Workouts for Beginners?

Options
So, I am 36 and haven't exercised in QUITE some time. I am also a smoker, which I am working on that too. I joined the local YMCA because it's cheaper than a gym membership and they have a great selection of machines. My question is this, what is a good workout for an overweight beginner? I have been using the treadmill, the stationary bike and doing crunches and side bends but I know thats not enough, or maybe not the right "set-up" so to speak. So if anyone could give me an idea of what I should be doing as a regular routine for weight loss and to tighten flabby skin WITHOUT killing myself, I would be grateful. Please keep in mind I need to start at a reasonable rate and move up. Thanks!

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of starting slow and I think you are doing the right things.

For weight loss it's more about diet then excersize. Stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

If you are looking for more strength you could add in pushups, lunges and body weight squats.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Go over to the free weights section. Look at PHAT, 5/3/1, body part splits, Starting Strength, and any number of programs on bodybuilding.com. Pick one. The most important points are work hard and stick with it.
  • mrsjowen1
    mrsjowen1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of starting slow and I think you are doing the right things.

For weight loss it's more about diet then excersize. Stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

If you are looking for more strength you could add in pushups, lunges and body weight squats.

I have considerably cut my diet. I have cut all pop, fast food and sweets. I would like to do push ups but I don't have the upper body strength just yet to do them. I will give the lunges a try and body weight squats too. I'm most concerned with doing a 3-4 day a week regimen and balancing my workouts for optimal results. I don't want to be a body builder, I just want to lose the excess weight and have a toned look.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Walk and eat clean that's how I started in January and down 55 pounds now.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great program for beginners
  • mrsjowen1
    Options
    Thanks
  • sjboulden
    sjboulden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bowflex has an app with a bunch of different exercises. You don't need to use weights if it isn't comfortable, but that's what I'm doing now. It's a 6 week program.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't count out push ups just yet. I struggled with doing 5 properly. Gave it a go, several times a day last fall. Doing 100+/day on average banging out 35 at a time, now. Takes time and a little voice in the head getting you to push out just two more. I literally used commercial breaks as my workout time to start. During athletic events, I would do planks during timeouts.
  • mrsjowen1
    Options
    The other issue with push ups is that because of poor upper body strength I cant do them properly. I will start trying to do a couple a day and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    Options
    You can do wall push ups. That is what I do as I don't jave a lot of upper body strength either right now.
  • CampLondon
    CampLondon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Pop Pilates for Beginners
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hire a trainer. I'd also recommend some of the Y classes like Body Pump. You can also google full body workouts for beginners and find some stuff.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great program for beginners

Strong lifts is a great program for beginners if they have someone to help them with form. If you're truly a beginner I wouldn't do any sort of lifting without the assistance of a trainer.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love the 7 minute workout app. It's challenging (im a beginner that hates working out) but not so much that you get frustrated and are hurting so much that you dont want to continue on a regular basis.
    I hate being so sore that I can't sit or walk and this made me just sore enough that I knew I had done something.
    Once you get comfortable/stronger you can do it 2 times, then 3 times etc for a longer workout. Right now I try for once every other day. And a couple times I've already done it 2 times back to back.
    It might not be much but most importantly its teaching me that I'm capable of this huge thing called "working out"! That's huge!
    Also, no equipment required other than a chair.