaty than any other area. Obviously sweat will collect at the band with any fitness band but it doesn't seem to cause more sweat.
    I bought mine used from a friend and considering it's over a year old and she wore it every day I would say it has held up to wear and tear great. I can't really tell the difference between mine and the new one my boyfriend has.
  • hnahae
    Options
    an additional note, my coworkers that have the alta are really annoyed with the snap band not staying fastened, we work in health care so maybe a desk job it would be okay as you're not so much working hands on. They like the alta otherwise but hate that with a workout and hands on work it doesn't stay on.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ynah12795 wrote: »

@ynah12795 With the fitbit HR regarding sweat. It does recommend you clean it after heavy sweaty points with a soap-less cleaner like cetaphil. For some reason I screenshot'd this when I was setting it up months ago. So if you do go with the HR probably pick up some if you don't have some.
    unwqBNu.png?2
  • kdjp15
    kdjp15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just go the HR for my birthday and I love it! I find not problem with it counting steps and the sleep function is great!
  • ynah12795
    Options
    @SexyGamerGal okay thank you for the info! I'll probably get the charge HR next month :D