How to stay moving in the office?

Options
I drive an hour to work, I sit for 8 hours, and drive an hour home. I go to the gym during lunch- and after work, but I feel like with the amount of work i do at the gym, is the amount of work people do "normally" during the day....so i guess I'm just kind of confused how that would lead to weight loss. Does anyone have any tricks to stay moving during the day while at the desk?

Replies

• JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but I am so glad to see this post and look forward to hearing from everyone! I was just thinking about this today!

One idea that I was thinking of, but I don't know how useful it would be... replacing my office chair with one of those exercise balls, to force me to use my core to stabilize as I'm sitting? I dunno if tthat is worthwhile or not... I'm going to google it and see if anyone has tgried it.
  • viclspence
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, that is my day, minus the gym, mainly because I only get 30 minutes lunch and can't afford to go to the gym! If I have to leave the office to go to another office I walk round as much as I can without getting told off for being away from my desk for too long. Some suggestions would be great!
  • losing55
    losing55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well while Im at work, if I don't have patients, I am usually sitting down. So when that happens, I take a walk outside or either up and down the halls. In a shift I may do this 10-15 times a day, walking approximately two miles. So that's a way I try to burn calories.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    I read an article once that talked about how to stay active while having a desk job. I only remember one thing about it. It said that when you are on the phone, stand. You burn more calories standing than sitting. Another thing I read at some point is you burn more calories if you sit up straight instead of slouching. I know this probably isn't much help, but these are things I've read.

Good luck.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I work in a pretty big building so once in the morning and once in the afternoon I do a "lap" around the building. It's about .5 miles each time so when I leave work I've already walked a mile (plus another .5 mile in and out).

I drink a lot of water which means walking to the restroom.:blushing: I walk to talk to people instead of calling.
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week but I have also been sitting on a stability ball since March this year and it has done wonders for my core. I'll sneak in a few crunches here and there too. It's great! I'll never sit on a regular chair at work again. I've read you can burn 350 cal a day sitting on one of these. Win win!! :)

I also go for a walk mid work day. After 4 hours I go for a walk.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but I am so glad to see this post and look forward to hearing from everyone! I was just thinking about this today!

One idea that I was thinking of, but I don't know how useful it would be... replacing my office chair with one of those exercise balls, to force me to use my core to stabilize as I'm sitting? I dunno if tthat is worthwhile or not... I'm going to google it and see if anyone has tgried it.

They have office chairs that are exercise balls. Do a search and you'll find lots of links.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I too have a sedentary job. I take the stairs and use the bathroom one floor down, and do light workouts (desk push-ups, resistance bands, squats, some of the movements from the 15 min Zumba ab DVD, etc.) in my office during my breaks.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs sometimes, go for files or copies or the fax machine. I do some leg exercises under my desk when I can too.

Just do what you can to adapt. Maybe park farther away to add a bit more walking before and after work?

Best of luck!
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Where I work, we get two 20 minute breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, I throw on my tennis shoes and go for a brisk walk. Our building also has a fitness room (its not the greatest) to where we can use that equipment. We also have a tunnel that connects two buidlings, that we walk in when its cold outside. Getting out helps break up the day too!! :happy:

I am sure if you Google, "working out while at work" , you would find some suggestions! Good luck!
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    Have you heard of a treadmill desks? It's a desk that fits over a treadmill and you set it so you are only walking 1-2 mph so you burn calories as you go. I saw a couple of news articles about it, where people lost like 50 lbs in a year just by using it. One of the brands is trekdesk, but I think there are others. But it's pricy, like $500. But you might be able to get your boss to pay for it, because it would reduce health insurance/healthcare costs.....I saw that on some news article, but I don't remember where.

Here's an article: http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/6140615-423/treadmill-desks-help-you-get-fit-get-the-job-done.html

Edited to add another article: http://blogs.itbusiness.ca/2011/01/burn-calories-at-work-with-a-treadmill-desk/
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I sit in an office all day too...but I found out if I open up these 2 doors in our hallway, I can walk in circles all day long!
  • cori314
    cori314 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I know this is probably a good idea for us office staff folks. But all I could think of when I read this is the episode ofThe Office when Dwight Shrute is sitting on one and Jim Halpert pops it with a pair of scissors!!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    during your drive; turn some music on and dance around, gets ur heart pumping and body moving. every office is different; rules and such.. at my work i get to take breaks when i want; i get up every 15 minutes-ish; can also flex stomach muscles, tap your feet, turn on music and bob your head, etc etc etc. when u go on breaks you can jog in place, do lunges, etc in the bathroom.
  • kw2s
    kw2s Posts: 16
    Options
    Bump
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Drinking 8+ glasses of water will usually get you moving. 4 water-bottle fill-ups in the lunchroom and 4 bathroom breaks, lol!
  • triciap79
    triciap79 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was actually just googling this before I read this post.

I found a site that talks about "Staying Fit When You're Trapped Behind a Desk" I'm going to try some of these and see how it goes. I also try to walk for 2 15min breaks a day and 30mins on my lunch.

Here are some examples they have...

Stomach and Waist:
    While sitting or standing, put your left hand on your right shoulder and slowly twist your torso from right to left. Repeat the motion with your right hand on your left shoulder.

Tighten your abdominal muscles and hold for 10 to 15 seconds. Repeat five times.

Hips and Buttocks:
    Stand in front of a chair and squat over the seat as if you’re going to sit. Repeat five times.

Tighten and squeeze your buttocks, hold five to ten seconds, and release. Repeat six to eight times. Concentrate on the squeeze for best results

Legs:
    While seated, lift one knee and extend it forward without locking your knee and keep your toes curled. Hold this position for 20 seconds and then switch legs.

While sitting at your desk lift one leg, flexing your foot and then extend your leg in front of you. After a few seconds, bring the leg back toward you and set it down. Repeat the exercise with each leg five times.

Hope this helps.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I found a site the other day that has some suggestions for office workers.
    Hope this helps:
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I sit at the front desk at work.. very sedentary and boring.. I drink my coffee and then a lot of water so I literally pee like 10 times in the 5 hours I'm there.. so lots of walking to the bathroom.

I take lots of walks to the kitchen, the supply closet....
    can you walk down and up the stairs?

Also, I listen to music at my desk and am always moving my legs and feet and "dancing" under my desk.. just constantly moving and fidgeting.

Just try to take as many walks as you can and be moving a lot. Unfortunately, I'm at the front desk so I can't be doing exercises and lunges but every little bit helps.