Metabolic Afterburner workout - scam or useful? Anyone own it?

Options
RredSonja
RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
I am looking to begin an excercise program for EXTREME beginners. If you have Metabolic Aftershock program I would love to hear your take on it.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what is it? is it a workout program, anything that gets you up and moving is a good thing. but you can also do that for free, there is no magic secret exercise, there are lots of free videos on youtube.
    or is it a supplement they want you to buy ? mass marketed fancy name hyped up supplements are generally scams.
    but anything that motivates you is a good thing.
  • RredSonja
    Options
    It's a workout program. I agree there is no magic bullet, and I can work out for free, and weight loss supplements are crap. But there are many different workouts, and I am exploring options. I am looking into Metabolic Afterburner. So if there's anyone out there that has bought it, I'd like to hear from them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    It's another HIIT program and all of them exaggerate EPOC. You don't need to buy it to see through the woo......
  • RredSonja
    Options
    HIIT? EPOC? This is why i don't like asking questions - it seems the people replying here have a problem reading.
    I am looking to begin an excercise program for EXTREME beginners. If you have Metabolic Aftershock program I would love to hear your take on it.

I am a total beginner. So, using you physical fitness acronyms and jargon isn't helpful.

You don't own the Metabolic Aftershock program, because you saw through the woo factor. Good for you. I asked for information from people who bought it, to discover if the program is woo or worth the 40 bucks, for a beginner.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    No idea about the program (although I suspect it is full of promises it can't keep), but since you are a complete beginner I suggest you get the book New Rules of Lifting for Women and read it cover to cover. I also suggest looking at all of the stickies here for more ideas.

• hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The metabolic aftershock or the afterburn is a real concept, but the calories you burn after said exercises (EPOC) are negligible. Purchasing a program might be good for a beginner, but dont base your decision on the aftershock gimmick, it's not worth it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    why don't you just buy the program and let us know how it works for you.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There are many reasons why people might select a fitness program or video. However, the main criteria should be: the program is tailored to your ability, you enjoy the movements, the type of exercise will help you make progress towards your goals, and, the program motivates you to work out.

Some of these criteria are objective, but mostly they are subjective. If you like it and it will motivate you, and it's not completely stupid or dangerous, then it's worth the money -- FOR YOU--even if it's "overpriced".

Metabolic Aftershock is the essence of fitness woo. It's a run of the mill, high-intensity circuit training vanity project. Programs like this are a dime a dozen (although they cost a lot more).

So, again, there are two questions: does MA contain some unique properties, some magic formula, deliver some exceptional metabolic response that other programs do not? The answer is NO. It does not. Physiologically it cannot do what it says it does anymore than any other of the hundreds of high-intensity circuit training vanity projects out there. So, if you are considering buying it solely because it has some unique qualities, then it is a waste of money.

Second: are the movements safe and effective, and does it look like something you would enjoy doing and that would motivate you to work out? If the answer is "yes", then it IS worth the cost. I like fitness gadgets, so I bought a $300 heart rate monitor. Do I need it? No. Does it have some secret scientific properties for my workouts? Nope, not that either. Has it motivated me to work harder, more efficiently, and more consistently? You betcha! So, for me, I've gotten every pennies worth out of it and then some, even though it would probably be an unnecessary purchase for many people (and it has it's own share of woo).

Just make sure you are honest with yourself. Ultimately, it's less than $50 so it probably doesn't make any difference, but I just like to see people make reasoned choices about these things.

Love this post!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh and because they didn't explain the other acronym...HIIT= High Intensity Interval Training. Same principle behind Orange Theory gyms. It's been proven to generate that afterburn effect though of course not as huge as MA exaggerates.
    Bottom line is exactly as Azdak says: does it look like fun for you, that you would enjoy it and keep doing it (without hurting yourself by doing unsafe movements)? Then by all means get it! But it's not unique. With many of these programs it can even boil down to whether you like the music or not!
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't have that program, but my gym offers classes like the orange theory, which promise the same afterburn. Personally, I haven't seen any such increase in my burns for the day, so I wouldn't buy a program just for that. Pick something you enjoy so you'll keep with it.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    HIIT would be something like doing things in intervals. For example. If you were at a track. You'd run the straightways full out. You'd walk the corners to recover. You'd probably be able to only start at maybe 4 all out runs... working up to 8 all out runs over time. It's a way to preserve muscle mass while burning fat. So HIIT or interval training is an all out effort followed by short periods of rest. It would be a shorter workout than say walking for 4 miles because your body simply can't do it for long. It's very effective. I would only do this type of workout 1 or 2 times a week.
  • Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Before you plunk down $ for an exercise program, a gym membership, or exercise equipment explore all of the free exercise routines on the Internet. The afterburn effect or orange theory isn't anything new, they've just repackaged it with a new name. The idea is that you will continue burning calories after working out at a faster rate than you would have if you didn't work out. In other words, your metabolism is working better. Exercise fads come and go, just include a mix of aerobic and strength training. What's important for you will be to find something you like and that you are capable of doing. For example, i can't dance, so I don't Zumba. I fractured my shoulder 4 years ago, so don't do burpees. A gym isn't for me because I don't want to spend the money and it doesn't work with my schedule. So I set up a small gym in my house. I do step aerobics. I found some great, free routines in You Tube. I have a set of dumb bells and resistance bands. I eventually bought an elliptical and I recently started running. If you are social and need the motivation of a group or instructor, a gym might be for you. Good luck!
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    HIIT? EPOC? This is why i don't like asking questions - it seems the people replying here have a problem reading.

