Does anyone use an excersise ball as a chair at work ?

Options
Has anyone done this, or even bought the chairs that ARE excercise balls? Which works well? What do you think about them?

Replies

• xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    Curious about this as well...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    There are ones that are more expensive like $100-$150 that sit in a rack of 4 wheels to prevent you from falling over.

Most office desks are pretty high that you would need a very large ball plus the health and safety hazard is not cool, you should check with your committeee first especially if you are in the US and don’t have free health care; there could be some fine print there that if you do something 'not office appropriate’ damages caused to yourself, others or property could be on you.

You are better off getting an under the desk bike, it's just pedals and no chance of falling.

Here's what the stable ball-chairs look like: http://www.isokineticsinc.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/AdjChair500.jpg
    and here are the desk pedals http://www.plazanimal.cl/v/images/stories/2011/under-desk-pedal.gif
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    I use one at home now at my computer desk. It does improve posture.
  • nrov5974
    nrov5974 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    a couple girls in a different dept use these at my work... they are great for your core and posture... they dont sit on them all day.. hour or so at a time.... make sure you get the right size..... good luck!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I just got one and love it!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine! I bought the weighted Reebok ball, size medium ( I am 5'4") at Target for about 25$.

I get a lot of questions about it (from co-workers) and I have a hard time sitting in a regular chair anymore. I have had it for about 3 months and I would not go back!! I do have an adjustable height keyboard rest which makes it best for ergonomics! The amount I sit varies in a day from about 6 hours to less than 45 minutes, just depends on the tasks of the day.

I have no issues from the Safety committee since it is weighted and won't roll around the room.
  • arnewma
    arnewma Posts: 3
    Options
    I use one in my room at my desk. I have been using it for about four days now and I can tell that my posture is better. My lower back and abs also feel like they have tightened but it does take some time getting used to it. I am still getting used to it! give it a try!
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but found that a ball short enough for my legs so feet would touch the floor was not tall enough for my desk. With an office chair I put my feet on the legs of the chair or a foot stool. But it seemed like using a foot stool with the ball kind of defeats the purpose. Also very hard to control when I wasn't sitting - the ball tried to roll around. A co-worker solved that - she lets her students (we're teachers) sit on balls. They put sand in before inflating so the ball stays put when they're not sitting on it.

Have another friend who only uses it at home. She has gotten to where she can balance on it for an hour an hour at a time while on the phone, doing desk work, etc. Her feet do not touch the floor at all. When I tried that I lost the blood in my feet and they fell "asleep" all the time.

I just went back to a regular office chair, with my foot stool.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to use my exercise ball at work. I would definitely get one with the wheel base that ball sits in. The inability to roll to to my printer was the biggest downfall. I want to take it back to work, but due to space constraints I cant. (office is much smaller). It is nice to have a regular desk chair handy as well. I know there were some days I needed my office chair instead.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    hubby uses one at work, and he loves it.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options

I want to get this! Thanks!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    There are ones that are more expensive like $100-$150 that sit in a rack of 4 wheels to prevent you from falling over.

Most office desks are pretty high that you would need a very large ball plus the health and safety hazard is not cool, you should check with your committeee first especially if you are in the US and don’t have free health care; there could be some fine print there that if you do something 'not office appropriate’ damages caused to yourself, others or property could be on you.

You are better off getting an under the desk bike, it's just pedals and no chance of falling.

Here's what the stable ball-chairs look like: AdjChair500.jpg
    and here are the desk pedals under-desk-pedal.gif
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been sitting on a balance disc at work for about 6 months now. I don't think it's doing anything. I even made a round pillow case to hide it in. I can't vouch for it helping to strengthen core muscles by just sitting on it for 9 hours (which I also heard it did, that's the reason i got it). But I still sit on it. Might as well, I guess it doesn't hurt anything. But, I'd love to hear someone else who does this and thinks it's making a difference. Maybe I need to put or take out some air.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of an episode of The Office lol Dwight was on a exercise ball and being mouthy with Jim. Jim walks over as Dwight is bouncing on the ball and stabbed it with scissors. It was great. lol