Breakfast

Options
How important to weight loss is eating breakfast and WHY?
When is breakfast? When you wake or is it just your first meal?

any input would help and thank you

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its important because it starts your metabolism in the morning. They explained it last not on exteme makeover weight loss but I cant remember exactly what he said, something about if you dont eat your body store fat from not eating.
  • Emismom77
    Emismom77 Posts: 56
    Options
    Well, for me, breakfast is important b/c it gets my metabolism going... I usually eat a packet of instant oatmeal or something light like that. Your body has to know you're not starving it... if you skip breakfast ( like i used to do) then your body holds onto all the calories it can. This sounds crazy, but eat breakfast, then eat a snack (like fruit), then lunch, then another snack (more fruit or something along those lines), then dinner... once your metabolism starts kicking up you'll burn MORE calories & start to be hungry all the time.

For the 2nd question, I usually wake up & get ready for work around 5:30am & I don't eat until around 8:15, but I'll drink a cold bottle of water 1st thing in the morning.
  • jfox
    jfox Posts: 11
    Options
    Its very important. Having it pretty soon after you wake up to kick start your metabolism and give you energy throughout the day. Depending on how many hours you sleep a night, think of the last time you ate, usually a couple hours before bed, then sleep (on avg) 6 hours... your body goes 8+ hours without food... you need something when you get up... I wouldn't miss it. If your not a breakfast eater start with something small but good... like yogurt and fruit? something:) Hope that helps!
  • BoyShorts
    BoyShorts Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!

It's important to eat breakfast because you need to "kick-start" your metabolism. You haven't eaten anything during your sleep and if you skip breakfast, your metabolism is very, very slow. Ever notice that after you eat a good breakfast, you're typically hungry within a couple of hours? That's good! That is telling you your furnace is burning...THAT is what you need to maximize your weight loss! best of luck!
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    Breakfast is absolutely critical! I don't have hard numbers, but I've been told you should have it within 2 hours of waking. Why? Because it jump starts your metabolism and gets your body used to the idea of burning calories throughout the day. When I can work out in the mornings, I'll typically drink water while I walk/run (eating before I work out makes me sick) and then eat some whole wheat toast and egg whites (complex carbs and protein) when I get back from my workout. It doesn't have to be a huge breakfast, but something to get your metabolism going will help burn whatever you take in for the rest of the day.
  • vicky_unni
    vicky_unni Posts: 24
    Options
    They say that it is important to eat 30 minutes from the time you wake up. It is in that time that your body is really burning fat and if you don't it causes it to store fat rather than burn it.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Personally... if I don't eat breakfast I am totally famished by 10am and end up snacking on something unhealthy and throwing my calories for a loop. In all, it sabotages my entire day. I wake up (weekdays) around 5:30am and eat between 200-300 calories, have a healthy snack about 10 am and then lunch at noon. When I don't do this, I over eat at lunch or make poor choices. I am sure there is science involved, like increasing my metabolism. I call it sanity - if I don't eat I get irritable, make poor food choices and fall off the wagon. When I eat breakfast the chance of this happening is reduced by a good 80% IMO.
  • katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i always get by confused by this too...i'm a night person so normally sleep until about 12, so is breakfast what i eat when i wake up? or is that lunch?? bear in mind i'm up late at night so my dinners often not until about 8... would love to know the answer to this!
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Yes, breakfast is what you eat after you wake up....break (the) fast. Whether that's 5am or noon doesn't really matter. I'm usually up at 4:30a and will try to grab a small snack to eat before my gym time (turning the metabolism on and feeding the workout), but my real breakfast hits my belly about 7:30-8a. :)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Not sure how important it is to weight loss, all I know is that I must have it everyday! Breakfast for me is around 9:00am and diner comes around 9pm, this is my last meal for the day