General fitness tracker or hr monitor

Options
sarahj1150
sarahj1150 Posts: 14 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I currently have a zip which I've used for over 2 yesrs. I've started the c25k and would like to monitor my heart rate. I don't get on with a chest strap whilst using the treadmill. Would you recommend a hr wrist band or a running watch only to use when running. If I was to go down the running watch route would I just take off the zip when running and then only wear the running watch. Would mfp sync all his ok? Thanks

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    A chest strap will be the most accurate (and dependable). If you have a smart phone, you can get just the strap and use the phone to track your HR.

I have to ask why you want to monitor your HR? If you are planning to do some serious racing, then HR monitoring can be helpful with your training plans. Since you are doing C25K, I have to assume you are just starting out??? If so, the best advice I can give is save your money for now. Judge your efforts how well you can talk/sing while running. If you can't do either, you are going too fast.
  • sarahj1150
    Options
    Thank you dewd2. Didn't know if it would help with monitoring progress and pushing myself by the right amount
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Using a HR monitor is very useful when starting running because it can keep you from pushing too hard.
  • sarahj1150
    Options
    Thank you cowenlaw1 I'll have to work out what's going to be best. To stay with the zip or upgrade.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't run without an HRM. That's just me, but running is a lot of exertion and I personally feel like it would be wasted if I couldn't get a better handle on things like how far and fast I ran, and how my body reacted to it. Most people aren't so neurotic as me about this. :smile:

HR can be a valuable pacing tool. It takes a little while to figure it out, but it'll become obvious. You can pace yourself without knowing your HR, but another tool is great if you'll use it.

I use a Garmin watch that looks good enough for a date night or a work meeting. It has a fitness tracker, so I wear it all the time, run with it, bike with it, swim and hike with it, etc. Works very well for my purposes.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR. Heartrate is in the unit. I know it's probably not as accurate as the chest strap, but it does help a lot. I don't sweat much so getting my heart rate up is important, but to keep it at safe level it important to me as well. I had heart surgery at 38 to cover a really large hole in the atrium, so now I literally have a patch. If I start having trouble breathing I can guarantee my HR is too high. It's a balancing act, but I have no medical restrictions on activity just my own caution. By the way I 59 now so the outcome was obviously good. Anyway I like the HR on the band and it does keep track of my resting heart rate and track the active.

My husband probably has the same Garmin at NorthCascades. He bought it without the HR monitor, but I think he's going to exchange it for the one with. He loves his Garmin watch.
  • sarahj1150
    Options
    Thank you NorthCascades and campbell3913 for your comments. I think I will get myself a fitness tracker with hr. Thankyou all for your advise
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    My husband probably has the same Garmin at NorthCascades. He bought it without the HR monitor, but I think he's going to exchange it for the one with. He loves his Garmin watch.

FYI, I did that, and it was (for me) a mistake. I still use a chest strap for bike rides and runs, when I care what my HR was. The wrist HR sensor just doesn't work very well for me at all. Example: it says my resting heart rate was 55 bpm this morning but my HR was 31 bpm when I went for a brisk walk for coffee. It will get it right for a while and then sort of get lost, then come back. I hope it's a software thing and Garmin will improve it with time, but, for now, there's no reason. And the HR sensor sticks out of the back of the watch a little, it doesn't sit flat like the non-HR watch, it's not quite as comfortable. That would be a fine trade-off if the HR worked reliably but it doesn't. :(

(I'm talking about the Fenix 3 HR to be clear.)
  • sarahj1150
    Options
    Ok NorthCascades thank you for that. I do have a chest strap for the treadmill but it doesn't seem to pick up my hr but does my husbands! Thanks for your advise