Calorie counts on MFP

Options
tlbays
tlbays Posts: 20 Member
As I was charting all my exercise for the day, the calorie count seems a bit high. How reliable is the calorie count on MFP for exercise? I only did about 7 mins of general dancing, about 60 mins walking, 2 minutes of sit ups, and about 2 minutes of push ups. It clocked in at about 525 calories, given that my weight is at 254.

Also, if it is reliable that puts my calories at a 725 deficit even after consuming 1900 calories today. Should I really eat more or not be as concerned about it?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It takes more calories to run larger bodies. That means that exercise can burn more calories and a 725 calorie deficit can still leave you with a largish calorie goal.

MFP exercise calories tend to be high. Many add back 25-75% of those calories rather than the whole amount.

As for your calorie deficit, you can try it for a month or two and see how you feel and how much weight you lose. That will give you some data to make adjustments later if desired. Eating the most you can while still losing weight is a good goal to have. ;)
  • tlbays
    tlbays Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was just concerned that I would be overeating if I decided to get a snack before bed. Even on that, I'm not sure if eating before bed is a good idea but I'm just thinking of a banana or a few carrots.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter when you eat. If you like a late snack, save some calories for that.
  • Garlicmushroom
    Garlicmushroom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally I found mfps counts was wrong for me to the point I bought a chest band HRM to find out my really calorie usage 3or4 years ago.
    I found I was using up more than mfp was telling and it explained why I was still losing 3lbs regularly though it looked like I was eating way to much.
    I found some walks I did was twice the usage of what mfp was giving me. This is because I am walking up and down hill and often pushing a child in a pushchair and mfps walking counts are taking from testing people walking on a flat surface.
    If you like to eat back you calories and concerned you may be taking in to much and that the exercise usages are wrong I would strongly suggest getting an HRM of some kind. I got a cheap one under £20 as there's no way I can justify or even afford to spend large amounts on somthing just to tell me my caloies usged. Of cause it isn't practical for every exercise as the chest strap can become uncomfortable if worn for most the day.
  • Garlicmushroom
    Garlicmushroom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The best way to check if you're over eating is to add up the weeks food eaten and deduct the exercise calories. You will then see you true calorie intake for the week. That's why eating them back works cause they have already been used. There's no need to go hungry what so ever.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As others stated the MFP calories burned are an average for the exercise and intensity level that you choose. It doesn't account for your heart rate level or walking up hills. The most accurate method is to use a heart rate chest strap. The next option would be wrist HR monitor such as the Fitbit Charge HR, Fitbit Blaze or Fitbit Surge. With any of the heart rate monitors you setup a user profile (age, height, weight, gender) and you uses that data along with your heart to get the calorie burn for an exercise or activity.
  • rsylvstr
    rsylvstr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't enter exercise. Just food intake. The deficit helps me lose weight much faster