Bread and Carbohydrates

Options
TylerWhiite
TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
Hey everyone, so I've been going low carb for about 3 months. I've cut out bread completely but get around 25-35 carbs per day from vegetables and others sources. Is it bad if I incorporate bread back into my diet? I try to find a healthy whole wheat type of bread, but not sure what is the best. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with bread and you could certainly add it back in to your diet.

As you know the best kind is one you enjoy but that being said personally, I do look for a whole grain variety with good fiber content.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4.9 bread (in frozen food section)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason (diabetic, pre-diabetic, PCOS, etc) to not eat carbs, it is simply a choice you made as to how to establish a calorie deficit. If you can maintain the calorie deficit while incorporating bread, feel free to add it back into your diet. Realize that since you have been limiting carbs your muscles will replenish you glycogen stores which requires water meaning a potential weight gain short term, but it is all water, not fat.
  • coopergc
    coopergc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You can definitely add bread back in! As an RD, I usually tell my clients to look for packages with the yellow whole grain stamp. The higher the number in the stamp the better. 100% whole grain/whole wheat the the best but if comparing two that have something less than that, choose the higher one. Also, beware that color is not indicative of the product being whole grain. Some breads have added colors to give that impression. 100% wheat and multigrain are also tricky marketing terms that don't necessarily mean they are good products. Read your ingredients list and the first word should always say "whole"! Hope this helps and good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tw807278 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, so I've been going low carb for about 3 months. I've cut out bread completely but get around 25-35 carbs per day from vegetables and others sources. Is it bad if I incorporate bread back into my diet? I try to find a healthy whole wheat type of bread, but not sure what is the best. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

There is nothing wrong with bread or carbohydrates in general. Most of the world has subsided on carbohydrates since the beginning of time. It's just currently trendy to demonize carbohydrates.

Going low carb is fine, but it is hardly necessary to lose weight. Low carb is just one of many ways of managing calories and calories are ultimately what is most important for whatever your weight management objectives are.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I will definitely find a healthy source for whole wheat bread and continue my deficit. Thanks!
  • jaccide
    jaccide Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could defiantly put bread back into your diet. However, what I didn't see anyone post about is relapses. Me, personally, I cut out breads and pastas, but I find when I add them back into my diet the sugars in them make me crave EVERYthing, and I relapse and binge eat. So I made it a point to not add them at all and just say no indefinately. This may not be the case for you, but I wanted to put it out there. The more organic / grain bread you can go with the least amount of sugar would be my opinion to go with!!! Good luck to you! :)
  • emamiz
    emamiz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'd most likely drop out of ketosis if you added bread. 35g of carbs from fruits and vegetables is perfect!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    jaccide wrote: »
    You could defiantly put bread back into your diet. However, what I didn't see anyone post about is relapses. Me, personally, I cut out breads and pastas, but I find when I add them back into my diet the sugars in them make me crave EVERYthing, and I relapse and binge eat. So I made it a point to not add them at all and just say no indefinately. This may not be the case for you, but I wanted to put it out there. The more organic / grain bread you can go with the least amount of sugar would be my opinion to go with!!! Good luck to you! :)

It's nothing to do with the sugar, it's to do with you restricting something you really like and then when you have them again you remember that you really like them and then find yourself making up for lost time. Stop unnecessary restrictions. You can say no 'indefinitely' to them as much as you want, but more than likely you will end up having what you want again at some point.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    emamiz wrote: »
    You'd most likely drop out of ketosis if you added bread. 35g of carbs from fruits and vegetables is perfect!

They never said anything about ketosis.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not matter that much which kind of bread that you choose. They are all pretty close nutritionally. Choose the bread that you like. :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    emamiz wrote: »

So? Ketosis isn't necessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is.