struggling

Options
three19
three19 Posts: 9 Member
I found this site a few months ago, I think it is great! I start out well and last about a week then I lose all momentum. It has been about a month since I last signed on. I keep using the excuse that my three teenage children suck up all my time but I know it is only an excuse. I am 43 yrs old and I am the biggest I have ever been. I have in the past been a fairly active person and continue to try but I am struggling. I usually eat fairly well through out the day but look out in the evening! I break out the potato chips and occasionally have a glass of wine. Any pointers to keep me motivated would be great .

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am in that same boat... :angry:
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    You need some support! If didn't have someone to walk with or keep me accountable I would have given up weeks ago too! That is why this website is so great! Get some friends on here that will encourage you to keep active and will give great tips and advice on how to achieve your goals!

Seeing my friends achieve and keep going is great motivation!

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • ktieman
    ktieman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you; late night is the worse for me also. My only grace is after I lost 50 pounds I thinks twice before I pick up that bag of chips. Sometimes it works, sometimes not; the main thing is don't get stuck on it. The next day is a new day and just pick up and go again.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals for the day ahead of time. If you like to snack on chips at night then snack on chips at night. You just have to plan for it and actaully weigh or count the chips. I do this sometimes with icecream!
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    Oh, and I also snack on carrots when i am craving chips! They are crunchy too! :)
  • TheNewLeah
    Options
    I can honestly say that the best motivator I have found with MFP is all my Fitness FRIENDS!!! I started adding people in my area and with similar goals and body types. But since then I have become friends with so many different people and getting to see what everyone else is doing, eating, etc is the best type of motivator.

The second thing that has helped is using the MFP app for my ipod/iphone. I keep them in my living room, or on my bedside table where I end up sitting around and thinking about snacks. When I log on and see how well all my other fitness pals are doing encourages me to do the same. Plus I end up spending so much time commenting on everyones status that I end up forgetting I wanted to snack!

Keeping my phone by my bed gives me a chance to catch up with all my logging just before I go to sleep and makes sure that I'm not interrupted. It's my ME time :)
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Good luck.. wine and cheese is my night time down fall. I try to add my meals the night before, during my snack time, that way I know and feel guilty about my calories. It helps me.
  • turkbte
    turkbte Posts: 1
    Options
    Good day everyone! I'm struggling too but staying steady. This app for my phone has really helped track my calories. Ouch lol. Anyway, my husband has been helping me with my weight training; I just need to bump up my cardio. You definitely have to put in some effort. I'm 44 and weight was never an issue pre-38.

I understand the pressure to do it all. I have a full time job; we have our own business; and, I'm trying to go to school. We also have two teenagers at home who attend college, work and are also trying to work out.

Keep up the effort everyone! It is worth it.
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating I know. Just over a year ago I was the biggest I had ever been. I'm 5.2 and weighed 218. I was in a size 20/22 depending on the cut. I decided that I had had it with always being the largest friend, the biggest mom, and the biggest wife. I didn't sleep well because my arms would fall asleep as I tried to tuck them in to my body and my legs would go to sleep if I sat on the floor. I have always been chunky, but this was past the chucky stage - I had become morbidly obese. The first week of changing my life, I thought I'd go nuts. There would be times when I'd look through my desk for food - knowing there wasn't any or stand with the fridge door open hoping that something would jump out and say "come and get it". I had to make a conscience effort to ALWAYS think about what I was putting in my mouth. I'd say the first week was my hardest. The second week was a little easier and the third week was even eaiser. As my weight loss journey continued, I fell off a few times, but I had introduced exercise (this was a cuss word the first month or so, but then becomes sweet once you get in the groove) so when I did screw up for the day, I didn't gain and could go back on track.
    Sorry for the long message, what I wanted to say is you need to decide what you want - fattening foods or a healthier you (and better looking). There were times that I wanted to throw in the towel, but didn't. Then I would look in the mirror as I put on those WAY smaller levis and said to myself: "It's worth it - look at me!"
    I am still on the journey, and will always will be. As you slowly change your lifestyle and eat more healthy, you will feel great and food will become your friend and not your enemy.
    Good luck to you. And remember: It's your decission. You can do it!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Please read my blog...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Hollycat

I have been in the same boat for years. 1 or 2 weeks, then crash and burn. I have a new attitude about it all. I've been at it since May 1st and done what I would have previously considered a 'crash and burn', at least twice. Because I have a different attitude toward it [I'm in it for life], my 'failures' haven't stopped me. And guess what.....I'm continuing to lose weight and for the first time in my life, I've convinced myself that I can do this. I can reach my 'ideal' weight. Watch me.

If my blog doesn't do it, try googling Kim Bensen. She lost over 200 pounds and has written a very good book on it. I took a lot of what she said in her book to heart. Finally. She doesn't purport any particular diet. It's just her story.

As for the evening eating...why fight it? Plan for it. Reserve calories for it. It's not a crime. A 20 gram package of Sun Chips and a 5 oz. glass of wine is about 327 calories. Whoopee. Not perfect. So?

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • three19
    three19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all, all very good points. I never really thought of planning the day ahead.. that might work, I can still enjoy an evening snack. Today I ate well , and exercised leaving me with enough to enjoy a glass of wine! Commited is what i need to be and I like what someone said.. if i fall off . just get back at it and dont beat myself up over it ( which i tend to be very good at)
    Again thanks!
  • LReese1956
    LReese1956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make a promise tomorrow morning to yourself and more importantly to GOD, that just for today you will not eat any potato chips or wine, or whatever you are struggling with. It's just for one day.....not the rest of your life. TRUST me......if you stick to your promise, the following morning you will feel so good about yourself and there wont be any guilt or remorse for screwing up yet again! The next day you make another promise and stick with it! Don't make excuses and dont give in to the lie. The lie is that you THINK you need it and you know what? You dont! Try it tomorrow morning and I'll be looking for your post on Thursday to hear about your success!!
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, if i were an expert , i would have the perfect answer for you....since i am an expert on evening snacking, ( lord knows i do enuff of it )>..what i find works for the moment...is i grab a cup of hot chocolate ( yes i know its summer, but its chocolate)...and log on to get a shot in the arm...and it keeps me away from the fridge n snacks long enuff to forget i wanted them...and it gets me busy....I've only been on this site since Saturday...and am struggling to get this journey started...so sitting here trying to help others, is helping me....

will help u if ya promise to drag me along on yer journey too...
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place. We have what you need!

Great ideas for overcoming the tempting little devil foods in your lives
    Friendship
    Accountability
    Encouargement

I have 2 sons and I know it's easy to let everyone else have the spot light and priority and you get the leftover attention.

Great ideas already given. I can add a few since the evening USED to be a challenge for me.

Hot cinnammon herbal tea with Stevia - warm, sweet and relaxing - 0 calories
    Fuze Slenderize Tropical Punch Drink - 10 calories - whole bottle
    Fresh pineapple or strawberries
    Sugar Free Popscicle (20 cal each)
    Large Banana - 100 calories

Sending you a friend request!

Yvonne :flowerforyou: