• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I find them a waste of calories.
  • elizabeth_fenny
    elizabeth_fenny Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Really,, ?
    I use them as a way of getting my protein & nutrients in easier.
    Very good prior to and during training.

gr3rw951ih89h.jpeg
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are pretty basic. I'm currently using Orgain Protein Almond milk and I add black berries, banana and almond butter. Cinnamon and cacao powder are awesome in smoothies! Fresh ground ginger is lovely too.
  • elizabeth_fenny
    Options
    Kib13 wrote: »
    My smoothies are pretty basic. I'm currently using Orgain Protein Almond milk and I add black berries, banana and almond butter. Cinnamon and cacao powder are awesome in smoothies! Fresh ground ginger is lovely too.

I keep meaning to put fresh ginger in,, Ill get some
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Milk, banana, strawberries
    Milk, banana, blueberries
    Milk, banana, lime
    Milk, banana, peanut butter, cocoa
    Milk, banana, hazelnut butter, cocoa
    Milk, banana, mint leaves
  • caplanlc
    caplanlc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This morning I did 1 c kale, 1/2 banana, cucumbers, 1/4 c frozen blackberries, almond milk, 1 tbsp almond butter.
  • CoffeeOnMyMind
    CoffeeOnMyMind Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like them for breakfast or an after work snack. I use chocolate protein powder, cashew milk, spinach, frozen blueberries, sometime some matcha powder too. Delicious and under 200 calories.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had strawberries, raspberries, spinach and cacao powder with some water (should have added a banana but forgot it)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way to closely monitor what goes into my smoothies. Smoothie abuse is what led me to this website - LOL. Calories can add up REALLY quickly. I use bananas very sparingly...usually some COMBINATION of this list: kale or spinach, a bit of a "good" fat (coconut oil or avocado or almond butter), seeds w/ protein (hemp or chia), some rolled oats, cacao powder, acai powder, 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk mixed with water, and 1/2c. of a frozen (makes it nice and cold) fruit - I like dark cherries at the moment. For an extra treat sometimes a splash of shredded coconut. Also like to use spices: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg...
  • elizabeth_fenny
    Options
    I learned the hard way to closely monitor what goes into my smoothies. Smoothie abuse is what led me to this website - LOL. Calories can add up REALLY quickly. I use bananas very sparingly...usually some COMBINATION of this list: kale or spinach, a bit of a "good" fat (coconut oil or avocado or almond butter), seeds w/ protein (hemp or chia), some rolled oats, cacao powder, acai powder, 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk mixed with water, and 1/2c. of a frozen (makes it nice and cold) fruit - I like dark cherries at the moment. For an extra treat sometimes a splash of shredded coconut. Also like to use spices: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg...

This is really helpful,, thank you !!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup plain greek yogurt for protein
    8 oz coconut water for potassium
    1 cup chopped spinach or kale or other greens
    1T almond butter - fat
    3/4 to 1 cup frozen fruit, depends on calories (unless it is banana, then just 1/2)
    I might add 1T chia if I'm needing more fiber.
    Sometimes vitamin powder.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt (11%) - I weigh this. No more than 1 serving.
    Water
    1 scoop protein
    Handful of spinach
    Frozen strawberries (weigh these too)

Comes to just over 500 calories if I have coffee too, but I can go 5-6 hours before eating again. Longer if I add almond butter (bumps it up to 750 calories)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mostly prefer to eat vs. drink, but I had a need for a super fast breakfast not long ago and did something like half a pear, kiwi, cucumber, coconut milk (in a box, not the high cal stuff), vanilla protein powder, and spinach, and it was a beautiful green and delicious and not too many calories (about the same as my standard breakfast -- maybe 350).

My normal breakfast keeps me happy from 6 am to 12-1 when I eat lunch, and the smoothie was no better, no worse, but I normally find it easier to eat more vegetables and non-protein-powder protein with my regular breakfast and plus I just enjoy sitting and eating, so I doubt I'll switch on any kind of regular basis, but it was a tasty thing to have an as occasional option.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    • kale
    • red chard
    • cucumber
    • pear
    • carrots
    • vanilla ON protein powder
    • almond milk
    • coffee
    • ice

It's my favorite meal of the day.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I go through smoothie phases and have been getting the itch to start drinking them again, actually just pre-logged one for tomorrow (first one in about six months).

I use them as a meal (usually supper). My go to recipe is spinach, kale, vanilla flavored yogurt, a banana and then either strawberries or blueberries (I get frozen ones from Dollar Tree). If I have ground flax seed I'll throw that in too.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Great point-it's easy to forget that smoothies can be a huge calorie bomb :p The one I'm having tomorrow is around 300 calories and I'll be using it as my lunch (I'm having dental work done in the morning so I'm not going to be able to really eat food for most of the day, yippee).
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I only drink smoothies before an early morning workout about 4 days a week. I can't actually eat at 4:00 am but I can drink a protein shake and it gives me the calories and potassium I need to get through the workout.

Mine consists of Nutribiotic organic rice protein, ground flax seed, frozen blueberries, coconut water, fresh baby spinach and 2% plain greek yogurt. It's about 250 calories and just enough to sustain me until my "real" breakfast!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with 1c plain greek yogurt, 1 banana, few frozen berries and 1T of chia seeds and water to the consistency you like. Keeps me full for about 4 hours.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of strawberries
    1 cup of blueberries
    1 tbsp of honey
    Cinnamon
    Ginger
    Greek Yogurt
    A few ice cubes

Usually have this post-workout, but not daily.