Should this count as a workout?

Options
I noticed some people logging everyday things like work and walking in their exercises. What are your opinions on that? I feel like working definitely burns calories, but should I count it on here or leave it off and then I won't have extra food calories for my day? Resulting in eating more

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. If you were overweight being a waitress then clearly it wasn't enough exercise to make a difference. I estimate my own calories, I don't like MFP do it for me, but my exercise level is taken into account in my calorie goal so I don't eat back any of my calories burnt. I'll log it as 1 calorie so it's documented by not counted.
  • Garlicmushroom
    Garlicmushroom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can only add it as exercise if it's not an everyday activity. That's why there's different setting for activity. If the person want to add work as an exercise then they have to have it set on the non active which then gives the lowest calories that can be eaten.
    If they've set it as active or very active they should be adding anything that's a normal day because it has already been acounted for and a higher calorie amount to eat has been given because of this.
    They either have their diary set on the lowest setting for activity or they don't understand how the diary setting work and have been logging wrongly from the start.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    rhsdancer5 wrote: »
    I feel like working definitely burns calories.

Just being alive burns calories! Work is part of your activity setting.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    This is what MFP suggests as activity levels:

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

I am sedentary.

But when I walk, I count it as exercise. So if I go out for a 5 km walk at lunch ... that's exercise.

And I will eat some of those exercise calories back. :)

I have successfully lost 25 kg by doing that ... I'm back down to the lower half of my normal BMI range, a weight I haven't seen in a decade. And I've maintained that for 6 months so far. It's working for me.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I log my walks but they are my only exercise. I take 1-2 hour walks a day. On purpose. I burn up to 400 cals per walk so it is a lot not to log.