Options
    How are you measuring body fat?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    How are you measuring body fat?

This. Most simple "body fat" measuring tools are wildly inaccurate.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that does it
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    BBC1986 wrote: »

No, it doesn't. Seriously - those things literally don't work.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    You put in your height and sex it shows water weight, body fat, ect.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

No, it doesn't. Seriously - those things literally don't work.

Really? I was told its very accurate...I hope its not, I feel like I'm working towards nothing
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You were either lied to, or the person telling you that didn't know what (s)he was talking about.

Here - try this, to convince yourself. Weigh yourself and take note of the body fat. Drink a glass of water. Reweigh yourself. Your BF% will probably change. Granted, this doesn't work every single time, so you may need to try it a few times.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Some can be reasonable (i.e. give you a trend over an extended period of time), some can be laughable, all are badly affected by variations in hydration levels.

I've got some that tell me I'm 30% or more.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    I think I should just stick with the normal scale then...thank all of y'all :D
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yup according to mine I am 30% bf too. I'm not ripped or anything but I am definitely not 30%
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yup according to mine I am 30% bf too. I'm not ripped or anything but I am definitely not 30%

31.5% here, according to the scale. I'm tempted to switch it to "athlete" mode to see what it gives me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Track measurements using a tape measure at various points and keep progress photos perhaps.
    There's likely going to be times when the weight on your bathroom scale doesn't tell the whole story.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Track measurements using a tape measure at various points and keep progress photos perhaps.
    There's likely going to be times when the weight on your bathroom scale doesn't tell the whole story.

Thanks! I will do that for sure
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You could be losing MUSCLE. That would account for why the % of body fat is increased. EAT A LOT OF PROTEIN- this helps keep muscle and tell the body to burn fat instead. Also, start a weightlifting program asap.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Most of those scales are using a pre-determined formula, not actually doing anything to measure your body fat.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    You could be losing MUSCLE. That would account for why the % of body fat is increased. EAT A LOT OF PROTEIN- this helps keep muscle and tell the body to burn fat instead. Also, start a weightlifting program asap.

I kind of thought that..i eat enough protein I'm sure, It's not possible for me to get into the gym at the moment...my hubby has a barbell( i think thats what its called) maybe i can start lifting..
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @bbc1986 OMG- I looked at your diary- YOU ARE STARVING YOURSELF! THIS IS NOT HEALTHY. Of course you are losing muscle and gaining % body fat. Your poor body is CANIBALIZING its own lean muscle tissue in an effort to keep you alive!

FROM YOUR DIARY: Tuesday: 640 calories, Wednesday- 1040 calories, Thursday 835 calories, Friday 775 calories, Saturday **374** calories?????? And 3 of those days you also EXERCISED???? You are going to make yourself SERIOUSLY ILL or even KILL YOURSELF. "Losing weight" is not everything. If you don't care about your health, I'm sure that you want to LOOK GOOD??? If you keep this up, you are going to look AWFUL. Skeletons who can barely walk are NOT attractive.

• NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @bbc1986 Is the pic in your profile current? You look gorgeous & NOT overweight. What is your current weight/height?
  • WraithTDK
    WraithTDK Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They're basically BMI calculators. They try to sell you on bio-impedance, which actually CAN be accurate - if you go to a facility with multi-point sensors. Anything that claims to tell you your BF from standing on it or just holding little handles is a joke.

Here's a good (albeit long) article on it.

BIA can be problematic because it's a prediction based off of a prediction, so the error gets compounded. When you look at group averages for BIA measurements, there tends to be bias, with BIA often underpredicting how much fat you have. As with other techniques, the individual error rates can get high, with some research showing error rates of around 8-9%. In fact, BIA doesn't do much better than BMI at predicting body fat in some cases. When it comes to measuring change over time, BIA can often underpredict the amount of fat loss, and the estimated change can be off by up to 8%.

For all of these reasons, I am not a fan of BIA for measuring body composition in individuals. If you are going to use BIA for tracking body composition over time, I recommend very long time intervals between measurements (at least 3 months, but 6 months is probably better), as the error rate for BIA can be larger than the changes in body fat in you see. Whatever numbers you do get using BIA, always remember they are very rough predictions....and I emphasize very rough.

There are 3 good ways to measure body fat, depending on how far you're willing to go.

1. High price, highest accuracy: If you want to know for certain what your BF really is, and you're willing to seriously shell out (tests can be anywhere from $75-$200, but some people will get them once or twice a year), do a search for hydrostatic body fat testing in your area. A good place to look is any colleges in the area. If they have a high profile sport program, they'll often do hydrostatic testing for the public as a source of extra funding. They submerge you in water and determine based on water displacement and body mass. This is considered "the gold standard" and is far and away more accurate than anything else.

2. Moderate cost, high accuracy: Air Displacement Plethysmography technology (ADP). Search for "Bod Pod." This is based on a very similar process as hydrostatic, but uses air instead of water, and is much cheaper, often around $50.

3. As accurate as you're going to get without paying a per-measurement fee: The US Navy created a way of determining it based on measurements. While closer to BMI than the above tests, I've found it to be a lot more accurate than BMI or bio-impedance (or at least home bio-impedance). Particularly because unlike BMI or BIOI which goes on this ridiculously generic concept of "the average body," it takes into account actual body measurements, so if you're ripped but really muscular, it's not going to tell you you're morbidly obese.

I'm using the Navy calculator for my daily measurements until I get closer to my former training size of 8% BF, at which point I'll be doing Bod Pod every 4-6 months.