I am a total beginner. So, using you physical fitness acronyms and jargon isn't helpful.

You don't own the Metabolic Aftershock program, because you saw through the woo factor. Good for you. I asked for information from people who bought it, to discover if the program is woo or worth the 40 bucks, for a beginner.

A Google search of either of those acronyms would of given you your answer within 5 seconds. Instead, you attacked someone that gave you a helpful answer.

EPOC relies on the muscles consuming energy post-workout. This number is small to begin with, but non-existent for people with low muscle mass (ie EXTREME beginners). You would get better results with a resistance training program.
  • RredSonja
    Options

A Google search of either of those acronyms would of given you your answer within 5 seconds. Instead, you attacked someone that gave you a helpful answer.

EPOC relies on the muscles consuming energy post-workout. This number is small to begin with, but non-existent for people with low muscle mass (ie EXTREME beginners). You would get better results with a resistance training program.

Wow! I attacked someone!?

• RredSonja
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There are many reasons why people might select a fitness program or video. However, the main criteria should be: the program is tailored to your ability, you enjoy the movements, the type of exercise will help you make progress towards your goals, and, the program motivates you to work out.

Some of these criteria are objective, but mostly they are subjective. If you like it and it will motivate you, and it's not completely stupid or dangerous, then it's worth the money -- FOR YOU--even if it's "overpriced".

Metabolic Aftershock is the essence of fitness woo. It's a run of the mill, high-intensity circuit training vanity project. Programs like this are a dime a dozen (although they cost a lot more).

So, again, there are two questions: does MA contain some unique properties, some magic formula, deliver some exceptional metabolic response that other programs do not? The answer is NO. It does not. Physiologically it cannot do what it says it does anymore than any other of the hundreds of high-intensity circuit training vanity projects out there. So, if you are considering buying it solely because it has some unique qualities, then it is a waste of money.

Second: are the movements safe and effective, and does it look like something you would enjoy doing and that would motivate you to work out? If the answer is "yes", then it IS worth the cost. I like fitness gadgets, so I bought a $300 heart rate monitor. Do I need it? No. Does it have some secret scientific properties for my workouts? Nope, not that either. Has it motivated me to work harder, more efficiently, and more consistently? You betcha! So, for me, I've gotten every pennies worth out of it and then some, even though it would probably be an unnecessary purchase for many people (and it has it's own share of woo).

Just make sure you are honest with yourself. Ultimately, it's less than $50 so it probably doesn't make any difference, but I just like to see people make reasoned choices about these things.

Thank you! That was very helpful. It gives me a better start than buying something and hoping it worked.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

Perhaps if you were interested in learning you could actually look them up instead of expecting people to spoon feed you answers.......but I suppose that would take initiative.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Wow! I attacked someone!?
    it seems the people replying here have a problem reading.
    Don't you think this was extremely rude to someone who gave up a little bit of their time to try and help you?

Maybe just skip the answers you don't understand or ask them to explain if you can't understand or research what are really everyday fitness acronyms?

Anyway....
    My two cents - have a serious think if you want a high intensity interval based routine or a steady state routine to get you started and build an endurance and fitness base before pushing on to something more strenuous as you say you are a complete beginner.

• jbeim4
    jbeim4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the program and did my first workout last night. I am extremely out of shape and of course liked the idea of 15 minute workouts and being able to rest when I need to. The 15 minutes went by very quickly and I can feel it in my legs today, so I must have done something right. I couldn't do a lot of the moves super well yet, but some were better than others. I'm not normally someone who loves this type of exercise; I did the gym thing for about a year and a half but I'm usually happier just walking. To be honest, I purchased it seriously doubting this is something I would continue for life (although wouldn't that be great?!) but if it jump-starts my weight loss and getting back into better shape, than I will be happy. And I'm not doing the super strict protein shake diet part of it. I'd rather do a more common sense approach to my diet - cutting back on carbs, just eating healthier overall - a more realistic approach for me.

I'll try to let you know how it goes.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com
    You can select complete workout and nutrition plans for free based on experience, goals, etc. They also have a video database for how to do all kinds of different lifts/exercises. They also have tons of articles on fitness and nutrition. Great place to start, for free!