Let's Talk Triglycerides..

Options
I've been eating very well for five weeks. Lean proteins, greens, limited fat intake, no saturated fats, fibrous whole grains...etc. And today, I get news back from my Dr. that my triglycerides are slightly high. LDL and HDL are totally in check, but the TriGs are high? I don't get it. I need more Omega 3 I guess, but I eat Flax Plus granola regularly, which should help. In addition, my Vitamin D is low (bring on the sun) and my B12 is on the low end of normal. I hate supplements. I feel like you should be able to get what you need from well balanced nutrition. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with what I assume is some kind of genetic predisposition to holding on to my fats. (and my fat, i guess )

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Do you eat alot of fruit?

One of the types of sugar in fruit is fructose. When ingested, fructose goes directly to your liver which can only hold a finite amount, approximately 100grams. Excess fructose is then converted to triglycerides.

That's just the nature of fructose.
  • ceeceew
    ceeceew Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you eat alot of fruit?

One of the types of sugar in fruit is fructose. When ingested, fructose goes directly to your liver which can only hold a finite amount, approximately 100grams. Excess fructose is then converted to triglycerides.

That's just the nature of fructose.

Ooh.. that's good to know.. But I gotta eat something.. you know?
  • ceeceew
    ceeceew Posts: 21
    Options

Yeah, I read it already... I do eat fruits and veggies, I don't drink much at all, I eat only lean meats.... that's why I called my Dr. Cause this is all odd.