Very simple abs exercises?

Options
Can anyone share some abs exercises for a very unfit beginner? Even when I was younger I couldn't do the traditional ones. Thanks!

Replies

• Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Planks! Google good plank form to be sure you do them right. They work tons of muscles including abs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you don't knowhow to engage your abdominals and obliques, it may help to start with a stomach vacuum exercise. It makes you aware of the muscles in your abdomen. There are a number of different links and variations. Here is one.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

Cheers, h.
  • catinamess
    catinamess Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Will try both!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Planks, captains chair knee raises, regular crunches, different variations of lying leg raises. I also agree with learning how to engage you're core. Otherwise your hip flexors will be doing most of the work. Also, are you working out your core exclusively and if so yes, then why?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @catinamess if you are up for it - a belly dancing class is fun and really teaches you about your core, strengthens your core, and is excellent for balance and posture too.
    It would be a fun way to get a stronger core initially, then move on to a good strength training routine.

A class is more fun than doing it at home, and never worry about being uncoordinated. I have been doing it off and on for 5 years and still don't know my left from my right.

Cheers, h.

Yoga is good too but not half as much fun.
  • catinamess
    Options
    @jessef593 Thanks will check those out. I am trying to work on my core more as my back is often in pain, and most of my extra weight is around my tummy. Even when I was skinny my tummy was never flat!

@middlehaitch I'd never thought of belly dancing! Haven't seen any advertised, so might start at home while I keep my eyes out for a class.

• catinamess
    Options
    @middlehaitch and your comment about left and right made me laugh, as I'm finally learning how to drive and every time the instructor tells me to turn left or right I have to really concentrate to go the right way!!